Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
Made a separate thread, but I guess it fits a little better here. I've joined the family!

Picked this 2002 Cooper S up the other day for $12,900 with 41k on the clock. Have to pick up some new tires, but other than that the car seems mint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Wow, I had no idea MCSes were that cheap now. And that is absolutely the best color combination for any Mini. Nice buy!

They're not, really. His showroom price was $14,900, his list price on Autotrader was $13,900, and he had it listed on a dealer-only site OVE.com for $13,000, but he sold it to me at his cost from Manheim - $12,900. KBB and Edmunds put it closer to $15k market value, I was just in the right place at the right time!

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'm tire shopping for the new MINI right now, and am a little confused. Right now I have 225/45/17s on the stock alloys, but TireRack.com is telling me the stock tires should be 205/45/17s. Should those tires be interchangeable on the stock wheels? If so, I'll probably go with 225s again anyway for the extra stability in AutoX, but it seems like there are some better prices in 205s, so I might consider them as well, as long as they should fit.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure the stock tires are 205s.

edit: they are

195/55 R 16 87V
6½J x 16 EH2

205/45 R 17 84V
7J x 17 EH2

205/40 R 18 82W
7J x 18 EH2

Yes, I was able to find that out myself, but I'm trying to figure out why 225s would be on there now, since it's more than 3% off from the stock tires. It seems to run fine, but would 225s be safe again? This is my real question.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I figured out my issue with tires - my memory. 205s it is and has always been. I ordered some very well-reviewed Yokohama tires (Parada Spec-2) for this summer and I guess I'll be buying some winter tires this fall. Given how well they are rated for both wet and dry traction, hopefully it will help my AutoCross times for this summer!

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Phlegmbot posted:

So I drove my dad's 2008 X3 for the first time a few weeks ago, and it's changed my life. I'll be in the market for my first car later this year.

Problem: I can't afford an X3.

What's out there that will replicate the X3 driving experience (handling-wise especially) that costs a lot less? I'm looking at something < $26k CAD, and I don't care whether or not its an SUV.

If you want a new car, I'd suggest crossing the border into the U.S. and picking up a base model 3-series or a Mini Cooper S. If you're unable or unwilling to cross, and willing to consider a used car, I'd look at more of the same in Canada. You're not going to be able to get anything beyond entry level. If you want pure handling bliss, I can't describe to you how awesome the Cooper S is (the base model is great too, but a little lacking in power).

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

More issues in my tire search - I got my Yokohama Parada Spec-2 tires in, and called a shop about getting them mounted, and was told the rims on my MINI are specifically designed for the runflats, and that traditional tires could therefore not be mounted on them. Is this true? Is there any way around it without having to buy 4 new rims or trying to get Tire Rack to accept a return of the tires I've just purchased? I'm really at a loss here.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've never heard that before. People switch from runflats to non-runflats all the drat time. Call another place that isn't run by douchebags.

I just called the local MINI dealership and a guy in service confirmed it - the 17" wheels are designed for runflats and non-runflats cannot be mounted on them. :(

E: Now, shopping around to try to get ahold of 4 17" wheels that are going to work with regular tires, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of distinguishing between the two based on online advertisements. What the gently caress?

Moruitelda fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 9, 2008

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Like I said, call a place that isn't run by douchebags. You're probably getting to people who, because the car had runflats on it stock, refuse to put non-runflats on it. There's no physical difference in how they mount, except that the non-runflats are easier to mount since their sidewalls aren't as crazy-stiff.

Tire shops can be a huge pain in the rear end. I had Costco turn me away because the tires I was asking for were one tiny tick down on the weight-handling scale from what Volvo shipped out on my '88 240.

TireRack has lists of their official installers on their site - pull it up for your area and start calling. Don't even say what you're driving, just say you have four 17" tires that need to be mounted.

Found an installer that will do it for $100 for all 4 tires, not too bad considering the sidewall on it. A lot better than 4 new rims, which is what Dunn and Towne Mini had me convinced was going to be necessary. Thanks for the help, IOwnCalculus.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'm coming up on my oil change interval, and I'm wondering how to reset the countdown if I do it myself or visit a local (non-BMW) shop to have it done. Also, my owner's manual talks about the particular BMW oil, what type of consumer oil is the best choice for my purchase?

For reference, mine is a 2002 MINI Cooper S.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Moruitelda posted:

I'm coming up on my oil change interval, and I'm wondering how to reset the countdown if I do it myself or visit a local (non-BMW) shop to have it done. Also, my owner's manual talks about the particular BMW oil, what type of consumer oil is the best choice for my purchase?

For reference, mine is a 2002 MINI Cooper S.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Anyone have any suggestions for what oil to use?