Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
E39 and the ZF trans -

I picked up a mostly maintenance unseen 525i 2003 recently and I am currently working on the deferred maintenance.

Did a cooling overhaul
CCV changes
New MAF

Not sure if the transmission had had a change ever. It currently has a delay into reverse I'm worried about and not sure how to change the fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
My E39 has 150k on it and still feels solid as ever, really fun cruiser. Granted it's only a m54b25

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
E34 M5 has the souped up i6 in the M3 doesn't it? I think that probably the best option.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Fun fact: if you have a mechanical tensioner on an e39 i6, check it for noise and movement. I did a cooling overhaul and still had a noise - the mechanical tensioner was about to spread all my hard work.

Hydraulic tensioner replacement feels much better.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

blk posted:

I have to do the valve cover gasket on my E46. Looks like PO did plugs at 129k/2017. I'm at 160k now. Should I replace them while I'm doing the VCG? Anything else while I'm in there?

id check vanos for sure

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
does navy blue count

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

My E39 has the Blue-Water Metallic colour, which seems to be the lighter version of that. Look very silvery until you put it next to an actual silver car. It fits the E39.

Mines the darker blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
I prefer the e39 over the e46 just for the simple fact usually an e39 is mostly taken care of if it's the i6 and I've seen some terrible ratbox e46s