Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Aindriu posted:

which is great for me because I'm looking for a bigger engined e46 like the 323ci

D'awww, that's cute. :3:

I kid, I kid, I've experienced European (Irish, even) gas prices first hand. Though from what I've read, don't all the 6 cylinder E46s get fairly close fuel economy if you aren't caning the hell out of them? Even the US EPA says that the 323, 325, 328, and 330 all get about 18/27 mpg (13L/100km / 8.7L/100km) city/highway, give or take 1 mpg depending on the specific model. I know that's far from gospel, but most message boards seem to indicate that a 6-cyl E46 will get low-mid 20s combined which seems to agree.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

tesko.pk posted:

I get in the low 20's for city mpg, and nearly 40mpg cruising on the highway, 2004 320i.

US or Imperial gallons? (I only ask since the US never got the E46 320i, so I'm assuming you're in Europe.)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Do the 5-speeds really not have an overdrive 5th gear? So is the 6-speed's gear ratios pretty similar to the 5-speed's + a super tall final 6th?

Edit: Man, this is what I love about BMWs. You can find information about every little detail of the car so freakin' easily. Ratios are the same between sedan and coupe, and both have the same 2.93 final drive.

330i E46 Sedan manual 4.21 2.49 1.66 1.24 1.00 --

330i 6spd E46 Sedan manual 4.35 2.5 1.66 1.23 1.00 0.85

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 6, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yep, poo poo like that is why I'm mentally budgeting $500-1000 in immediate maintenance items (plugs, wires, filters, fluids, etc.), and another $1000-1500 in within-the-first-few-months items (e.g., cooling, suspension bushings, motor/tranny mounts, etc.) for when I find a new car. Fortunately the basic stuff is easy DIY and a fraction of the cost of a mechanic doing it.

Can't trust anyone, especially a dealer, to take care of even the most basic things on a car. :(

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Are there any particular problems with the ZHP cars outside of typical E46 problem spots? It still shares like 99% of the same parts as a regular E46 right, so maintenance costs are virtually identical?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ynotony posted:

Yep. I refreshed my cooling system for the price of one M3 water pump. Same model designation means insurance is the same too.

Argh, that's great news, but looking for a ZHP narrows my E46-hunt that much more. Might be worth it, though...

Though I'm seeing some real nice looking ZHPs in Southern California that I could potentially one-way jet down there for for the right price...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ooof, I drove a new E92 328i 6MT yesterday, and man was it nice. It exceeded my expectations of driving feel, steering response, and just general tightness and precision. In particular, it's one of the few newer cars I've driven that didn't have too much steering slop or far too much steering boost.

I really hope the good condition '04 E46 330 that I'm going to look at in the next day or two can live up to that benchmark, because 15k is a lot more palatable than 40k.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

So I went and looked at an 04 330Ci today. Loaded, 6MT, 55k miles, black/black, and generally seemed to be in great shape. Dealer serviced with records. Paint is in generally great shape, with only the most minor of rock chips on the front fascia, and one or two very very small dents/scratches on the rest of the body. Electrics all seem to work, interior is virtually pristine, and it runs and drive nice and smooth. Didn't see any leaky fluids at a glance, and the suspension didn't make any funny noises, and no evidence of any paint or body work that I can see. I'm really seriously considering going back tomorrow and buying it.

The only thing that stuck out just a tiny bit is that the front bumper doesn't quite perfectly align on the passenger wheel well. It's only misaligned by like 1cm, if that, but nonetheless. I can pretty much push it into the "right" place without much effort, but it doesn't stay there. The Carfax report is clean, so that's some peace of mind, but I know Carfax is not infallible. Am I being overly concerned about this one little flaw on an otherwise excellent car?

Edit: I know it's due for an Inspection II ("the big one") in very short order, and I'm weighing that into the price. I'm already planning on taking whatever I buy to one of the reputable independant German shops in town regardless, so with this one I'll just go and do Inspection II pretty much right away.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 19, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

So I finally did it. After months of waiting, watching, and deliberation, the perfect car popped up right near me for a great price.

2004 330Ci 6MT, Sport/Premium/Cold packages, 56k miles, dealer maintained, 2 owners, and with an extra set of wheels with Blizzaks on them. Interior is absolutely pristine - seriously, it looks brand new. Exterior is 9/10 with only some minor expected rock chipping on the front, and a couple very very small dings on the rest of the body. The wheels are almost entirely free of any curb rash.

