Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Brushes if the motor has em may be worth checking. Preferably before you fuse the holder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

do you post these just to put the rest of the thread in our place

:negative:

Not only that, he does it as an after thought on a post about something else.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

If you want to know the variety of euro hinges look up the Blum concealed hinge brochure. It's 100 pages. drat near all of them are hinges and opening/closing systems, the rest are jigs and tools. Sugatsune also has a shitload of hinge variety.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

O hey, a good video reviewing a WoodRiver that points out it's nits vs something more expensive, touches on the beginner dichotomy of needing to get a cheaper one to not spend that much money vs. having the knowledge and knowing what to expect when planing. Also touched on the blade being an unknown quantity, so may need to be replaced sooner than later.

https://youtu.be/4Tn4LVeZouA

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

The only place that sells Wood River planes in Canada is Rob Cosman's store. They actually cost more than Veritas.

I think the video works as a generic "cheap plane" review. That is to say, fine to buy if you have the knowledge and time to fix it available (yourself or someone with experience). The only expensive planes I would never use are the harvey tools one (bridge city), they are just... Anti-ergonomic.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I am fairly sure that's an ice saw like others have mentioned. Probably used to cut blocks for a fridge before electricity.

Any wood handles ones probably would not have survived to be vintage (the wood).

I am a bit curious about the rivets. May be the saw is new enough that those are new fangled rustless steel which may put it at 1930s or so.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

At least I got the stainless steel rivets correct.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Are carbide blades good for hand tools in wood though? From a metal working perspective, the benefit of carbide is that it has a much better heat tolerance and keeps it's hardness at very high temps so it doesn't overheat and wear as easily, but can't take as sharp of an edge as a highspeed steel tool. For cutting plastics and stuff like that, steel is often preferred for its sharpness when heat isn't an issue. I'd assume (knowing very little about woodworking) that for hand tools like planes and stuff you'd want a sharp steel edge vs the more durable but duller carbide option.

I think that's perfectly fine for a jack plane or any of the more aggressive planes. You'd bulk with carbide and do a final pass with a smoothing plane.

I think these are good for production work probably.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Taylor toolworks has PEC squares in metric. Mostly blemish units so not prohibitively expensive. Ditto metric rulers (but you can always get Shinwa stainless for those).

Also have a few of these for tapes https://a.co/d/7IGJrDu

Not the best because of the double measures, but useful.

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 11, 2024

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

tracecomplete posted:

. I wear glasses so I'm a bit more slack on the goggles.

I spent $40ish on Zenni Rx safety glasses and I'll never go back. I just swap to them when I start doing any work and keep them in their case on a small shelf. I may get another one with all the lens bells and whistles (more scratch protection, anti glare, anti fogging) since I have found myself using it, I bought my first pair cheap just for that purpose: to see if the Rx worked well in that format and to see if I'd use it. So now I can spend a hundo for the fancier lens ones so I can tackle the most minor annoyances with the current ones.

Unfortunately the spendy lenses are the ones that are most useful in some of the scenarios where they're vulnerable to permanent damage (booth painting, heavy demo).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Trend one with filtered fans seems like it may be helpful as well. (I have a PAPR from welding so I am covered for sanding)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

alnilam posted:

I wanna get some sharpening stones, I know this is a :can: topic but drat the choices are overwhelming... Basically down to either:

Combination 100/320 oilstone and a hard arkansas stone for final honing
or
Diamond plates

but there are a zillion diamond plate sets online ranging from like... $20/set to $200/set?? Any advice?

I would get a coarse diamond plate as a baseline. Dia makes one that is coarse and extra coarse on either side and is fairly flat. I use it to do rough work on any edge that needs it and, more importantly, to flatten my other stones to something close to a reference flatness.

After that I'd get a cheap (as a beginner I gouged my water stones a few times) two grit water stone until you're comfortable using them and you can invest on other stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I may have leaks but I also reinforced the lid with a circle of 5/8 ply top and bottom. (it's the size of ply I had) I used two buckets and cut the bottom off one (the one that gets the lid) and I added a round of foam insulation to seal fairly well. That way clean up is just separating the buckets without having to remove the lid.

The bucket compresses when the hose gets stopped but doesn't burst.