Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

It's an SMG gearbox.

I'm pretty sure it's an auto with tiptronic mode, but still just a torque converter-based slushbox. Only the M5 and M6 get SMGs in the US market, if I recall correctly, although the double-clutch gearbox coming out in the M3 next year is allegedly going to make its way into the 5- and 3-series at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Arwox posted:

Does anyone have any idea what this stuff might be?

There's definitely plastic on the dead pedal just like on the floormats. As far as the yellow/brown color, it looks like there's an amber light shining down underneath the dashboard in both the driver and passenger footwells (the passenger side especially appears to have a light down there). Is that actually the case on an E36 M3?

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Brock Landers posted:

- A very few of the E46 3-series cars have an issue where the rear subframe tears away from the car. You can recognize the problem by odd, random clunking sounds coming from the back when you go over bumps. It's expensive to fix but it's rare and people in online forums like to exaggerate how widespread it is.

The vast majority of the subframe failures were on the 1999-2000 323 and 328, if I recall correctly. It's been known to happen on the 325/330 (2001+) as well, but it's much, much less common.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
I may have been wrong on the subframe thing. I just remember that when I was researching E46s for a friend, one of the forums had a pretty big poll of owners who'd had subframe failures (as in a few hundred on that one forum), and 323/328s outnumbered 325/330s by something like 10 to 1. I wasn't really considering the self-selecting nature of the poll, the relative age of the cars in question, or the fact that newer models that failed under warranty/CPO weren't included due to BMW's love of NDAs.