Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Drawers are just solid boxes instead of having an extra piece in the front, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My girlfriend wants a "thing" for her nail polish, so I put this together in Sketchup real quick

Pretend all those red cylinders are nail polish, and pretend I had the attention span to make rabbets for the back in Sketchup.

Shouldn't be any problems putting a thing together like this, yeah? What would be the best way to hang a thing like this? Too thin to cut a keyhole, too small to justify a french cleat. Can I get away with some dinky picture frame hangers?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Some quick math works that out to about 8.5 pounds of nail polish, which seems absurd, but 55 bottles @ ~2.5 oz each. Figure the wood would be another 15-20?

I'd rather not screw it into my wall if I can get away with it, and I was planning on just doing the sides with glue and brads. Do you think it'd be totally critical to use screws?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

swampface posted:

I've used aluminum french cleats (you can also find them as z-clips) like this:

Only a few bucks and very low profile. You can get 10 pairs of them on amazon for $7 here: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-EAM-375-Z-Clips-20-Pack/dp/B005UXIXWY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1523635630&sr=8-6&keywords=z+clip

poo poo, I never knew what these things were. Ran to home depot and bought a big ol chunk of it. Thanks mate!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

A series of compounding mistakes late in the game took me from this

To this

So there’s a load of wasted time

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Phone posted:

what happened D:

Nailed one of those front ledge pieces in crooked. No big deal, hammer it off, cool. Can’t get one of the brads out, try to hammer it down, it goes wonky instead of straight in. Cool whatever I can sand it flush later

Nail it back on loving upside down. Repeat, now there’s three hosed up nails hanging out

Nail it back on straight and in the correct orientation, cool

Decide that rounding over the corners would be nice. Get out my router. Forget that those ledge pieces are only 1/4” thick. Drive a round over bit straight through that same ledge.

Pound a beer in anger, knock the entire thing apart with a framing hammer, pack everything up and call it a day.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

bolind posted:

I'm trying to illustrate why it's a bad idea... so I guess we agree?

Well you’ve got the screws in the wrong side of the board

So like,
Double not how you do it

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Neighbors house got torn down.
Backyard is full of debris wood

What do y’all make of that? Worth carting six feet into my house and removing all the nails from? There’s like uhhhh an entire rowhome worth of whatever this wood is, in various sizes, some 2x4, some 1x12, some absolute massive loving like 6x10x12’ers

But they’ve been sitting out in the rain for a while and they’re all full of nails and I’m not even sure what kind of wood they are

Edit:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

armorer posted:

Where's the house, and roughly how old is it? Near me old joists like that are often heart pine.

Philly, and since it’s a rowhome, probably shares age with my house which is from the 20s I think?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

armorer posted:

Take all of it if you can get it free. It's probably heart pine and worst case you can sell it for more than you'd think. If it were me, I'd take all the large pieces for sure.

That’s a uhhhh lot of wood

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone have plans for a MAME cabinet they can speak to personally? Seems like there are a ton of variations out there, some of which look very janky with weird edges and modular components. Looking to just make a classic clean cabinet to put Asteroids and/or Pacman on.

Hey there. I’m like, practically a professional cabinet builder at this point, making weird bespoke cabinets for indie games, so I’ve probably got your back here (and we can take it to PMs if you’d rather not clutter the thread)

What are you looking for in a mame cab? 1p/2p/4p? Trackballs? Lighting? Do you want a full size cab or a bartop or a cabaret?

In all honesty, cabinets are kind of stupid easy to build. Cut the side profiles out of a sheet of plywood, nail some braces in from the edges offset by plywood thickness and a little bit more for flair, and then just attach the two sides with a shitload of rectangles forever and ever.

