Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Does anyone have any recommendations for wood filler?
I have a large number of small nail holes in some 3/4 oak plywood I want to fill. I do not intend to stain it, but I do plan to poly it. I found some Elmers wood filler that is supposed to be color matched, but the reviews on that stuff are overwhelmingly negative.

I may end up doing the sawdust + wood glue method, but my experience is that usually ends up a lot darker and I was hoping to better match the color of the wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Are there any brand recommendations as alternatives to Woodpeckers? I don't mind paying for quality, but $255 for a square is past the line for me.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the recs.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What kind of square do you need? These are totally fine: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/precisioncombinationsquare12.aspx. Get a starrett if you really want one, but I don't think you will see any practical difference. Whatever large framing square I have gotten at any big box store has always been square enough too. Woodpeckers has always seemed to exist in the 'great marketing that promises to solve your problem but really you don't actually need this and oh btw it costs 3x as much as it should' area of the woodworking world, but I've also never used any of their stuff so maybe it really is just bees knees. If you're stuff is consistently coming out not square, it probably isn't because your square isn't square enough.

I was thinking it would be useful to have something like the woodpeckers 1812 or 2616. A solid fixed 90 with the offset height on the side. Certainly not necissary and not the fir price. Seems like engineers squares are the keyword.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I have an upcoming project building a large number of built in bookcases throughout a section of my home, so I will be breaking down and making parts from a lot of plywood. So, per the thread title, I am looking at buying a track saw (something I have been eyeing a while).

Are there any goon recommendations on brand/model?

I am a hobbyist not a pro, so it wont be a constant everyday tool. 6 1/2 will be a large enough blade for me. I am fine with corded. I would need 2 sections of track + any necessary's connectors so I can cut a full 96 inch's.

I was initially looking at the Kreg as the cost/value seems to be there, but they aren't exactly known for power tools and I have read that their system is not very well designed. I have read decent reviews of the Makita system. The Festool TS 55 looks great, but its a stretch on the cost.

Any recommendations or experiences are welcome.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Powertec stuff looks nice. I am curios about the parallel jig you have there. Worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
No personal experience with that saw, but a quick Google search and looking at the pics and I think the fence is hurting you.

Can't tell for sure but it looks like it primarily locks on the front face, I've used saws like that before and it's extremely easy for the fence to lock out of parallel with the blade.