Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
OK, so I have a similar question to Sasquatch's all the way back on the first page about what exactly I need to get started, except I am basically starting from zero.

Upon some of the other advice in this thread, I looked into some local woodworking classes, and the best I can find is a 4-day "Intro to Woodworking" class that is offered by a local woodworking shop. My dad is an avid woodworker and not too long ago built a full-on shop in his backyard, but of course he lives hundreds of miles away, so the only thing I can ask him for is advice.

I am basically starting from scratch on equipment, save your most basic home improvement stuff like a good drill. So -- where do I start? Should I still head straight for some kind of table saw, or should I start slow with a circular saw and some other stuff?

For what it's worth, the class isn't until January so I won't be getting started until then, and I will be with my family for Christmas so I am going to raid my dad's shop for anything and everything I can get my hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Thanks for the advice, sounds like a plan.

Also, I don't want to turn this into a personal shopping thread, but any thoughts on this table saw from Craigslist? Delta brand, $300 so price is definitely right. I don't mind spending more cash on a better table saw, but if I can get a deal here, that's more $$ for other tools.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
My pops is a fairly advanced woodworker (mostly works on big stuff but enjoys building boxes and such from time to time), and for Christmas this year I'd like to get him a nice set of chisels since the few he owns are pretty old and worn. Trying to stay in a $50-$75 budget.

I found this set on Woodcraft but I don't want to get him a piece of crap set because he knows what he is doing and he'll just end up not using them. Looking at some of the prices on other chisels, this set seems absurdly inexpensive. Is it junk or just a good deal? If it sucks, any ideas for something else in that price range?