Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
I've whored out this picture enough in here but I love this car. It turns the most mundane drive to work into something I actually look forward to. That is, until I get to work.

It's a 2004 330i ZHP 6-speed, the only option is a sunroof. I hate leather interiors so it was a bonus that this is the only way (in the US) to get a cloth (and Alcantara) interior. I bought it last year with 14,000 (!) miles on it. Still under free maintenance, then I've got CPO warranty until 2010. I cross-shopped the TL, G35, IS, and none of them had the same driving experience. I'm hooked on snobby rich-people cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Owning a BMW is like owning any other car. You get used to people cutting you off and not letting you merge because you're an rear end in a top hat in a BMW.

I can't overstate this effect - the difference from driving a beige Maxima to my Bimmer is night and day. Nobody lets me into traffic anymore and it seems like more people speed up to block me out of a space in traffic. People just assume you're a jackass and treat you as such.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

snowsrfr posted:

Couple it's general awesomeness with the 4yr, 50k pay-for-nothing warranty, and you have EPIC WIN.

The car is awesome, but please do not go 15k miles between oil changes like BMW thinks is appropriate. They're insane unless your driving is all 55mph steady at 2500rpm. Get it changed at least every 7,500 miles. BMW won't pay for it but it's worth it for the life of your engine. My local German car repair/race prep shop tells me stories about the horrors they see in late model BMWs after years of 15k-mile oil changes.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
I have a CPO BMW but I'm going to argue devil's advocate for a moment - BMW doesn't pay for oil changes except for 15k miles. If I were to buy a CPO car with 50k on it you'd better believe I'd be very, very wary of the condition of the engine if it lived its life in city traffic. Mine had 14k on it when I bought it and the oil had been changed twice due to the low miles in 2 years of ownership.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Pimpsolo posted:

Anyone have any experience with anything like this, have any ideas about what's wrong, or might be able to point me in the direction of a good independent shop that has the ability to scan the computer witout raping me anywhere in or around Tampa, Florida?
There's a great shop on Hillsborough Ave between Dale Mabry and the Veterans called Vortex Motorsport - that's who I've always trusted with my car. The shop looks like a hospital, only instead of patients they mostly have race cars (Porsches and BMWs being the specialties). Great people and extremely knowledgeable. Email info@vortexmotorsport.com about the situation and they'll get back to you quickly.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I just got back from a 2000+ mile road trip in my E36, and it was a fantastic car in the Appalachians. When I got to Myrtle Beach (my destination) I found I needed new rear tires. The Bridgestone Potenza RE960ASs that I had on there had gone almost completely bald in under 15k miles. The fronts were fine. Is this normal?

I had the local Firestone dealer replace them, and they do an inspection for free, and told me my suspension looked fine. Anything I should re-look at in particular?

They did notice that I needed new rear brakes, which Im doing this weekend. I bought the bleeder tool from Bavarian Autosport, because I plan on bleeding the brakes and the clutch... is this a pain in the rear end to do? I've never bled brakes before.
I'd get the alignment actually checked instead of eyeballing it after you replace the tires, but I wouldn't assume anything's wrong. My E46 chews through rear tires at about that rate... wrote off a perfectly good set of Pilot Sports in 15k miles and the fronts look to last about twice that long.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Adnuo posted:

2003 330i

Lately my idle has been really weak. Instead of comfortably sitting around indicated 850RPM it fluctuates between 500 and 650RPM, dipping as low as 400RPM on occasion. My first thought was fuel delivery, my second was air. I replaced the spark plugs 4k miles ago, oil 2k miles ago, and the air filter 25k miles ago but it's immaculate upon physical inspection.

What's likely plaguing my car?
Is it a manual? I had the same issue about a year ago - there's either a TSB or something similar on this and the dealer should be able to find it - there's a computer update that fixes it.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Garth Fader posted:

Honestly in my neighbourhood every other car is a recent model BMW. Sort of ruins the image of the brand for them to outnumber toyota camry's around here.

I think I'm the only person in the world that likes living in a place where there are a lot of nicer cars. I don't really care if it makes my Bimmer seem more "common", they already use them for taxis in the rest of the world. I feel like less of a conspicuous douche this way just for buying the car I really wanted, image aside.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Zeinin posted:

Hey, I need some advice on how much to pay for this

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ctd/1166914868.html

2005 330ci drop top with navi, ZHP, Premium and cold weather package. with 3k miles left of warranty service (47k miles). It is a bit over desired price to pay, but all the features I want are on it. They are asking $24k for it, would asking $22k cash be a low-ball?

