Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.

wolrah posted:

I know I'm going to get called crazy for this, but here's what I spent the evening installing...

The wiring's still a bit messy, but it'll be moved to an ignition controlled circuit as soon as I find an antenna mount that will handle my driving and can permanently run that line.

That looks like a newish 3 series, so pardon me if I say that your current wiring job looks like it goes over as well as a fart in church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/649753482.html

"Needs a Radiator."

So would I regret going and getting this for $900?

gently caress no, if all it needs is a radiator, you need to buy it or turn in your keys to the AI clubhouse.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Is the X-Brace for the E36 really a worthwhile mod? It's pretty much the last bit of suspension that I have any desire to put on (well, that and the 95 LCA bushings for added caster). If nothing else I figure it's cheap insurance to guard against things hitting my oil pan.

That is the absolute biggest reason I installed mine. Chassis stiffening is just a beneficial side-effect, in my mind.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it should only requiring disconnecting the changer input from the rear of the headunit and attaching the iPod connectivity cable. I've read about the process before, but not ever done it.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Sigma X posted:

Whoo, put new wheels and tires on the coupe finally. Next, to finish the exhaust system, and then to start thinking about where I can pull my transmission to replace the shift pins.

I thought you had an M coupe, not a base Z3 coupe.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Replacing a fuel pressure regulator on an E36: A loving PAIN IN THE rear end, CHRIST. Get a second person to help you hold poo poo out of the way while you work.

Results: no more hesitation, instant throttle response, and finally being able to move faster than a snail in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear while lower than 3k RPMs.

Is the regulator even replaceable independent of the whole fuel rail? I actually think that replacing the fuel rail as a whole unit is probably easier than trying to remove that little SOB.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

thealphabetsez posted:

I have a brand new, OE E32 750 brake master cylinder I would sell you for your big brake upgrade! I never got around to installing it on my E28, but helped Merkin get his in his E24 with stock brakes, which he absolutely loves.

How much are you looking for? I need a replacement MC for my E30/M52 swap.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Mr. Toast posted:

I'm not sure if this is bad form are not, so please tell, but I am parting out a '95 M3 if anyone needs anything. Vaders are gone but most of the stuff is still there, plus some AA goodies. I'd love to see a goon plop my S50 in an E30

PM'ed you. I've got a laundry list of things I need for my M52/E30 swap.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Fire update:

The fire was pretty centralized, thankfully, so the damage really is minimal. The timing belt is toast, about 20% of the teeth are melted off but the engine was off by the time this happened. The hardest part of this will be tracing the wiring for all the sensors on the thermostat housing (11 wires total), but I really don't think it'll be that bad. I just need some new connectors and I'll be set!

You should take this opportunity to pull the engine and replace it with an M52 or S52. The fire was clearly a sign from on high indicating that you should do this.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
From what I've read, while folks recognize the sheer wizardry of the S65 mill in the new M3, that it's just too far removed from what made the S14 in the E30 M3 so incredibly wonderful, in addition to the car itself being a real driver's car. There's actually a great article comparing all four models of the M3 in the newest Grassroots Motorsports. Makes me wish I had an E30 M3 and an E46 M3 instead of an E36 M3.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

CornHolio posted:

yep, thats broken.

Also, I noticed someting rattling around in the back of my car today, so I pull back the trunk lining and find this on the drivers side:

I don't know if its an amp or what, or if its OEM, but its held in with nothing but two tie-wraps. The third one broke. :psyduck:

Well, that is the stock location (roughly) for the OEM amplifier. Probably an amp, almost assuredly aftermarket based on the wiring job.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

I have a request: Can someone please take a picture of the sensors on the thermostat housing on an M20 engine? I'm hopefully going to finish up fixing the fire damage from last week but I'm not 100% sure of the labels I have on the bare wires.

I'll take some photos tonight. Additionally, I just pulled an M20B27 out of my E30 this weekend, and if you need parts, just PM me or reply here.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

CornHolio posted:

huh. We have a 14" SPAL puller fan, water resistant, and our price is $30. We buy them in massive quantities though.

It's SPAL # 30101539 (I dont know what number is on the fan, its always different from the number we order), if you're interested I can go take a picture of one. I can probably get with sales and have them sell it to you for like $35 plus shipping or something.

Can you get a pair of these?

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Are you getting rid of the engine?

I'd like to.