Best place to start is to figure out how many players you want and what size screen you’re going to use, and then kinda sketch things out from there.

gently caress plans, design your own weird fuckin thing, put a kegerator in it or something

Since we’re talking about it, here’s some weird cabinets I’ve built

this one is still not quite done, and I totally hosed up the pocketholes by not paying attention, but we’re hosting a game jam for it and it’s going into a weird arts space in Brooklyn and it’s gonna be all lit up and fancy and gay as all hell

This is my baby and how I learned how to make wood into boxes and how to manage electronics and stuff and I designed it too big to enter and exit my house without being completely disassembled so now it lives in my storage unit 99% of the time

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Really I just want to make a classic looking machine, potentially with a working coin slot, with a relatively small screen (20" CRT probably), just to play Asteroids/Pacman. So many designs I see have such fancy open layouts that make it more comfortable to play multiplayer... but they don't feel like arcade cabinets.

Super simple and there are tons of designs out there, just looking to see if anyone has a template they would recommend. I'd be making two as gifts for family member's game rooms, with their respective favorite games on it -- anything crazy like a four player widescreen Turtles in Time booth would be for me and I live in an apartment that wouldn't get such a work of art through the door.

I understand the appeal of the CRT but like
It’s ~90% not worth the headache. You’ll be able to make the whole thing a lot smaller and a lot lighter and a lot less top heavy if you just grab some 21” lcd.

The only thing you really need plans for is the side profile pieces, like I said earlier, everything else is just screwed onto the sides either via pocketholes or brace pieces, like this:

In any case, this would probably be a decent setup, though I don’t think it’ll have enough room to support a CRT

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Why didn’t you just go all out and make a pantorouter

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I don’t know if his personal stuff is edited different than the pop woodworking videos, but I always hated the flow of them

“Alright now we’re going to make this cut”
*puts on eye protectjon*
*puts on hearing protection*
*lines up circular saw*
*takes five seconds of cut in real time*
*removes hearing protection and glasses*
Now we need to crosscut this piece down to 14 inches
*puts on glasses*
Etc

And it’s just a lot of information that could be conveyed much more expediently

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Fuckin humidity

Painted something with some leftover Rustoleum oil-based enamel bullshit paint Tuesday afternoon

Still loving tacky enough this morning that I’m leaving fingerprints in it

God drat

This sucks

It was supposed to be a birthday present for tomorrow

E: can says it’s a 9 hour dry time at 70 degrees and low humidity, I experienced about 36 hours for a full cure in the winter painting Something with a space heater in the room

I think I might just chuck this can of paint so I’m not tempted to use it again

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 28, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bought 50-some original arcade marquees off a dude on Craigslist for $350, made my first lightbox as a birthday present for my best friend, planning on doing the same with most of the others and selling them on Etsy or conventions or something

Turned out pretty alright, it’s just a big box made of MDF and all

But Jesus gently caress Rustoleum, the paint looks like poo poo because I thought the paint wouldn’t take five loving days to dry and I needed to finish it up and handle it and leave all sorts of marks all over it

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Rustoleum spray paint is terrible, and you should avoid it in the future. Jimmy Diresta says it has to do with the solvents in the can, and doing multiple coats. If you do the second coat within a certain amount of time, you're fine, but if you wait too long, you've got to let the paint fully cure before putting another coat on, or the solvents in the can will mess up the previous layer.

They talk about it on the Making It Podcast, starting at around 3:00 here: https://www.makingitpodcast.com/episodes/2017/11/23/episode-145-gobble-gobble

This was brush-on Rustoleum, you can see it in the back of my photo. Not even sure why I bought that, probably the cheapest flat black or something.

Anyone got good recommendations on a flat black

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Table saw stuff

My dad runs a craftsman from the 80s, maybe late 70s, and it’s a colossal piece of poo poo and everything is rickety and the fence doesn’t hold and I’m straight up loving terrified of using it but the man knows all the quirks to it and can get every cut to come out perfectly every single time and it’s absolutely amazing

I went through the table saw shopping process recently, and I ended up with the Dewalt 7491 link

I was committed to having a rolling stand because I kinda store it in my back sunroom and exclusively use it outside, so your usecase might be a bit different; it does store pretty conveniently. The rack and pinion fence is basically the best goddamn thing and is what sold me on it over the comparable Rigid or the Bosch offerings

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bondematt posted:

That 7491 was actually the first one I was really thinking about, that fence and rip size is insane on a jobsite saw. If I had even slighlty less space that would have been the no-brainer choice. How stable do you feel it is, and does the smaller table size ever get in the way?

