Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

so how bad is a Ryobi RTS10G table saw for any kind of precision? When I read poo poo about tools online I have a hard time differentiating between 'bad for pros' vs 'just really bad'. I'm just an amateur so my requirements are pretty low, but it'd be good to know if this thing is actively working against me.

I was bequeathed a bunch of mostly Ryobi tools by a friend who moved cross country a number of years ago (this may have been a wife excuse for him to upgrade), but the table saw is what I use most. Over the years my increasingly ambitious home projects have evolved into a minor woodworking hobby. I've gotten a bit better at this stuff, but I am absurdly unable to do poo poo straight with any of these power tools. Like new blade on the saw and riding along the table's fence with the board's straight edge and the cut is not straight at all.

Maybe the tools are fine and I was just born under a crooked star. I followed a video today to build a crosscut sled so maybe I could make straighter cuts on another project and drat is my front fence some jank poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks for all the info. I removed the blade and cleaned everything and installed a new blade yesterday which made me particularly grumpy about still getting lovely cuts. I'll check the squaring on everything again and see if I can improve it. If the problem is the fence then at least the crosscut sled would avoid the issue when I can get it finished properly. I finally bought my first new proper power tool last night, the Bosch combo router highly recommended everywhere, and I'm hoping to use that to straighten my sled's wonky fence. I had also 3D printed some t tracks for hold downs on the sled and I'm looking forward to using the router on that instead of more tedious chiseling (what I had been doing for such things).

If this table saw won't be tamed are there any budget friendly table saw recommendations?

I had been thinking I was going to get a new one eventually when I built a workbench. I have a lot of space in my garage and my current setup is a couple of random tables from Goodwill. Rather than figure out how to remove the table saw from its wonky rusty table it seemed a good excuse to buy a brand new saw to install into a new bench.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Turns out this old weird corner bench from the old owners in our garage seems to have a decent enough frame when I removed all the crap on it and took off the old plywood top (my wife had been using it as it had a bunch of cubbies cribbed from particle board furniture screwed onto it). Most of the workbench videos I've seen have pretty complicated construction but is there much reason to do anything more elaborate than screw down some fresh plywood? That seems level enough on the frame I assume some sanding would get it fairly level (or as level as I get as someone perpetually crooked with everything).

Edit: are the screws an issue in a garage with big temperature swings? I haven’t done anything where I needed to worry about that before. The old plywood was nailed down but I don’t have a nailgun so that seems tedious.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 21, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Mostly power tools. I haven't gone on the antiquing vision quest needed for less expensive hand planes, but I might do it one day (being able to flatten boards properly would certainly be nice). I've got two pieces of 3/4 plywood so I'll give that a go and I suppose I can always screw on another one if I find that insufficient.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Isn’t the cliche that woodworkers are quiet congenial types lol. Hobby subforum seems like a place where pissy posts are unnecessary :shrug: