Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

CornHolio posted:

Let's talk diff fluid!

My E36 is likely on its original fluid, and at 183k miles, I'd hate to see what damage it might be doing to my diff.

The dealer has BMW synthetic for $21.60 per half liter.

I've also seen Redline 75W90 synthetic recommended, which (with shipping) is $29.85 from bavauto, or $30.63 from CDOC Race Supply on Amazon.

Which is recommended and can I get it any cheaper?

Autozone: Mobil 1 75/140 (maybe 80/140? either way, the 140 is the important bit). If you have a limited slip make sure it says it's compatible, that's all there is to it, no reason to put Redline in the rear end.

Edit: Really anything is fine in the diff as long as it's new, I have never seen a diff go bad from just daily use. BMW used to recommend 75W90 but changed to 75W140 factory fill, on an E36 it's really up to you.

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

AtrociousToaster posted:

Yeah, I've found a nice 1990 5-speed 325i on craigslist I might go check out, what should I expect to pay for it? It's listed at $2800 but I definitely wouldn't go that high.

E30s, especially with 5 speeds, sell for a price dependent upon their condition. If it looks brand new they can sell for $10k+, more normal examples with a few dings and some work needed around around $2k. Just take a look at some E30 specific forums and see what they're going for, they are super market/buyer dependent.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well, I ordered from FCP Groton, thanks to some reviews I read, and their sponsorship of several sites. I got the fan blade for my E36 for $33 shipped, which seems like a fantastic price!

Getting rid of the fan all together is another solution.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

multiprotocol posted:

I'm going to be spending Memorial Day weekend overhauling just about everything on my E36 M3 - entire cooling system replacement, underdrive pulleys, driveline mounts, brakes, swaysbars, coilovers, and new wheels/tires. Would AI be interested in a photo essay of all the busted knuckles and frustration I'm about to experience? :v:

What coilovers did you go with?

Also, yes.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

multiprotocol posted:

AST4100s with spherical RSMs and Vorshlag C/C plates. I lucked out and got the new swaybar attachment method that uses locking collars and not a pinch bolt on the back of the sway clamp. It's pretty boss.

Niiiiice. Spring rates? I really like those RSMs, pricey, but probably the ultimate RSM solution; makes me wonder how well those Delrin RSMs really work since they don't give and cause a lot of deflection in the shock shaft at extremes of travel. Seems like it could eventually lead to premature shock failure due to the awkward loading of the piston moving in the shock assembly. Then again, I'm not a Mech E. so I could just be talking out of my rear end.

My next suspension update on the E36 (which, God willing, won't be for a year or more) will be full coilovers with adjustable dampers. The factory 951S setup with adjustable Koni's has ruined the basic Bilstein/H&R setup on my E36.

Also, I am really glad you didn't say DDM or whatever those new $600 coilovers that every teenager at bf.c is making GBS threads themselves over.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

toaster_pastry posted:

I've always hated BMWs. I never liked the way they looked, the interiors, or the way they drove.

Then there was the M Coupe. I wanted one since they first came out. It was perfect. It was me.

Happy to report that my dream has finally been fulfilled.

*edit*

Any suggestions on where I might be able to come up with an owners manual for the car? BMW's website lets you download owners manuals, but they only go back to 2004. The car is a '99.

Awesome! And the perfect color too! Now, buy the TCKline suspension package, Z3 Strong-Strut package, upgrade the diff and mount, buy the Sunbelt cams and the entire Supersprint exhaust (headers, test pipe, cat back) and you'll have my dream car, that you can sell to me at a huge savings in a few years :)

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

wolrah posted:

stuff

It mostly depends on where you live and how often the wheels come off. Clean off the rust that is stuck to the inside surface of the wheel, as that will just allow it to rust together again in no time. If the problem is really bad put some copper antiseize on the face of the hub, making sure to wipe up any excess since slippery stuff on rotors is a bad thing. You could also sand, mask off, and spray the hubs with some high temp paint.

A good thing to try with stubborn rusted on wheels is to break the lug nuts loose and thread them out like 1/4 of an inch, then let the car roll/put it in gear and idle a few feet.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I had to make my own vapor barriers since mine ripped:

1) Thick, clear plastic sheeting (I'm sure I got it at Lowes probably years ago)
2) Weather stripping

Put the weather stripping around the door where the old stuff was, apply your plastic, trim the excess and cut the hole for the door handle, speaker and whatever else has to pass through.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Baram posted:

Huh. I'm confused as to what it actually is now, then. 2 door, came with a spoiler but not installed. I got a VIN breakdown awhile ago which said it was a 325i with one of the order options listed as "209 LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (25%)" Does that mean I likely have an iS with a replaced trunk or something? Badging on the trunk is currently 325i.

Those spoilers are held on with adhesive, it's entirely possible that in 20 years the glue just didn't want to hold anymore. Or it got hit in its rear at one time and the garage didn't order the right parts. These cars are old and have probably seen 5+ owners in their life, they have "patina" and "history."

