Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnackinStarfish
Feb 27, 2007

I've decided I want to make my girlfriend a simple wardrobe for a Christmas present, and I need a few pointers before undertaking such a project.

First off, the specs: It should be 6'H X 3'W X 2'D, with a hanger bar (duh), and a shelf (maybe two) near the bottom for shoes. The width is the most important measurement here - it would go in a (slightly more than) 3'W space in her bedroom. For this reason, and for simplicity, I think I'll keep it free of side drawers. Also, I'm planning to sand it and paint it black.

The two most important things for me while building the wardrobe:
1. Price - It breaks my heart, but I can barely afford my own rent at the moment, let alone a girlfriend-level Christmas present. I need to keep this project from being a wallet-buster.

2. Sturdiness - wobbling is an absolute no-no. I want to build something that will not topple like a house in a silent movie or sway if you push on it.

Taking these factors into account, How should I structure it, what type of wood should I use, where should I look for the wood, and what tools will I need (I will rent any power tool(s))?

Infinite thanks in advance. I really don't want to screw this up.

SnackinStarfish fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU