Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat
I am thinking of getting into woodworking and would like some advice, especially about what table saw to buy. I want to make furniture and the occasional home reno project. As much as I really want something inexpensive, quality is more important. I would rather wait and buy an expensive, good saw.

I've been looking at this DeWalt and I like the price and the saw feels sturdy, but it has a smaller table and a 16 inch rip capacity. Are these things likely to be a serious disadvantage or a minor annoyance?

I don't know much about planes. Could I save money on a jointer by getting a hand plane? If so, what kind, and what brands should consider/avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat
Thanks, that gave me something to think about. I'm not sure if I'll go with the hand plane as I will be busy enough learning how to woodwork without learning to setup a plane as well.

For table saws, are you saying something like this should be good enough to start off with? I take it Delta is good enough for a hobbyist?

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat
What's the difference between belt drive saws and direct drive saws? Why is it important?

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat
Some time way earlier in the thread, there was a discussion about preparing a surface for gluing. If I remember correctly, it was said that you should not sand surfaces that are going to be glued together. Is this true? If so, what is the best way to prepare surface for gluing?

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat
I found a good video demonstrating kickback. The guy deliberately caused it to inform others and ended up showing that it's easier than you think to cut off a finger during kickback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat
How often would anyone use a 1/2 inch drill bit? I have one in a bit set and I wonder if it would ever get used at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat
Does boiled linseed oil have a shelf life?

Bigos fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 7, 2014