It's not really that bad, other than the distance from the front of the table to the edge of the blade. There's lots of cuts that I feel fine doing on the fullsize Sawstop they have at my hackerspace that just feel weird when I've only got half a foot of lead space, like ripping really long pieces etc

I still need to build sleds and stuff, though, so there's probably some stuff I could do to fix it

I also have a neat little outfeed that just hooks onto the frame

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

A bit late at this stage buttttttt

Run a block plane over the bottom to take out the high spot

Chamfer the bottom edges so you have something pick up

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Putrid Grin posted:

This might be a really stupid question, but where do I go to buy furniture grade plywood in hardwood flavors like walnut? I live north of Philadelphia, and while I found a charming sawmill where I can get lumber I have no clue where to start looking for sheet goods.

Philly has been pretty not great to me for being able to buy any nicer woods

Your best bet, quite honestly, is to just make a trip out to Lancaster and stock up out there

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Were it me, I’d totally turn over in the middle of the night or struggle to turn off my alarm in the morning and bust that top piece right off

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does it leave burned edges or discolor the wood at all? I thought about having some veneer cut with one once, but to get all the veneer to lay flat and in position to be cut seemed like it would be tricky for someone who didn't do it every day.

Cover it in blue tape

I pay a $30+ membership fee plus, I think, $27 for every hour on the laser, any of the four or five lasers my hackerspace has

I did do a 1.5hr engrave job once. That fuckin sucked and was boring.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I don’t think I’ve ever adjusted the laser to account for the tape, but I guess I’m usually doing acrylic and not wood

Also doing a living hinge out of 3/8” sounds insane, do they still work well?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

I think you may have been better off with the old table saw. What HP was it? Personally would rather have too much tool than suffer with something underpowered. Especially if doing dadoes. Not to mention you will have more clean up to do with a contractor saw spewing dust everywhere, rather than a table you can hook to a shop vac.

My dewy jobsite saw has a dust collection port underneath and a second one on the blade guard that I could theoretically use if I ever had the blade guard on

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I got a gently used ryobi 10” compound miter for like $80 off craigslist. Kinda wish I’d spring for a sliding one though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The sliding just gives you more cut capacity. That’s it. If you ever think you’ll need to cut something 10” wide or more, sliding is good

If you get a stationary because you don’t think you will, you will immediately need to cut a wide board and regret your purchase

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bob Clagett from ILTMS just surrounded his miter saw with cabinets and drawers

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Friend bought a house that had a trash compactor. Trash compactor died after like 6 months. He wants to replace that hole in his cabinets with a hideaway cabinet for a garbage can, and I'm staying at his house rent free for a few weeks with nothing to do, so doing this project has become one of my projects

Got everything basically sorted out, making a kinda lovely cabinet door by edge joining a couple of pieces of poplar and staining them to sort of match his other cabinets, but

god drat

why do router bits gotta be so expensive?

Wanted to get one of those nice wide ogees to kind of match his other cabinets but gently caress if I'm dropping like $80 on a bit I'll use like 3 times. He's getting a 1/4" roundover on his cabinet door and he's going to have to like it.

Also the hinges I got require a metric forstner bit which is annoying as well.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Grizzly always had reasonably priced router and shaper bits in the past. Hope you've got a drill press for the hinges. Also, I'd put a slide-out shelf on the bottom, makes it more convenient.

I’ve got one of those mini drill presses that just chocks into a hand drill which is sub-optimal but should work

And yeah, the dude had bought a little uhhh bin on a slide and had not gotten any farther into figuring out the situation so I’m building around that

Also this loving opening is a hell of a trapezoid but I think it’s kinda going alright so far

Also may have cobbled together a pretty decent match on the stain

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I bought a miter saw stand for the few times a year I need to set it up somewhere other than my shop and now I’m pretty sure I’ll never build a miter station

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hey I made a lovely half cabinet to fill in a hole in a friend’s kitchen from where a trash compactor used to live

Did an okay job matching the stain. Door could’ve used an extra 1/4” in each dimension to account for how off-kilter the space is.

