Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

Picked this up last September. I've posted it a few times before, but it's a stock 330Ci ZHP.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience messing around with the camber on these. I was reading through the manual and it turns out that with a special tool you can adjust the camber in 5 degrees either way "fairly easily".

Has anyone actually got this special tool and used it? I thought it might be pretty useful for autocrosses if I could quickly change the camber before and after a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

It probably is referring to rear camber adjustment--I don't know of a single stock 3 series model that can adjust front camber.

You can buy sweet camber plates from https://www.vorshlag.com

This is from the manual. It goes on to say to use "Special Tool 32 3 140 to make the adjustment." And to "Follow the instructions for making the Camber adjustment described in Repair Manual 32 00 10."

This is for front camber adjustment. It doesn't say anything in the manual about rear camber adjustment that I can see.

miklm posted:

I've never seen a ZHP coupe before. Every one I've ever seen has been a sedan. You apparently bought that while I was on my six-month AI sabbatical, so a belated congratulations. Would you object to me asking "how much?"

The rear is adjustable by turning an eccentric bolt (I assume they didn't change this from the E36?) but you don't have a lot of adjustment there either (then again, you don't really need it).

I paid $38,000 CDN last september. It's a 2004 and had 40,000KMs on it. I saw the same car for quite a bit less in the states, but being able to just pick it up and drive away was a big plus, and it also has the certified pre-owned warranty. Compared to similar vehicles for sale in Canada at the time, I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I test drove another one and they were asking $45,000.

Where is this eccentric bolt located? I can't find anything in the manual. I should buy the repair manual as well, it seems to have a lot more information about this kind of thing.

Luk3 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 28, 2008

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

miklm posted:

What's that "special tool"? A 13mm socket and a hammer? That's all I see you need to "adjust" it, but you can't get any serious camber that way regardless.

I don't know, I'm not sure where I would look up that number.

Also, forget everything I said, I'm a moron. I misread it to say that you could adjust it by 5 degrees either direction, not 0.5. After getting all excited about this I may go through with the camber plates though. That seems like a pretty straight forward alternative.

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

Guinness posted:

Although, at least theoretically, the ZHP coupe should be cheaper to operate in the long run. Purchase price isn't necessarily the only cost to base a decision off of.

Also, in Canada anyway, an M3 of the same year would be anywhere from $10000 to $20000 more. Depending on condition, etc. It boggles my mind how cheap the M3 is in the states.

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

I'm really sorry if this has been asked before, but something that has been nagging me about my 330Ci is that when shifting, especially from 1st to 2nd, it might take a couple tries to get the shifter to go into gear. I'm not really sure how to explain it any better than that unfortunately. As I go from 1st to 2nd it just sort of stops half way. Like it leaves first, goes past neutral and then just gets stuck going to second. I've made sure that the clutch is all the way in, etc etc.

It's a 2004 330Ci w/ ZHP. 6-Speed Manual.