Waffleimages looks to be not accepting images due to lack of mirrors? PM me your email and I'll send you the photos of the thermostat.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
Ok, question time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to remove the lovely foam insulation leftover on the roof of an E30 when you pull out the headliner? Secondarily, what is the consensus on permanently shutting the sunroof? Welding or just riveting/epoxying something in place? This car will be track-duty only, and occasional ventures onto the autocross course.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

I used a heat gun to make removing the foam easier. Had it all off pretty quickly then used goo gone to remove any residue.

For the sunroof I think most people are just welding it, that is what I plan to do. I can't find the thread on E30Tech but I think they shaved as much weight off of the sunroof plate as possible then added some metal stock around the edges to center it and add some rigidity then welding it in there.

Time to hit Harbor Freight for a heat gun that will likely leave me with 2nd degree burns while using it. If you find that thread, post it in here. I seem to recall having seen something on there, but I can't find it either.

I am lining up a manual steering rack for my E30. Hopefully the M52 swap won't make it a complete bear to run around a track. The benefit is not having to worry about your PS pump exploding or PS fluid boiling from overwork while on the track.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

It's a 1999 93,000 mile M3.

I won't be doing the replacement since I'm at school.

If you're going to be replacing the clutch, you should also go ahead and do the other stuff. Or pay someone to do it, whatever. The point is that while you've got the living heart of the beast cored out, might as well go ahead and do some elective surgery while you're in there.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

Right, I realize this. I'm just asking if it is normal for there to be massive extra fees for things that are very minor to do while the tranny is dropped or not. If it wasn't during the school year, I'd certainly attempt this myself and do everything, but I don't want it to get too expensive.

Basically, I'm looking for additional things to replace that won't add a boatload to labor costs and can be done while the clutch is being replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys.

If you go to a reasonable mechanic, there won't be. Replacing a couple of seals on the transmission shouldn't be that much.

What kind of mechanic are you taking it to? Someone who specializes in BMWs and runs his own little shop, or a place that does Porsche/MB/BMW/Audi and could be called the Garaj Mahal? I've found that the latter are usually willing to work with you on things like this.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
Yesterday, I bought some M3 cams out of a busted engine (guy disintegrated the #5 piston in his E36 M3 at Road Atlanta) and some 30# injectors to go with em. The injectors are probably a bit much without doing FI, so now I'm strongly considering some sort of blower for the engine (M52B28 from a '97 528, going into an E30). Cams are in great shape, and I got a good deal on the whole package, including cam ledges. I'll post photos in here once I start in on the head of the engine.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I might be scoring a pair of cheap custom camshafts for my '92 Non-Vanos :dance:

The PO got 225hp at the rear wheels with them using pink tops and a lovely tune. Probably from an optimistic Mustang dyno but but I would be happy with half that gain.

I <3 my Non-Vanos.

What specs on the cams? More lift or just longer duration?

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I'm seriously considering selling this Ultimate Driving Machine once I have it back up and running and just getting an Accord.

But if you do that how is Rory going to stay in business? :(

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Heh. I'm sure he'll get by somehow. Besides, I've been using a dude over on 4th and 41st. He's a one man machine that has decent prices and does great work. He replaced my bearings for me in the rear for like $300 after Rory quoted me out like $1100. He also re-soldered my brake light housing connection for free so my brake light would stop throwing a code and not working.

Ah yes, Stephen Wittkop. That man is a national loving treasure. He fixed my shitbird crossthreaded sparkplug (thanks, previous owner!) for $300 after Rory quoted me TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS to pull the head and do it.

Incidentally, we need to get the band back together and go to lunch. Preferably before you dispose of the M3.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
Get the M roadster. You will not regret it.

Also, just got in the manual (!) steering rack for my E30 project car. Pictures coming shortly. Only $140 shipped from Germany, and it's brand new.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Jesus thats a good price. Mind if I ask where you got it?

ebay.de, and a seller willing to ship to the US. I put my two years of high school German to work for me. :D

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

maxallen posted:

I've been getting an intermittent coolant light on my '01 330Ci. I kept forgetting to check the level when it was truly cold, but I finally did this morning, and it was right between the two dots on the stick. Do I just have a bad sensor, or is there something else that could be causing this? On a related note, I've never seen my temp sensor climb more than a tick above straight up, so I don't seem to be having any cooling issues.