Picked it up late last week, just now finally getting around to posting it. Been too busy driving it around and enjoying it. So far it's absolutely perfect. I've probably put 300-400 problem-free miles on just over the weekend.

I know it's due for Inspection II soon, so probably within the next month or two I will schedule it with one of the best independent German shops in town and get it up to date on whatever it might need. I'll be doing typical regular maintenance on it myself, but this first Inspection II I want to have the pros do just so I can have a record of it for the future, and for peace of mind.

This car is an absolute joy to drive. The handling, feeling, and precision are just top-notch - and that's a big compliment coming from a good condition NA Miata (discounting things like road noise and comfort, of course). And soooo much faster. I love it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The HIDs are the factory lights - the car is completely stock. They're auto-leveling (you can watch it when you turn the car on or crest steep hills) and they're also the ones that turn along with the steering wheel. They're just really blown out in the picture since it was a kind of dark garage. Driving around, the cutoff is extremely sharp and proper.

I paid about 15 for the car with the extra wheels.

VVVV Yeah, adaptive! That's the word I was looking for.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 24, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Speaking of headlights, holy balls do the adaptive HIDs own. Was just out for a spin on some long twisty roads with lots of hairpins and sweepers, and the difference between adaptive and fixed is pretty noticeable. They're definitely not a gimmick.

Also, as it turns out, Michelin Pilot Sports just love to hug pavement. Amazing tires. Not sure that I'd personally pay the nearly $300 per tire for them, but I sure as hell will enjoy the nearly new ones on it for a while!

Just about the only thing on this car that isn't perfect is that the iPod integration is kind of underwhelming. Sounds great, but the interface (i.e., almost total lack of one) sucks pretty bad. Can I just pop the radio out and swap the aux cable from an iPod connector to a standard 3.5mm plug? I know I'd lose track control from the steering wheel/head unit, but being able to actually see/choose what is playing would be worth it.

Edit: At least until the new Android-based Dynavin units come out. :coal:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 24, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Aindriu posted:

Test drove my future e46 320ci today. Besides the warning light and central locking buttons not working, a dodgey lcd display on the radio

Run away while you still can.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There's definitely a line to walk between obsessive "preventative" maintenance and just waiting for disastrous failure. When something starts to feel off, starts making a funny sound/smell, or when your car throws up a warning light/message, the time to act is before it turns into a serious problem.

Of course keep up to date on all scheduled maintenance items, but completely replacing entire systems/components that aren't exhibiting any signs of problem or failure tends to be a bit heavy-handed unless there is a specific part that is very clearly known to fail spectacularly without warning and there is a revised/improved part to replace it with (e.g., plastic impeller water pump).

Yeah, I know there are some particular problem spots on these cars, but I think that being aware of them, knowing what the symptoms are (and how to respond to them), and keeping an extra eye out in watching/reacting is going to keep you in pretty good shape. It's the letting a problem exist and worsen that typically leads to disaster (and large mechanic bills).

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Wow, the more I drive and get acquainted with my new E46, the more and more I love it. It's all the little details that are really the icing on this otherwise delicious piece of German chocolate cake.

The rain-sensing wipers kick rear end (drove in the rain for the first time today). I know they're becoming more common on newer cars, but it's the first car I've owned with them. Now I'll never be able to go back to a car without them. Plus if they're active they'll flip the headlights on, too.

The hugely adjustable electric sport seats are comfy and supportive as hell.

The subtle, but functional, ambient cabin lighting around the interior lights switches is a nice touch. Similarly, that all the interior lights fade out gently when turning off is also a nice effect.

The stereo that increases/decreases volume with the car speed is neat. Also, the Radio Data System is useful.

That the gas door has no release and locks/unlocks with the rest of the car. Kinda cool.

Every interior button, compartment, sliding cover, and panel presses/opens/closes smoothly and feels nice to the touch. The whole cabin is such a nice thing to interact with. It's so evident that it was clearly thought out ahead of time, and designed to be one whole cohesive interior.

I promise this'll be my last post just rambling about how awesome my new car is, but I'm seriously in love with it. I now totally understand why so many BMW enthusiasts think BMW achieved such perfection with the E46... because they kinda sorta did. My old E34 (prior to the Miata) was super nice, but wow what a difference 15 years make.