That seems like a pretty good deal as is (that's a $50k car easily when new) but cash talks - bring it in and tell them what your price is. You can always wait for the next one. I admit I haven't kept up on ZHP pricing since I bought mine but like I said, that seems good since the convertibles always command a premium (all E46's not just ZHP).

/edit - one more thing, find out the original in-service date. The warranty starts from that date, so for a 2005 it may be expired already.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Taymar posted:

I was told that only late 04 (october?) and newer head units are mp3 compatible; is it possible your car was built before then but not registered until 05?

Mine's an 04/04 and doesn't play mp3 cds, but plays most audio cd-rs ok.

Congratulations, that's a beautiful car.

It shouldn't be, I think I might have the latest possible 2004 model and mine was built 6/04 IIRC. The switch-over to MP3 head units was earlier in 2004, I think around February. At any rate my 2004 plays MP3s... it might be different with the Navi head unit though.

Great looking car!

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

peterjmatt posted:

Short answer: yes. Go back to the tail lamp, unplug the connector and look at the face of the connector on the harness. More than likely there will be a neat little melted circle in the black plastic around the ground pin (pin #2 on the left side, #3 on the right. Big brown wire). If you see some melting, there's a fairly cheap and easy repair which involves adding an additional grounding point to the tail lamp assemblies. If you're mechanically inclined I could walk you through it, but you'll need a handful of cheap parts from a BMW dealer (or a really well stocked independent) and some crimping pliers.

If you see no melting at all then I'd examine the pins on the tail lamp assemblies for corrosion. If there's no corrosion I'd go ahead and replace the bulbs in the side that's giving you trouble. Sometimes the filaments fail, then manage to solder themselves back onto their posts forming a poor connection that fails sporadically. Bulbs are cheap anyway.

This is what you're looking for - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=533309&highlight=melted+tail+light
BMW Service Bulletin - http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/B630306g.htm

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago on my '04 330i. Dealer took care of it under warranty.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
Most BMWs I've ever seen including the X5s have noticeable negative camber, it's just how they are.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
I'm selling my 330i ZHP before I move - it deserves a better life than parked on the street in DC without moving for days at a time.

Shameless plug - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177707

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
Can't tell you much about 5-speed versus 6-speed since I have a 2004 ZHP, but...

ynotony posted:

Then we have the ZHP which definitely has some nice features, but it is much harder to find and I wonder if it will really feel like a better car

Stock for stock, yes, absolutely. It's a little quicker, sounds a lot better, handles better, and looks better. Not to mention you get the interior trim upgrades and Alcantara upholstery.

quote:

or have any kind of additional costs over non zhp like maintenance and insurance.

No additional costs apart from the higher cost of entry.

Caveat - if you're buying a car to mod then don't bother paying the ZHP premium, you'll probably change most of what makes a ZHP special in the first place. If you're buying it to leave mostly stock, the ZHP is by far the best factory E46 4-door you can buy, and the difference is noticeable. It's a more lively, connected car and more fun to drive.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
What exactly is going on here?

I see M3 wheel, seats, mirrors, motor (or just a cosmetic plate?), and body moldings but it's got a standard 3-series bumper, standard wheels, and it's listed as a 1996, when I thought the convertible wasn't made until 1999.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Battle Cattle posted:

Does anyone drive an E90 328i? I was wondering why the gas mileage on my mom's is pretty terrible, average of 17.1 in 90% 'city' driving. My Mazdaspeed manages 23.3 and I'm not exactly hypermiling it.

If she drives really short trips that sounds about right... if I drove a whole tank just to work and back (2 miles each way) in my E46 when I still had it I'd get about that.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

Wow, pricing on the West Coast loving rules. Not fair. East would expect to pay anywhere from 4500-7000.

Seriously... I don't even drive regularly and I'd buy something like that for $3k just to have it. Whoever gets that is drat lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Crustashio posted:

So I'm going to look at this tomorrow:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Used-W0QQAdIdZ446477485

Yes, they've made some horrible aesthetic choices, but it only has 90,000km, is a 5spd and has been winter stored. Wouldn't take much to restore the proper black kidneys and trim.

Wow. I haven't seen Momo Arrows on a car in at least a decade. Those might be worth something to just the right person. Very 90s.