Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Cubitron net discs are better performance overall for woodworking. The edges fray very easily for what it's worth and you should use an interface pad (I use a mirka) so that you don't blow the velcro on the sander's pad.

This kind of pad: https://a.co/d/gfUs7ra

E: that's a 5 pack so it's not a huge expense

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

For the secondary bevel I dont go to burr, I do 10 strokes per stone (skipping my most aggressive one if it's a fresh sharpening).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I generally don't put a secondary bevel on anything. Doesn't seem to make a difference as far as I can tell, besides muddying the waters whenever I go to resharpen anything.

When I did manual grinding I did secondary bevels because it made successive sharpenings easier/faster. When I got my Tormak I do secondary bevels because it makes it so that I can just touch it up with less stones much quicker (I can usually just go directly to my extra fine stone). And also allows me to manually grind quicker if I feel like it.

I do feel it's a lot less important with the softer steels, but gently caress doing the whole PM-V11 or O2 edge every time you need to touch it up.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The question is what do you want the compressor for? That one you linked doesn't seem to have enough CFM for spray painting (you want closer to 10 @40, minimum 8ish). There is nothing this one can do your pancake can't. Unless you expect to have multiple people working air nailers constantly. And even then I'd sooner invest into battery nailers.

For spray finishes a lot of people just go for the biggest Fuji they can afford. In the end it will be cheaper.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

LightRailTycoon posted:

That is max output from a 15amp/120v outlet.

Not really, should be able to hit 2HP.

All of this is accurate, but depending on the pancake you already have you're better off just getting a tank.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Universal motors are rated at stall basically.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Once you figure it out, sharpie the number to the upper wheel.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I have always liked buffed oil poly mix for knife handles. But would potentially go oil only for maple so it doesn't amber. Basically give it an oil finish, wait 2 weeks (or more, depends on the oil) and then buff it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

And a box intended to keep grandma as a heirloom gets a different finish from those two.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh, so you're saying a can of white spray paint isn't also a wrong answer?

It's your wood buddy.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Last box I did I just drizzled with Howard's feed and wax, it's cheap and, to me, gives really good results. It's fairly delicate though, but since it's oil/wax based you can just reapply.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Anyone got any recommendations on an oil heater or something that won't burn my shop down (again) when it inevitably gets covered with sawdust? Most of what I'm turning up looks like Amazon fake-brand poo poo I wouldn't trust even unplugged

Has been posted before but: a heat pump mini split.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Quote is not edit.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Never thought I'd ever go to a wood conference, but here I am, watching William Cumpiano talk and show about making string instruments.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I also got to meet Beth Ireland after that post and will be seeing her do some turning tomorrow.... Squeeeeee

Also, yes. Exactly like that except no tools only a small amount of awesome turnings and stuff from my teacher. Tools tomorrow tho.

deimos fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 29, 2023

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

5 minutes of Beth turning (plus a few minutes of explaining)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I just realized this mini conference was partially set up by Scott Landis.

This guy:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Skunkduster posted:

If you happen to run into him, please let him know that Skunkduster from the internet says that "The Workbench Book" is probably my all time favorite book. Very informative, interesting, well researched, and well written.

I talked to him but the 3 day conference is over as of yesterday, but believe me praises were sung about the book.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Speaking of Lignum Vitae:

Got almost two pounds of it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nifty! What are you planning?

I have no idea, it was gifted to me.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pretty sure drop saw is an aussie/kiwi term for a miter, yeah.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Anyone know the name of the joint that is a blind tenon that is split and has a wedge inside? I remember seeing it done and want to use it for something.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Found the name, fox tenon. This is the article I was looking for https://paulsellers.com/2021/12/calculating-for-fox-wedging/

deimos fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 8, 2023

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

wtf is with these bonus names

Reading a bit more, it's named after the foxtail, a weed that has barbs that makes it so that once it goes in (usually into animal nostrils), it doesn't come out

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Make sure the humidity where you're drying is less than 50%, ideally 40ish.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Sockser posted:

I have a set of 3M over-ear muffs for the shop that are great at blocking sound, and relatively comfortable

Hooooowever
I have pretty large ears, and more importantly, a helix piercing in one ear, and that piercing gets irritated as hell if I’m wearing them for a long period of time, which is usually only if I’m running a 30+ minute CNC job

So I’m looking for recommendations for some new hearing protection, ideally with Bluetooth, that’ll be comfier for longer periods

I’ve got isoTunes buds as well, and they’re great if I’m just like, loving around sanding or intermittently running my saws, but the CNC+shopvac combo is just too powerful for some buds to be floating around

Find out the NRR of the 3M, then find buds that meet it. Festool sells white labeled 25 NRR isotunes Aware that can be surprisingly cheaper than the isotunes sometimes. Not the best build quality so if you think you'd abuse them maybe look elsewhere.

Something to keep in mind is that for some of the earbuds, the foam tips are the ones that are rated for NRR, not the silicone ones.

Forgot to add: Klein sells a relatively cheap earbud that doesn't have the greatest reviews in terms of audio quality and ergonomics but has 28NRR.

deimos fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 21, 2023

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

That is the Rockwell delta casting clone. Parts will be infinite if anything breaks. The trunions are prone to breaking on the cheaper clones but can be easily found for replacement.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Could probably also use screw in tee nuts.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Those were just waxed as far as I can tell. Found this blog that points out W.F. means it's their Walnut Finish. It mentions using minwax dark wax.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

MJP posted:

I'm morbidly curious. I built a Voron 2.4 and hated the experience of tweaking, futzing, inferring, etc. in the build and calibration/tweaking/tuning. How onerous is the tweaking/futzing/inferring in building a CNC machine?

With as many guides and how good the manual is for a voron (albeit 2.4 is one of the more complex ones to build)... If you had so many issues you're gonna be having issues with an MPCNC.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Shaper with power feeder.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

What, you don't have one of these to use as your assembly table?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Aramoro posted:

I was looking at getting a random orbital sander for small to midsized projects. Does anyone have recommendations, UK/EU part of the world?

Dewalt/Bosch/Makita (these are all similar in performance/price, the common Makita is marginally better at vibration but also bigger). An upgrade would be Mirka/Festool which have ergonomic differences while having the best performance.

Performance sanding will be about the same if they have the same stroke, but vibration reduction and dust collection are what makes one sander better than another.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

A flap/brush sander would probably work. (you'll have to figure out some work holding)

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 21, 2024

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

keep it down up there! posted:

These do seem more ideal for what I need. Especially that kit. I bet I could make the opening much smaller and quickly pass items over it with a push block.

Thanks!

This is a very expensive one and way overkill, but this is a good introduction video to the style I have used: https://youtu.be/bNaH8h83bxs

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Funny thing is that in some parts of Europe, plumbing (pipes at least) is referred to in nominal imperial sizes (but are metric standards).

Also 32mm is awesome for cabinets.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

take a photo

and to be less aggro, I feel like there's some additional element to your successful design maybe? How thick is the wood you used, how far out from the wall does it stick?

Dynamic load is also 0 for a wall shelf. Also 50lbs is approximately 150 cat food tins, so not sure we're talking the same scale.

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 13, 2024

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Rabeting the board into the backer (not much needed here, 1/16th to 1/8th) will also help heaps with the force transfer.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Ryobi table saw is famously bad and mostly unsafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

quote:

the blade won't stay parallel to the miter slot. if you've adjusted it and tightened everything and it still slips out of true,

That is the main complaint I've seen for this saw.