Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Woodworking wooo!

Alright. So I want to make a foldable beer pong table for my friends and I to use. I know the dimensions of the table, but I have a few questions...

1. What's the best kind of wood to use? I'm going to put some kind of liquid-proofing on it as well as paint it, so keep that in mind.

2. On the subject of liquid proofing: what's the best stuff to use? My friend used schilack(sp?) on a table at his place and it worked out really well, is that a good option?

3. What kind of hinges should I get? I'm looking for it to fold into either one or two sections, so either in half or in thirds.

4. Any special trick to making it not suck, folding wise? I've had experience with some basic woodworking in the past so I'm not a totally noobie to all of this, but any tips would be appreciated!

Anyway thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

wormil posted:

1. Plywood
2. Shellac is alcohol soluble, not a good choice for a beer pong table. Recommend water based polyurethane.
3. table hinges, they sit flush with the tabletop
4. use table hinges

I figured that just door hinges would be good. Do you think it folding into thirds would be less stable than just the halves, or is that really a big issue?

And thanks again.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

zeek40 posted:

Seconding the just buy one idea unless you really want it to be a DIY project. My friend has this one http://www.pongalong.com/store/ViewProduct.aspx?product=8_foot_portable_beer_pong_table It's $99 and it's built solid as gently caress. It folds up to the size of a large briefcase or small suitcase, we've beat the hell out of it taking it to tailgates and parties, and it still looks good as new.

I'm pretty set on building my own. I think I'm gonna do one split in the middle and maybe some folding legs to stabilize the middle, as well. Gonna draw up(very poorly, most likely) some plans for it soon and hopefully be able to get on it in about a week.

With it folding in half it'll be easy to move; I'm gonna put a pair of handles that lock together on the side, as well. I'm just wondering why I've gotten multiple "Just buy one"s when this is going to be cheaper and I'll be able to make it look how I want, I don't see how that isn't as good as a "more sturdy" table when I could easily make mine sturdy enough.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Completed my first woodworking project, an EAA workbench. Was fun, learned a lot, and now I have a dedicated space to do MORE things :toot:

Cleaned up and in its permanent resting place.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just got a router thanks to the tools thread pointing out Ryobi days, so now I'm interested in building a router table! Are there any goon recommended (free) plans, like the SAA workbench I've seen tossed around?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^ that's super cool! I hope one day to have a sweet homemade station like that.

Right now I'm almost finished with babby's first woodworking project(not counting 8th grade shop class): a tabletop ring game

I have enough wood to make 3 more, planning on giving the better ones away at gifts but I'm not too unhappy with my (first ever) miter cuts and forstner bit attempts! I gotta say cutting at a 46° angle is more awkward than I thought it would be, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So with cold weather coming up I want to try to tackle a woodworking project I've been mulling over for a minute: a fairly large shadowbox. But.. I don't have any plans for one. Can any goons recommend somewhere that offers good plans for something like this? I wouldn't mind paying for them, but I have no idea where to start other than googling "shadowbox plans" lol