Buy the little iS and make it right if you want. For only $26

I'd buy it and put it on there, but this is coming from the person who is getting ready to buy a tacky '80s decal from Porsche that costs $100... for a sticker. It's a boss sticker, to be fair.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

OrangeFurious posted:

I'm looking at a SMG hydraulic pump replacement on an e85. Dealership is asking $4,000. I know they're expensive transmissions to fix, but this seems crazy.

God. drat. At that price I'd eBay a used SMG, sell the car, and buy something else.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

evobatman posted:

Oh for fucks sake!

Torpedoed by a Nissan Almera, which barely got a scratch.

We're not supposed to have nice things, are we?

Hey, at least your fog deletes weren't harmed :)

And it looks like a good time to go with an DDM M3 repro bumper, and updated 97+ front fascia if that's your thing.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Sooo, for $600ish on eBay you can make this exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNHBusG5A0

...fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that is tempting.

multiprotocol posted:

gently caress. Me. Running.

I hope you're getting an alignment somewhere in there. Don't bother with the alt pulley, it's cosmetic only if I remember correctly. How much did the mishimoto run/where did you get it? I noticed some worrying weeping on my plastic endtanks of my 2005 dated radiator.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

McMadCow posted:

The one on the intake, you mean?

Exhaust. I replaced mine right after I got my '92. After it got really hot it would be gutless below 3500 like you said. Look up the Econoline van DIY on bf.c if you want to save a few bucks and can solder a few wires.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

What's the normal fuel economy you E36 I6 guys are getting? I filled my 325iS for the first time today since the day I bought it, and I was pretty pleased to see 27mpg.

...17mpg

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Non-Vanos = a few less mpg than the cars that had Vanos.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I started to do this once and realized the 3M kit I bought was missing a disk, meaning I had taped off my headlights for nothing that day. I haven't gotten around to it again, I'm half considering just dropping the $125 on a set of Depo/DJAutos with regular halogens in them and selling off the stupid HID kit.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Replaced my valve cover gasket, spark plugs, retimed my camshafts to be closer to factory spec, closed it up, started the car, and no backfire! Amazing. Even tried it this morning and it started right up with no problems. Thank God I got it fixed because last night I drove my 944 Turbo through a puddle and got something electrical wet and now it won't start, the fun continues woooooo :downsgun:

Taymar posted:

I need to change the fluid on a newer BMW diff, which only has a fill plug.

My plan was to hook some 1/4" tubing to a fluid extractor and try to poke that down into the diff through the filler hole to extract as much of the fluid as possible.

I'd started to wonder about attaching something magnetic to the end, but the last thing I want to end up with is a magnet stuck inside the diff.

Short of removing the entire diff to drain it, are there any other tricks which might make this more successful?

Are you loving serious? I wouldn't be able to live with that. If you can take the diff cover off (should be 8-10 bolts around the perimeter of the back of the diff), drill then tap the cover for a drain hole.

If you can unbolt the drive shaft and the few bolts holding the diff in place and some strategic jacking you could just tilt the diff upward under the car (leave parking brake on and rotate the front of the diff upward after letting the diff drop a few inches to give you some space) and dump all the fluid out of the fill hole. Just an idea, no clue if the newer BMWs have the room to do that, should be pretty obvious if it's possible once you get under there. I'd personally just put a drain hole in it and be done with it.

If nothing else it's only then another 12 bolts to take the half shafts off, disconnect the speed impulse sender, and the diff comes out of the car!

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

revmoo posted:

I never even considered using a universal fob, I was going to buy a setup from Bavauto for $150, which I thought was cheap.

I have the factory BMW module in my car. They plug right in, and I think the BMW fobs look better than the universal ones /bmw whore

I think I've seen them for $60-80 for the computer and fob on ebay, but I havent looked in years.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Hello Bimmer goons, I was cleaning my closet recently and came across some E36 parts that I still have kicking around. I have them listed over on bf.com, but if any goon needs them I can cut you a better deal than I have listed in that thread.

-Non-Vanos ICV + Hoses (new)
-1x 18lb green top (rebuilt, <10miles of use)
-K&N Filter (used, good condition)

If anyone is interested I could make an SA-Mart thread or you could contact me on bf.c, just mention SA.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

KakerMix posted:

An awesome e34 touring.

That is beautiful.

revmoo posted:

That's a actual brand-new non-vanos m50 icv? Dibs.

Yes, brand new as are the hoses. I've been meaning to make an SA-Mart thread to list some electronics/DVDs/games we can piggyback off once it's made (probably tonight).

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I haven't posted in AI in some time, but this happened about a half mile from my house today. Also fits in with the E39 540 chat.

The upper and lower control arms were still attached to the wheel. I think the only thing holding it to the car was the e-brake cable.