Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Y'all are into bookmatched stuff, right? I accidentally bookmatched my fence.

I'm a fine woodworker now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

meatpimp posted:

Thanks, it's 20 miles away, not worth the risk and gas to find out.

I choose to read this as you refusing to drive 20 miles to put a gun to his head.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

revtoiletduck posted:

I was poking around on facebook marketplace and came across a photo of an interesting jobsite table saw stand:

I messaged the seller, but he wasn't super interested in being helpful if I wasn't buying the table saw itself. Just wondering if any of you guys have seen this design or something similar and might know where I can get some plans. I hate designing my own poo poo.
Google lense brought up this
https://www.etsy.com/listing/965269000/dewalt-table-saw-station-plans

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Uthor posted:

One of the foot rests that I made and gifted to my folks last year broke and my mom is calling in a warranty claim from me. Dang it!
Honestly this is kind of your fault for not just filing for bankruptcy and forming a new LLC right after finishing the project.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

ddiddles posted:

The quest continues to make a square/flush box without a bunch of sanding of wood filler, getting closer.

Anyone have any tricks for getting accurate angled cuts on the miter saw? I had a magnetic digital one but would read a few degrees different every time I used it, so I've just been doing test cuts with a 45 degree mark on them to get it set.
Does your miter saw not have detents at 45? If not, and you need to set 45 perfectly every time, just use a square set against the fence every time you're setting up your cut. If you have detents, then just follow the owners manual for how to properly square the blade.

Apologies if I've misunderstood the question.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

ColdPie posted:

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

THIS IS TOTALLY CHEATING

POWER TOOLZ 4EVA

Oh poo poo man, I assumed you knew power tools existed, and just chose to use hand tools. I think I speak for everyone when I say we woulda told you about them earlier otherwise.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

I finished my thing. Putting up some shelves on this wall, partly so I could set up my old PowerMac, and I didn't want the ugly Dell monitor sitting there, so I de-cased it and made this. Bezel and stand are douglas fir, the back case is poplar. Finished in shellac.

Cords should be wrapped in sisal rope, whole project is a disaster without that finishing touch.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Put a normal rubber band onto the male part of the "slip fit" pipe/hose connection (of anything, this works for vacuum cleaners, etc too) and mash the female part over the rubber band and it'll stay put.
Man, this is different than I remember 'the talk' being.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

keep it down up there! posted:

My SUV was in the shop today getting a winter tire change, so I decided to take my wife's hatchback to get some wood from my local supplier. They were running some great black friday deals so I managed to save about $200 on some walnut and padauk I need for upcoming projects.

While loading it into her car I smashed my thumb between 2 pieces and my knee jerk reaction slammed one into the windshield shattering it.

And that's the story about how I lost $900 buying wood today (maybe less with insurance, we'll see).

I grabbed this exact one and wow what a workflow improvement. Thanks again for the recommendation. This has saved me an insane amount of time.
I found if I set my drill press to max speed it makes a really nice chamfer that I don't need to sand at all.
Is it some sort of crazy expensive car or do you have limited coverage or something? I thought no deductible windshield replacement was pretty standard these days.

Edit: nevermind, just a case of personal bias. It's always been free for me, but it's apparently based largely on what state you live in.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 26, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Shortly after I finished that frame I posted above I finished a pair of speaker stands and got my basement media centre all set up.

I'm just gonna assume there's some marquetry beneath the speakers.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hi, it’s me, a tool! Just reminding you to sharpen and wax me you’ll thank yourself and it won’t even take long!

It’s amazing what a difference it makes when you didn’t even realize poo poo was dull af.
Every 5 years when I change the blade on my table saw that I've used to cut all manner of poo poo, including cement board, I'm absolutely amazed at how well it cuts.

Then I feed it more cement board and dream about that day 5 years from now when I get around to replacing the blade again.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I guess this goes here.

Sat in my Eames replica this morning and it simply snapped.

I assume this is beyond repair, right?
I wouldn't say beyond repair, just need a change in diet and probably a bit more exercise. Chair's pretty hosed though, sorry.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Earlier today my order of veneers arrived from Certainly Wood, about 300 sq ft of various veneers, definitely way more than I need or perhaps will ever use, but looking forward to some fun projects regardless. :getin:
Sounds like you've got enough extra to fix that other guy's imitation gently caress chair.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Calidus posted:

If that’s all 3/4 Baltic birch it might weigh more than most people lamented tops.
Woodworking thread: Lamented Tops

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

CommonShore posted:

drat I'm amazed at this bench. What's the SA prefix that's the opposite of "Grover"? Like calling it "Groverbench" would imply that it's going to break in half and cause the house to get on fire while it somehow sinks into a swamp, but this is like on the opposite end of the curve for over-engineering while somehow being a comparable absolute value of :psyduck:.
Sockington is already sort of an SA prefix, which is why I chuckled sensibly when someone suggested he put steel I-beams in the bench. This bench should not have any metal parts if avoidable.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Skunkduster posted:

If you just want a stand to hold your 3D printer, it would be worth analyzing the time/cost investment of building it from scratch vs. buying something that already does exactly what you need.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Mobile-Thickness-Planer-Stand-DW7350/203164088
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3947328&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Do not attempt to reason with a man who made his own game console.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

ColdPie posted:

I used it to glue up the undercarriage for chair number 3. My first chair with stretchers!

Looks uncomfortable.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Danhenge posted:

There's someone near me selling what seems like an untouched Grizzly GO452 jointer for $415 which seems like a crazy good deal. Not sure where I'd fit it in my shop.
GO4It

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

HappyHippo posted:

Juat throwing it out there: you can buy 6 foot levels that should be straight enough
And actual straight edges that'll be cheaper than a level.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

You know what puts out a surprising amount of heat? A decent size dehumidifier. I have no idea if it would be nearly enough to keep a garage from freezing, but it's very safe.

Dehus stop working in cold temperatures, unfortunately.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I built a small stepstool from pine, what a nice wood to work with. It cuts and planes so easily compared to the hardwoods I normally use. This is one of the few projects I've built totally from pine, I normally use it for drawer sides and back. The only downside was this board was incredibly resinous, it really gummed my bandsaw blade up and my planer rollers.

There's always something impressive about a functional item that just looks nice.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 8, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

My Spirit Otter posted:

crossposting from the cursed thread

Nice looking toilet, sorry you had to make it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

My Spirit Otter posted:

the portable moravian workbench is a good example of tusk tenons

I don't know what a Moravian is, but if that's their portable bench, I wouldn't wanna get in a fight with one.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

That's really irresponsible and could cause issues with the wastewater systems.

Dumping it in the river directly would be better.
Alright, but if DNR catches me, I'm taking you down with me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Dewalt jobsite saw is great for what it is, and the rack and pinion fence is fantastic.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

so how bad is a Ryobi RTS10G table saw for any kind of precision?
Ryobi has come a long way in general tool quality, to the point where I'll now gladly buy stuff of theirs, but I still wouldn't trust them for things that need to be accurate. I have no first hand experience with that saw, but I feel confident blaming it for at least some of your issues.

That's not coming from a place of tool snobbery or anything - my table saw is the dewalt contractor one, and its been a dream to me, even as I push full sheets of plywood over it's 5 square inch table.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

All I know is, if you sharpen stuff any differently than I do, I'm gonna be real angry about it.

May thy chisel chip and shatter.