Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
My main bathroom is roughly 18 inches wider than the shower is long, so the previous owners boxed in the space next to the shower, and put the laziest possible shelves in there. Rough painted plywood screwed into vertical 2x4s (most of which are part of the wall it seems). It's almost 3 feet deep, about 1 foot wide, and you can knock things off the shelves into the gaps between the 2x4s. I figure I could improve upon the situation by putting in a pantry-style slide out shelf in there and make better use of the space. I've got roughly 11" x 32" x 60" to work with, so one of my main goals is to maximize the internal width. While I'm taking a lot of cues from pantry shelf design, it's not going to be carrying nearly as much weight, but I want to make sure it's not going to fall apart on me.

It'll have 5 sides, with 3 or 4 evenly spaced shelves. Basically a bookshelf on slides. I'm not looking to build up a set of woodworking tools unless this project changes my mind, so I want to keep things pretty basic and use butt joints and pocket holes. The shelves will probably be fixed in position for rigidity, but this is part of why I'm posting: are there any guidelines for material thickness I should be using for the outer frame and shelves? I'm planning to use project panels or something similar for all this.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU