Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004
I LUV HONDA <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~

TractionControl posted:

E90 M5, E30 325iS, E36 318ti, E46 M3.

That is pretty much my car, only mine is a 90. They are awesome. I looked for mine for 2 years. It was most definitely worth the wait, I smile every time I get in it.

it's e60 m5... e90 is the 3 series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004

TractionControl posted:

I'm retarded. I just test drove the E90 M3 with my uncle(who owns the M5). It was thrilling.

Heheh, I get to do it again, it's e92 m3, it's the coupe.

edit: I guess I'll post more than just correcting tractioncontrol on stupid poo poo...

I drive an e28 m5. With the suspension and brakes done, I love it. The car in it's current state oversteers when you give it gas in 1st, will even do it at the top of 2nd if the turns tight enough (around 55-60 though, so not necessarily a good idea). Less tight turns or turns above 2nd gear it will slightly understeer on the throttle and slightly oversteer off the throttle. It isn't fast by today's standards, but it'll still beat all the eco cars, and I'd put the engine note up there with anything. It screams like you'd expect a race car to and yet it sounds much smoother than a v8, but also has a slight mechanical sound to it that separates it from the sound of most newer engines.

Doesn't have the highest grip, but it lets you have fun with car control at non-retarded speeds.

160k or so, rebuilt top end, maybe more (maintenance isn't clear on the rest), euro suspension setup, 540i rear brake upgrade, JC chip.

Reposted pics from the mods thread:

RandomG fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 29, 2008

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004
drat, you're right, they do have a 4 door now don't they.

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

That sounds really tempting, I'll have to look if I can scavenge up the money and get the car to a point where I won't be paranoid about flogging it.

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004

Admirable Gusto posted:

(we put small engines in cars in Asia hurr)

Heh, I loved seeing the e65 730i, the e60 518i, I think I remember a e90 320i also on my trip to China. Saw a 760i in Shanghai, that's way more balla there, even though it is here too.

It's funny to think that WOT these days doesn't necessarily mean your throttle's all the way open with DBW stuff.

BraveUlysses posted:

Well you need a track inspection ($35) from one of the local indie shops before they'll let you on the track and a BMWCCA membership ($50/yr) but the inspection would reveal any potential problems. There will be another event on 5/1 and I should be at that one too.

My car's 20 years old, my front right tire has a chunk missing that my instructor wasn't comfortable with last time, but who didn't keep me from going out, I need to adjust a few valves and I don't have the s38/s14 tool, and $300 ($450 or so with the valve adjust tool) is a lot of money for me right now.

Part of me thinks I'm an idiot for flogging a car this old, and the other part thinks that it can handle it and that any big problems with the car will show themselves slowly.

RandomG fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004

3363 posted:

9pm, Ikea parking lot empty, it's raining, I turn off DSC, put the Automatic into 2nd and plan to dori dori around the back. Before I know it I just did some bizarre figure 8 360 degree spin and am rolling backwards before the transmission locks up. Restart the car, all is fine, but I sure as poo poo am confused as to how anyone could drive something 300-500hp in the rain. This is on a 323i and it felt like I was a Caterham sliding on a nonstick skillet.

In general, the more hp the more exact you have to be with the throttle. Also, you must have really given it some gas and not been ready to countersteer if you were spinning at that speed.