The only thing that sucks is the OEM iPod integration.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 26, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Huh, guess my E34 (1990) either didn't have it, or it was broken and long since disabled before I got it. You could always open the gas door regardless of car lock status. I thought that was kind of weird.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Not counting the money shift (ouch, my condolences), that doesn't sound too terrible considering the age and miles. The only things that truly "broke" were the starter, rad fan, and expansion tank (cracked, I assume?), and those aren't particularly serious. Everything else is pretty much expected maintenance and wear items.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If those are the worst problems (without the money shift) that happen to me on my E46, I'll be a happy man. Nothing catastrophic, and sounds like most everything was caught early before they stranded you somewhere or turned into serious problems. Short of the clutch, I'd be confident enough in my skills to DIY. Even the clutch I could probably do, but it'd be a major pain in the rear end without a lift.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Do you drive an M3 or a 3xx? Sounds like exactly what I am looking for in a car.

330Ci. My "hey look at my new car" post is on the last page. :)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

revmoo posted:

You should keep every receipt for everything you ever spend on your car. With the exception of gas purchases maybe.

Yep. Even for oil changes I print out a piece of paper with the date, car mileage, and short description of what I did and if I saw anything out of the ordinary, then staple the receipt(s) to it and file it away with the rest of my car paperwork.

Last time I did spark plugs I even took pictures of each old plug to have record of what they looked like. /ocd

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Holy crap. Good catch, that would have been baaaad news.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Motronic posted:

If you think you're going go out and beat the odds because you are a special and unique little flower, you go for that.

I financed about 2/3 my 7 year old E46, with a pretty good 3.9% APR - which even if I only make minimum payments (lol, way more than that) on for the next 4 years comes out to a grand total of about $1000 in interest paid. Though I could have paid cash, it would have hurt real bad to rape my liquid cash savings like that. Granted, an 04 330ci is a bit different than an 04 Neon, but still.

Financing is just a tool, it all comes down to how you use it. Unfortunately, an astounding portion of the population is positively terrible with money.

However, once we're talking about 22 year old E30s and E34s... yeah, if you can't afford cash you can't afford it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 1, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

Any huge difference between the E46 325 and the 330? I'm selling my current car (06 G35 Coupe), because I don't want to pay payments anymore, but what I can tell is that the 330 is faster, but ride wise is there much of a difference?

The 325 is a bit cheaper in my searches thus far.

I believe that the chassis and suspension setup is pretty much identical between the 325 and 330, but whatever you do definitely get a car with the sport package. That'll make more of a difference in feel, feedback, and comfort than a bit of extra power. The sport seats, especially the coupe's sport seats, are a thousand times better than the non-sport pizza boxes. The difference in seats alone makes the sport package worth it.

I just bought a loaded 04 330Ci a couple weeks ago, and it is just about the perfect car. If you can find a good 330 I'd say go for a 330 since you get extra power with pretty much identical fuel economy (or even better according to a poster above me?), and a 330 will hold its value a bit better than a 325 as well. Especially coming from a G35, a 325 is going to be way down on power, but it will still handle sublimely if the suspension is in good shape.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 3, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

RoyalScion posted:

I've been looking to find a used BMW 3-series from the E46 era, likely a 1999 323i or 328i. Is there anything I should definitely know about them with regards to common problems or other points of interest?

The 323/328 have the notorious, if perhaps overblown, rear subframe tearing itself apart problem. Definitely get any 323/328 checked out for rear subframe problems.

Edit: The Bimmerfest wiki article on the E46 is a goldmine of info, especially on year-to-year changes. http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 3, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

geeteeslow posted:

:words:

You bought a heavily modified and abused M3, and you were expecting a reliable DD? :lol:

And then complain about normal scheduled maintenance and regular wear items that have probably been overdue for quite some time now. And you bought it with a trashed paint job, and then complain about having it repainted? :lol::lol:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Steve French posted:

As far as I've been able to determine, at least in the US market, the 328i wagon is the only car that fits all of these criteria.

The current E90/91/92 is a really good car, and the new all wheel drive system is hugely improved over the E46-era AWD. If you're looking for a manual AWD compact wagon with leather interior that is fun to drive, in the US I think that pretty much limits you to the E91 328i/xi and the A4 Avant.

From my recent experiences driving a 328i, 328xi, and A4 quattro (albeit none in wagon form), I think the BMWs "feel" better - but that's why I'm in this thread. I'm sure if you asked over in the Audi thread you'd find plenty of people saying the opposite. The BMW has more horsepower and handles sharper (IMO), but the Audi has quite a bit more torque and might return a couple higher MPG in the fuel economy department - against the 328xi at least. I don't think you can really go wrong with either, and total maintenance costs probably won't be far off from a VW (or free for 4 years if you buy a new BMW...).

Guinness fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 4, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

dissss posted:

I didn't think you could still get a manual on the A4.

Doh, guess you can't get an Avant with a manual, but you can still get the Sedan with one (which is what I test drove). Well, I guess that rules out the Audi.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/05/bmw-spills-all-the-beans-on-new-1-series/

Looks like the new 1er is going in a pretty new direction. Not sure what to think of the new big-snout sharp-angle-eye fascia being slapped onto such a small car. I don't think it looks bad, but it is far from love at first sight. Like most of BMWs designs, it'll probably grow on me.

My biggest gripes are probably the cheap-looking rear end, and that the whole car kind of looks like it's trying to be an X1/X3 instead of a hot hatch.

At least they got rid of the sagging door line of the E81.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 6, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I agree, the blue one's kidneys look a lot better in all silver. The front end I do actually kind of like, and it's already starting to grow on me. I also really like the short overhangs. It's just the rear that kills me. It just looks like a really cheap, bland car from the back. I blame the tail lights, but there's more to it than that and I just can't put my finger on it.

I'm still more excited about the upcoming F30 3-series, however. Supposedly BMW is also going to shorten the overhangs on the F30 even more than the E90, and I'm hoping it really makes for an aggressive/sporty looking car.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 6, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The M-Sport package looks to drastically improve things on the F20.

Still looks like babby's first X3 though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Chernobyl Prize posted:

It's a 2006 325i with 104,000 miles

Don't bother. There's nothing special about that car to make it worth that price and hassle. It's a uber common automatic 325i, has higher than average miles, had an accident bad enough to show up on Carfax. The price isn't nearly good enough to justify that.

If you're hunting for ZHPs/330s, you'll regret getting a 325i pretty fast. At least get a 330, it's worth it.

I was on the ZHP hunt, but I found a beautiful loaded black/black 2004 330Ci 6MT with 55k miles, a clean carfax, and extra set of wheels with Blizzaks for about the same price as that 325. It's not a ZHP, but the performance difference is pretty minimal and I actually prefer the silver trim and Style 71s to the ZHP shadowline trim (on a black car) and Style 135s.

Edit: Also, the 2006 is an E90. A good E46 ZHP/330 looks waaaay better than one of those pre-facelift E90s.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 8, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Just filled up my tank for the third time since I've owned my 330, and for the third time the car nailed its own MPG calculation down to the decimal point compared to the manual trip odo/gallons filled calculation. I'm super impressed, especially since each tank was very different driving styles.

Tank 1: 22.5mpg - enjoying new car's gas pedal, pretty even mix of city/highway
Tank 2: 26.8mpg - 75/25 highway/city, moderate aggressiveness, cruising 75-80
Tank 3: 20.6mpg - super lead foot on fun drives, rest mostly city & commuting in traffic

Amazing that it's getting about the same fuel economy as my old Miata despite an extra 1000 pounds, 1.2 liters, and 2 cylinders. Seems it really is getting nearly 30mpg cruising on the freeway at ~75mph, as indicated by the instantaneous MPG gauge. Hurray modern technology (and super tall sixth gears)!

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 8, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its amazing what these cars will do if you keep your foot out of them.

That's the hard part though, because it's also amazing what these cars will do if you really put your foot into them.

I used to get such poo poo gas mileage in my old E34 535i 5MT back in the day. That M30 was unbelievably bulletproof, but it was an ancient and thirsty beast even by 1990 standards (it evolved from the 1961 M10). I'd be lucky to get 21-22mpg on the freeway, and would get 13-15 in the city and in stop and go. God it was a fun car, though.

The E46 is hugely improved in that arena, though, and the M54 is a way more modern and efficient motor even when getting caned.

E: It's kind of nuts to think that that old M30, when new, was putting down almost the same power as the M54, though, with only 0.45 extra liters. Not as responsive as the M54, but just nearly about as smooth in its delivery.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 8, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's not a ZHP, that's a sport package with the optional 18" style 71s. The other dead giveaway is lack of shadowline trim.

It'd be a very good car, but it's way overpriced.

Chernobyl Prize posted:

How do you know for sure if it's a ZHP just from the photos? I look for the clear signal lights and the black window lining. I can't always see if the wheels and steering are M branded. Are the red gauge needles only red for ZHPs?

2004+ coupes with sport package, not just ZHPs, have clear corners from the factory, but it's also a common aftermarket modification.

Shadowline trim was a factory option on ZHPs, but it's a common and easy modification that a lot of owners do to their cars.

The red gauge needles are only on the ZHP. The Style 135 wheels are also usually a dead giveaway, along with the M-branded wheel and shifter.

I know ZHPs are great and all, but a really clean 330 sport package is definitely worth considering if you don't want to wait and wait and wait or fly across the country for a ZHP.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 8, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Chinatown posted:

FYI I looked for ~2 months before finding a good ZHP, then I got to negotiate with the dealer for it for 45 days due to their ridiculous asking price. Have fun on your search! (lol)

Yeah, people selling used "regular" BMWs are bad enough with overvaluing them. I've seen some positively retarded asking prices on pretty run-of-the-mill Bimmers. When someone with a ZHP (who knows what it is) is selling it, they seem to think it's plated in gold when coming up with an asking price. Maybe there are people out there paying ludicrous prices, I don't know, but when I was E46 hunting I saw a number of ZHPs for sale with crazy price tags that went unsold for weeks/months.

Yeah, they're fantastic cars, but they 1) aren't THAT rare, and 2) aren't THAT much different from a 330 sport. The very slightly hotter engine and slightly shorter rear diff are cool but ultimately not a huge difference. The steering rack is the same on all the later 330s, and the suspension on any used BMW with 50k+ miles is going to need freshening up/replacing/upgrading in short order regardless, so the suspension difference is pretty moot. Beyond that it's mostly cosmetic stuff, much of which can be easily done to a non-ZHP car for little cost. I've driven both and IMO the ZHP isn't worth the 3-5k premium sellers seem to demand compared to a similar condition 330 sport.

Don't get me wrong, if you're willing to wait it out and play the game with sellers to get a fair price, get a ZHP. They are the "best" E46 short of an M3 without a doubt, but just not by as much as their almost-mythical reputation would have you believe.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 8, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sterndotstern posted:

Not to mention that early run cars still tend to have fettling to be done in the design, versus a mature (but not obsolete) platform that has all of the advantages of the new cars with none of the disadvantages.

It's kind of like how that old saying goes for Apple products: never buy the first revision of a new model, wait until the kinks and annoyances get worked out.

The same tends to hold true for cars, especially BMWs. I'd much rather have the last car off the line of the old generation than the first car off the line of the new.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Buying a 24 year old German flagship luxury car as a first car that is in questionable condition is a good way to hate life (and end up broke).

You'd probably learn a lot in the process, out of necessity, but you'd hate every moment of it and be living in constant fear of "oh god what expensive thing is going to break when I turn the key this time".

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

revmoo posted:

Also, if the fronts have good tread but are 3-5 years old, they are probably nearly due for replacement anyway. Tread is not the sole determining factor of a tire's condition.

This is so true, and a lot of people don't realize it. Even if there is still tread, after 5 years the rubber compound has likely hardened up to nearly a rock-like state and has lost much of its grip and traction both in dry and (especially) wet conditions.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Where'd you find that stat? Even downsizing from a V10 to a V8TT, I find that really hard to believe.

Oh, drat, it's according to the BMW press release.

BMW posted:

• Significantly improved balance between performance and fuel consumption: acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.4 seconds, 0–200 km/h (124 mph) in 13.0 seconds, top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph (305 km/h / 190 mph with M Driver's Package); average fuel consumption in EU test cycle: 9.9 litres/100 km (28.5 mpg imp); engine output 10 per cent up on predecessor model, maximum torque increased by 30 per cent,
fuel consumption cut by more than 30 per cent; extensive Efficient Dynamics technology, including Auto Start-Stop function and Brake Energy Regeneration.

That's awesome. That's on par with the puny NA 3.0L in my 330Ci, but the M5 makes almost triple the power. Goddamn.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 16, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm really excited to see what BMW ends up doing with the F30 3ers that should be just around the corner. If the F10 5ers are any indication of the direction that BMW is heading in terms of styling, performance, and efficiency, then the next gen 3-series is going to be incredible.

The F10 is basically what the E60 should have been. If they can bring the same level of improvement to the E90, which didn't suffer nearly as bad as the E60 in the first place, then we're in for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not much of a materialistic person, but one of my primary motivations for earning money is so that I can someday own a car with this engine in it, know that I will never really be able to open the hood and do poo poo to it, and not have to care about that.

Brother, I hear you. I enjoy turning a wrench under the hood quite a bit, but that's what project cars are for. I'd rather be able to drive cutting edge technology and not give a gently caress about the costs and maintenance difficulties, and have something a little more old school and simplistic for my own putzing around on in the garage.

Some day...