Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Beach Bum posted:

At this time, I believe so. However, I've got one of the best traffic lawyers in the South in town, and if I can't get this thrown out for being terribly inaccurate, it'll go to him.

I think cops just like to make things up at traffic accidents. When my first car got totaled, the cop was a giant dick asking me if I had been drinking (it was three in the afternoon and I was wearing my work uniform). Then just made things up on the report and didn't even give the girl that ran the stop sign a ticket because "her neck hurt" and left in an ambulance.

Anyways, I bought a 2007 328i on Monday. But I'm sure you people don't care what with your E30s and your 2002s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I looked on craigslist for shits and giggles a couple days ago and found a bunch. You just have to keep looking, they will show up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where are you looking, I am stuck in Midwest Iowa. Just lots of over priced Camaro's and rusted out fox bodies. Though the E36 with a 5.0 is incredibly AI.

I live near Houston. There weren't too many, but some.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doesn't the M sport package just add a bunch of M logos or have things changed since that Top Gear episode?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have two cup holders that pop out above the glovebox. I thought they would be crap, but they can hold a giant Whataburger cup just fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The cruise control is easy to use once you get used to it. There have been several times when I've meant to slow down and end up flashing my brights. You just have to get used to it. I agree on the wipers though, it's annoying having to move my head around to see if the auto wipers are on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

squash86 posted:

I have the same thing in my E60, but I can't stand them. They feel flimsy, and let the drink flop around way too much.

The ones in my E90 feel solid enough. And nothing can really flop around.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You could always just stick the license plate on the dash.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wouldn't the 335 be cheaper than the M3 in the long run? What with all the maintenance and more expensive parts in the M3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Kelly Blue Book says that a 2000 Z3 in fair condition is worth about 4600, that sounds like it is in worse than fair condition. I definitely would not be 5K for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

I have seen it in person and I still say it's hideous :colbert:

Now, this here is a thing of beauty. What's not to love? :swoon:

Well, it looks like it has to take a poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You play around with bolts?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What's with BMWs gravitating towards me? I left work this afternoon and there was an E36 M3 and an E46 330 next to my E92. Then I go home and half the time there's a 325 parked next to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Run flat tires are cool, because it turns the tire pressure sensor into a guessing game. A tire is low? Which one? Better check all of them since none of them are deformed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Or you could just get an android phone with google maps that has free map updates and the best driving directions I've ever seen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I wish it were black or grey. It's tan or beige or whatever.

Why does tan leather even exist? Every car I want, I want black leather in it. Yet every time I buy a car it has that stupid tan leather in it. If I ever get rich, I'm flooding the used market with black leather seats.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tesko.pk posted:

My E46 got smashed up by a Honda pilot last night...

No injuries, other driver at fault, waiting to hear from the insurance adjuster next week :(

Damage all the way down the passenger side, from front bumper to rear 1/4 panel, and my poor Ultraleggera wheels are scrapped for sure.

drat, dude. And to Think I get pissed off when I see a new scratch in the paint from some rear end in a top hat opening his/her door like an rear end in a top hat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm assuming you need another cell plan for that to work?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With verizon at least, you have to pay for their tethering service.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Got a question about my E90 328. I was getting on the freeway today and was accelerating and then because San Antonio is full of bad drivers, everyone in front of me stopped so I slammed on my brakes. Then my engine died, it said "Service Engine Soon" and the windshield fluid icon popped up. I couldn't get it to start again, so some nice people helped me push it off the road onto the shoulder. I think it probably didn't start because it didn't put it into park first. As soon as I put it in park, it started up just fine. I drove it all the way home with no issues, and the check control thing said "Check OK." So, what I'm wondering is, what exactly happened? I'm guessing because I braked so hard that the wiper fluid moved somewhere that caused a sensor to go off saying it was low. Could some other fluid have moved around in such a way that my engine freaked out and just shut off?

Also, I found out when the engine shuts off, the brakes go into some sort of super brake mode that instantly stops the car when it's rolling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Sorry for the rant, I'll ask a question to keep things from being too annoying: how accurate is the fuel economy gauge on a 1994 318is? It's a neat feature, but I don't know how far to trust Seller #2's claims of 7L/100km (about 33 mpg) - if he was basing it on just the little needle, or actual fill-ups / distance driven calculations. Pretty much every ad for a 318 I've seen says "excellent fuel economy!" which is probably a euphemism for "doesn't accelerate the way you expect a BMW to"

It's not the same at all, but in my e90 328 it's pretty accurate. But you have to keep in mind that it's accurate for what your car is doing at that moment. You can look down while at speed and see "Oh 30mpg, yay" but that's what it's getting while you're at highway speed. If all you do is drive on a highway, great. It's not taking into account when you hit traffic and you slow down and then accelerate and you're getting 12mpg. On a three hour drive of hitting traffic and stopping for food, my 30mpg ends up being about 26. And in the city I'm getting 19. I trust the actual average mpg the computer gives me, but I'd trust reseting the trip odometer at gas fill up and calculating that with how much gas I put in at the next fill up.

So maybe while he's on a flat stretch of road going 55-65, his car is telling him he's getting 33mpg, but that's not accurate overall. But I don't know how the fuel economy gauge works in that car. In mine it's being calculated, in some old cars it's a "how much is my gas pedal depressed" gauge that doesn't mean anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

So, what am I as a moderate-enthusiast-newbie suppose to tell all my friend when claim I'm an idiot for wanting a manual-RWD car in a place it snows?

I already brought up that plenty of Mercs, Lexuses have RWD as standard but I've driven RWD on snow and I never felt it was oh-so-horrible.

I'm guessing your friend drives some asian FWD or AWD car?

I wish I could afford an E30 right now, but I've got to finish paying off more of my E90.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 25, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There was a 2002 on craigslist that seems pretty nice, but the guy had done so much stuff to it. I'd rather have something a bit beat up that something where the guy replaced parts with something entirely different.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GOATSE SOUP posted:

welp. Somehow managed to thread my gas cap wrong or something. Ended up doing this. Any suggestions? Other than take some pliers to it when its light out and I can see what I'm doing?

I don't know how it all fits together, but could some carefully placed super glue work?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The motor in my rear window took a big poo poo. I heard a whooshing sound, I figured the a window might be open. I flipped my switches and heard big pop from the right rear window. Then it slowly started falling down. I was hoping maybe It just came off the track and and tried to move it down. It barely inches down, won't go up. I tried pulling it up and it goes up a bit, but it's still attached to the motor because it won't move up too much. So I tried holding the switch up and pulling up the window which sort of worked until the thing thought it was getting stuck and tried to pull the window back into the door. Finally got it up and duck taped it shut. Guess I have to get that fixed soon.

As if I'm not already strapped for cash.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have an 07 E90. Is there an easy way to get to the window regulator? In my old Lincoln, a friend broke my motor/regulator (all one part, thanks Ford) by trying to roll up the window when someone was leaning on it. I got the door panel off only to realize that the motor was behind some insulation and sheet metal. If it's easy to get to, I'd love to do it myself. I have a feeling that since this is a late model, it's not going to be easy to get to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thanks, I'll look into this. Since the motor appears to work (it can pull the window down when it thinks the window is blocked, just won't work with the switch, can I just assume it's the regulator?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Turns out window regulators are under my CPO warranty, and the deductible is only 50 bucks. Which works out even better since the left one went out this morning. Now I just wait for them to give my car back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm always noticing things in my car that are useful that I would never think to need, like the right mirror tilting down in reverse. Or the temperature dial for the back adjusting the temperature inside the center console.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You have to wait for your car to warm up first. Start up your car, and drive around for a while. When you park, check the oil thing again and it should say what the level is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe it's a sway bar? Keeps the car level while turning.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't really have the money, time or space right now. But I eventually want to get a late 80s early 90s e30. If I want a manual should I look for a manual, or if I can find a good condition one, is it worth it to swap from auto to manual?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just found out today that I wasn't really turning off traction control, I was just turning of stability control. You gotta hold the button in for two seconds to turn of traction control.

SIIIIIIIIIDEWAAAAAAAAAYS

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What exactly is the solution on the Mustang?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It kept freaking me out every time I started driving and hearing "boooong" and seeing a snowflake. It does it whenever it gets below 40, that's not freezing BMW.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apply cash directly to the affected area.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

So a 1M drifting through fake walls, and a 1M drifting atop a fake building.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

revmoo posted:

Never heard of that before.

If you pay cash, some dealers lower the price because they get the money instantly as opposed to over time if you finance it through them. But nowadays with banks run by manufacturers, dealerships get the money instantly no matter what, so it doesn't matter how you pay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So does anyone understand the automatic wipers on an E90? Instead of raining for real, there has been some really light rain lately. I hate light rain because it's always impossible to get wipers to go at the exact speed I want. But either I can't figure out how to work them right, or there is a huge gap between speeds in the wipers on my car.

I have the option of automatic intermittent wipers or manual continuous wipers. I turn on the continuous wipers and they go about once a second on the first setting, I turn on automatic and they go once every 5-20 seconds. Apparently the little dial in the lever sets the sensitivity of the automatic wipers, but it doesn't seem to do anything besides make the wipers move if I click it up then goes back to its original interval.

Once a second is way too fast, and once every five seconds is way too slow. Is there seriously no way to get it to do anything between these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You think I could put two E30 interiors in my E90?