Overall a decent learning experience I suppose

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My dads saw and kind of where I started was on a craftsman from (I think) the late 70s-early 80s

And that thing is a huge piece of poo poo

My dad has been working with it for 40 years so he knows all the quirks and all the dumb poo poo and he’s able to get it set up just right for quality work every time, but When I was shopping for a saw of my own, I fuckin steered clear of that.

Ended up with a dewalt contractor saw that I’m mostly happy with. Once I have a house I can build a real table around it and then I’ll probably actually enjoy using it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

That Works posted:

So I just found a really strange thing and maybe shouldn't question it.

While trolling around Craigslist to look for random used tools / lumber, I came across a guy selling a Dewalt 735 planer for $360 new in box. I reached out, thinking that this might be a sketchy stolen property type of situation or just an outright scam. I got a text from a local number right away and got an address to meet them at. A quick google revealed the address to be in a very fancy neighborhood near my work so I figured I'd take a chance.

I rolled up to a pretty nice McMansion and the seller opened up his garage when I got there. The entire garage was filled wall to wall with new in box Makita and Dewalt power tools of nearly every type I could think of. I noticed he had a pretty robust security system installed as well, looks like he was using his garage as a tool reselling storefront and said most of his stock was listed on facebook marketplace as well (which I don't use).

I didn't ask how, and he didn't offer as to how he had all these, but he did mention that he had sold multiple planers so far and would have more tools "in stock" later on once I expressed interest in buying more things later. He had a DW780 miter saw for like $375 etc that are on my list of things to buy at some point for example.

So like, awesome, I got a new planer for cheap. But, I'm wondering if I just walked into someones cargo hijacking ring or something. Weird stuff.

tl;dr I found a craigslist goldmine but maybe helped out an organized crime operation?

Are you in Philly? I dealt with a dude with pretty much that exact MO for a couple things, though I wasn't spending Dewalt money

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My old shop had one hanging out in a box that they showed people when they did their woodshop clearance classes

But turning it into a clock or something would be fuckin dope

And just keep adding clocks to the wall like an old timey newroom every time someone trips it

Also I can’t figure out what the gently caress you’re describing for how this dude was standing

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

lovely cropped picture but you get the idea

Is

Is that a featherboard

And he’s

What the gently caress

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

I’m kind of tired of the mental gymnastics and tedious clampery of constantly trying to jig poo poo for using my router to ‘bowl out’ trays and stuff.

I think I want a little router table for Christmas. Any thoughts? Nothing fancy. Smaller side is better, not tons of space. Rockler has a little folding/clamp-able one.

I just need something I can fence 2 sides on (to form a corner) and then just work downwards routing out a tray/bowl shape.

The filming is pretty awful on the Popular Woodworking videos but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naMlbjHKh08

or go buy the Kreg one

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 8, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I’ve used CA glue in a couple of woodshop classes where we were making a box in like two hours and didn’t have a ton of time to get everything clamped and set

It works

It’s not great but it works

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hey thread. Fine woodworking this is not.

I make arcade cabinets and arcade games. Next month I'm doing a panel at a convention where the plan is for me to drag all of the chunks of the cabinet down in pieces and assemble it on stage while talking about how to build one. However, I'm going to need to do a bit of on-the-fly engineering while it's being built that I'd love to sort out by dryfitting it beforehand.

It's basically a big box anchored by the sides, which get some 3/4 x 3/4 cleats that all the front panels screw into

(not my photo but a decent illustration of what I'm talking about)

How good/bad of an idea is it to hold this thing together with hot glue while I try to reason some things out? Or is there a better way to hold it all together without going all in on screwing it together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'm just carting all the individual panels to the .... panel, so there's some visual stuff going on while we're talking

So the idea is I'm going to just kind of dry fit everything in my garage (mostly so I can figure out how the screen is going to mount) and then knock it back down to panels when it's time to lug it to the presentation

I could just screw everything together and then unscrew it and reassemble but I feel like I'm just going to be weakening my joints a bit doing that