Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

Don't swear in front of your mother!

cucumbrrr posted:

And here are the images...

Awesome, I love the boards with the bark still attached. I made a spalted maple bench for my sister, all with drillholes & dowels, no metal. If it ever breaks while people sit on it, then it was supposed to be a table. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

cucumbrrr posted:

Nice! This looks great. Can you talk a little about what kind of finish you used on the top/sitting area? I like the high gloss finish, I'm curious if it involved much wet sanding, etc.

Thanks! I just sprayed on basic Gloss Varathane. I did one coat, then wet-sanded by hand in circles, cleaned it with a dry cloth, then at least 12 more coats on until it was shiny enough, then polished it with a dry cloth.

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

Quick & dirty Christmas project:

I had a slice of burled maple and a friend who desperately needs a new cutting board, so I turned the former into the latter using my hackerspace's bandsaw and belt sander. Then I varnished the bark and rubbed in some mineral oil.

Bottom:

Top: