Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thinking of spending a bunch of money on tools. Table saw, miter saw, maybe a planer. Before I do, how do I learn to operate safely? Can I just read and watch videos, should I look for a class or something? I don't have any mentors in this realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

IMO it's better to get one new big tool at a time, and focus on learning and using it exclusively for a bit. Adding several big new tools at once can be a bit overwhelming. Also do you have a specific project in mind? I like to just get what I need for the next project, so I have a thing to try to do on the new tool, and my experience with some tools helps to inform me of what I might actually prefer in the next one.

Hadn't seen yer edit, good point. Probably worth going one at a time. I keep almost buying one, and then na I don't need more crap. The current idea is garden/planter/work benches. I've got a pretty legit scrap pile that's just going to rot and cause problems. I don't need a fancy saw to get rid of it, but maybe it's more ~rewarding~ that way

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Organizing the scrap. Around 200 square feet of 2x6 cedar, some in pretty good shape. I was thinking a planer to clean them up and remove the poo poo paint someone slathered on. Maybe turn some scrap into wood worth more than the tool. Is this a reasonable thing to do? I think the safety concern here is just make sure no screws remain, anything else?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys

Mr. Mambold posted:

My personal tool-buying recommend would be just a nice bandsaw for starters. It's safer and more user-friendly than those you've mentioned, and you can make things from wood.

Huh. I see a lot less out there about band saws. Is there a reason the hardware store wants to sell me the other ones instead? Also, is it for smaller scale? For reference, these are the types of work I see myself getting into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDDRwZ1MoLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Dml53_h_c

I'm definitely holding off on the table saw for now, y'all confirm that might be a risky one to dive in unassisted.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Heh, that's part of why I posted those, I figured there were learning moments.

Thanks, that clarifies a lot of the saw situation. Ya, I do have some 8 foot cuts to make on 8x4 sheets, but like you said, do it with the hand held. I might enjoy the ability to shelve things vs take up a whole corner, but a step towards turning the garage into a shop could be a benefit

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

Tbf, I had the same reaction in a conversation where someone said they don’t keep baking soda in their kitchen because they never use it. To which I replied, then how do you eat? They just meant they didn’t use baking soda. You can see where this goes.

I love posts like this. They make me feel like rain man trying to comprehend who's on first

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

blunt for century posted:

I work full time in a professional wood shop, but it's run by two folks who don't really "get" woodworking, tool maintenance, or shop safety. Currently my two biggest hurdles here are dust and air compressors. They'll just let these things run all day and night without use, just slowly leaking and refilling to 150psi. Apparently I'm also the only one here who drains the condensation from them (got a liter and a half from the 15gal DeWalt my first time draining it). I've left notes around the shop, notes on the door, brought it up in shop meetings and individually, but nothing seems to work.

Can y'all post or DM me horror stories about air compressor explosions so I can get this through their thick skulls?

This just sounds like ordinary laziness. If they don't care about shortened life, and you do the draining, seems fine? If they try to run them past when they're wearing out, that sounds dangerous

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We had a 2000 psi hydrogen tank rusted to the point of leaking. Mildly alarmed, we asked the vendor to address the issue. They came and looked, said eh it's just a small leak, we'll come back in a few days.

This tank is about 20 feet from my posting station too, I'm looking at it (well, the non leaky current one) now

Epitope fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 18, 2023

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad covid trained me on hazardous particulates. Reclaimed cedar deck

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did all the tops with the planer. Getting lazy with the sides. The set up and tear down of the planer is a significant hurtle, and I'm almost out of blades. Tried a putty knife, rasp, don't have a router or belt sander. Orbital sander not the ticket except for final clean up. Found a decent method. Really getting a lot of mileage out of this diamond finger. This is the third project it's played a good sized roll.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the point where I started having fun with home ownership is the point I started regularly using corded saws on the house

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wood and saws and math and drugs are cool. Only mix three at a time tho

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A C shaped clip that pops over the whole rail?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a blend of beeswax and coconut oil that I made for my face, and I rubbed it on some wood today. Might try some iron on ski wax too, we've got some of the good stuff (PFAS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My previous owner made one like that, with a solid core door as the top. It's sturdy, supports a vice