E: Forgot to mention, the car's got 115k on the clock, the PO replaced the cooling system around 90k or so they said.

I've had the same problem, but I know that I need to replace my cooling system. I'm confident my issue is a stuck float level sensor - yours may (or may not :v:) be the same.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Dogtanian posted:

My '02 E65 735i

I've had it just over a week now. She's got just under 50,000 miles, full service history and is in beautiful condition with all the usual bells & whistles that I'm still trying to learn.

I'm sadly not a rich old man, but I was bitten by the luxury car bug a while back when I bought a Jaguar XJ6 Sport and completely fell head over heels. Eventually I decided to get something easier on the pocket and traded it in for a Ford Mondeo (not sure what the US equivalent of this is - Taurus?, think dull family saloon) but it just wasn't me. Chanced onto this 7 series with an offer I would have been stupid to walk away from and I have to say I'm over the moon.

That is quite a beautiful car. I'm envious, we never got the 735i over here - which in light of recent developments (re: oil prices) is a giant mistake in my opinion.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

OxMan posted:

I'm about ready to finally pull the trigger on an E36 at the end of this month (when I should have my tax refund too), and I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing anything.

What I want: E36 92-95 (I hear about VANOS issues 96+), as close to, preferably under, 100k miles, manual (duh) preferably 2 door but will settle for 4, and paying about 3500-4000 in California.

I've read up on all of the maintenance for the E36s of about that mileage (IE: http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=55), have about 1500 budgeted for the said parts (car will not be a daily driver, or at least one that I will DEPEND on, as I don't commute to work, public transportation)

My questions are these:

For the maintenance stuff above, what am I looking in terms of "skill" and tools needed to get that stuff done on my own? Time is not a factor, as, like I said, I don't have to drive it to work or anything. I've done maintenance and part replacements on my Sentra but nothing really crazy like messing with the engine/transmission/suspension.

What should I look for as being signs of "something bad" while taking it out on a test drive from a potential seller?

Finally, what's a good community resource (other than Bimmerforums which I've registered on) for other "work on your own car" enthusiasts around the San Jose area?

Thanks, I look forward to joining this thread proper soon. :p

You want a VANOS car. The 'issues' are not significant enough that they should deter you from wanting one with the variable timing, in my opinion. The added power is incredibly addictive.

Skillwise, I tend to think that working on BMWs is easier than working on many other types of cars. YMMV. Tools, you'll need at least a good torque wrench and a complete set of metric sockets + wrenches.

Something bad... look for rust, obviously. Check the rear strut towers for signs of damage (not likely). See if the car makes weird noises in a parking deck while making tight radius turns. Check to see if the steering wheel rumbles or vibrates above 80mph, and while braking sharply. Check for power steering fluid leaks from the PS cooler attached to the rack (should be obvious). There's a million little things I could think of, but don't have the time right now.

Bimmerforums is the 'least bad' BMW site, I think. My favorite BMW resources are the Bentley E36 manual (get it, now, before you get the car), 101 Projects for your 3-Series (also available via PelicanParts.com), realoem.com (basically the entire BMW ETK/Parts list online), and getbmwparts.com (Tischer BMW in Silver Springs, MD - fantastic service when it comes to ordering and shipping weird parts).

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
M54 is going to be a slightly lighter engine, since it's an al/sil block, unlike the M52B28TU, which was an iron block (except for the Z3 2.8L, which also used the al/sil block).

Engine technology didn't change enough to make a difference. The biggest possible change is the use of the newer MS43 DME. Not sure if the M52B28TU (dual-VANOS) used the MS43 - I know for a fact that the single-VANOS M52B28 used the MS41.1.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Brock Landers posted:

The M52TU did have a double VANOS issue that presents itself on cold days. The RPMS fluctuate from normal idle to almost stalling until the car warms up. The VANOS needs to be replaced ($500 part, dealership special tools to install) or the seals in the VANOS need to be replaced. Details here: http://www.beisansystems.com/

The M54 apparently has the same issue with the seals, but has DME programming to avoid the fluctuating idle.

My 99 M3 (S52B32US) has the same issue, except that I've been told that it's an oil pressure issue - until pressure builds in the head, that the hydraulic lifters may stick a wee bit and you'll get an extraordinarily rough idle for the first 15-45 seconds.

If you're going to replace the seals, might as well replace the entire VANOS unit with a DrVanos unit. Check bimmerforums.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

well wish me luck, my wife and I are flying down to SF in an hour to pick up a gorgeous 91 318iS and drive it all the way back up the Oregon coast to Seattle.

Best of luck. Those are incredibly fun cars.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
Got my UUC flywheel & M5 clutch/pp setup today for my project car. I should be actually posting up a bunch of pictures come this time next weekend. I'm waiting on a complete gasket set for the M52 to come from AutohausAZ.com, before I start buttoning everything together. Also, I'm on the fence about the head. I have an M52B28 that I'm swapping M3 cams into before I put it into the E30. Should I go ahead and have the head checked at a machine shop while it's off?

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

If you're just checking to see if it's level then just use a straight edge and see measure the gap between the straight edge and head with some feeler gauges. Compare to the BMW shop manual to see if it exceeds tolerances.

If you want to up the CR then yeah, go get it machined and pick a suitable MLS head gasket thickness to replace it.

Not wanting to change the CR, just basically freshen the head (replace valve stem seals, etc) while it's off the block prior to getting it into the car. I'm installing ARP head studs, so taking the head out post-install might be a bit tricky. I know it would be in an E36, maybe not so tricky in an E30.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
E30s are fine, but they need to be given the care and respect due an 18+ year old car. Specifically, every single bit of rubber should likely be replaced, and wear parts inspected closely.

Overall, the M20 and M42 engines were remarkably well built. Downside is that you do have to adjust valve lash yourself on the M20s, instead of relying on the hydraulic lifters in the M50 series.

That 318is linked above looks very nice. Maybe a wee bit high on the price, but depends on the area. It'll sip gas. But check for extensive rust - look under the battery tray if you can, or near rocker panels. If you don't find rust there, you've likely got a solid car.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

I think I'm gonna SeaFoam my car tomorrow. Anyone done this on an E36? I'm putting 1/3 can in the gas, 1/3 can in the oil, and 1/3 towards the intake manifold. What vacuum line should I use?

Brake booster.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
Had to replace the clutch master cylinder on my E36 M3. loving plastic eyebolt that's compression molded to the top of the MC piston snapped in half, leaving me to get home from a bar/show at 1am this past Saturday without a clutch. There was *zero* chance of me leaving it in this part of town overnight. I managed to get it into first gear without grinding (thanks, synchro rings), and got all the way home without stopping - just revmatching. Regardless, getting the bits apart to get the MC out was a complete bitch - but replacing it and buttoning everything up took me an hour at the most, including bleeding the slave cylinder. Clutches like a champ now, I took the time to grease up all the friction parts/pins well, and it's an absolute dream now. Now, I get to do LCAs & tierods this weekend, plus replace the PS cooling loop and flush the PS system. Fun times.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
Anyone want a free M20B27 longblock? Yours free, just show up at my house with a truck and I'll be glad to help toss it in the back and secure it.

Hell, if you show up soon, I'll include the 5 speed transmission/clutch/flywheel.

EDIT: Also, add 'a ton of interior parts/seats' from my E30 325. All black leatherette. Pick em up or they're going by the curb come Tuesday. Birmingham, AL. PM me or post if you're interested. You can come pick stuff up, we can drink some of my fruity high-grav Belgian beers and talk about 25 year old cars with 10 year old motors.

Yes, I realize most GOONZ don't live nearby. Just tossing this out there as a favor. Incidentally, if you're looking for a specific, small, shippable part, I'll ship it to you for the cost of shipping. I have a ton of boxes, and want to repay the AI community for what it's given me over the years.

multiprotocol fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 2, 2009

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama. PM me if you're interested.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Demerzel posted:

Why are so many people into the 80s and 90s BMW? I'm wondering if the E46 is worth learning to tweak. It seems like it would be since I hate the new E90s, they look like generic sedans with a BMW symbol on them to me. I do have the 2004 so it's the last one before the E90. Worth playing with?

E30/E36 BMWs are really, really easy to work on - at least, in my opinion and the opinion of tons of other people. Best, most iconic body styles as well.

disclaimer: i have one of each :X

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Ghosts posted:

Where can I get that ghost sticker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

rockcity posted:

Where are you finding $3000 2002 M3's?

Edit: Well I guess you didn't specifically say an M3, but it did follow the M3 post and you didn't give a model.

Except for the fact that the BMW 2002 is an actual model. :science: