Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hi woodgoons. I'm about to embark on this bookcase-building project:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/woodworking/4268525

However, my supply of power tools is not what it should be. I've picked up a router and a biscuit joiner, and I'm looking at picking up a miter saw so I can cut boards to the lengths I need. (I'm hoping I can depend on Home Depot Guy to cut the wood to width for me.) Is there anything else I should consider getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Don't count on Home Depot Guy. They'll give their best whack at it, but they won't take the time to carefully measure down to the sixteenth of an inch, so all of your board dimensions will be subtly off. And since you mentioned Home Depot, don't buy wood from them if you can avoid it. Find a proper lumberyard. Home Depot wood is either extremely expensive (their S4S hardwood boards) or extremely lovely (their pine boards).

You definitely need a saw. Miter saw or circular saw is good; anything where you don't need to move the shelf boards through the saw, basically. You'll probably want some kind of jig for drilling shelf peg holes so that you can adjust the shelves (the one I linked is just one of many; I've used it once and it seemed to work well enough).

There's also several general woodworking tools that frequently come in handy (e.g. thickness planer, random orbit sander, block plane), but you won't necessarily need them for this project.

I did call a lumberyard first and explained I was making bookcases and asked if they cut wood to size, and they said "For that kind of work we usually recommend these guys" and gave me the name of a local cabinetmaker. Said cabinetmaker has spent a week and a half not answering his phone and not returning messages. So I'm back to cutting it myself.

I'm planning on fixed shelves. It shouldn't be an issue; I may be a novice woodworker but I know books.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Thomas posted:

If this is purely a width thing, when you buy your lumber from the lumberyard (seriously, go there for your lumber unless your local big box or Woodcraft/Rockler has a sale), also buy a nice straight piece of 2 x 2 oak and a sheet of hardboard, and make a circular saw guide jig like one seen here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497

If the issue is more that you can't fit the lumber in the car, here's a really dumb suggestion: battery powered circular saw and a couple sawhorses. Throw tools in car, buy wood at lumber yard, cut wood to size, throw in car. The hardwood lumber guys near me don't deliver for less than a fortune and won't do cuts, but they said they don't really give a poo poo if I cut stuff in the parking lot. Haven't taken them up on it yet, but the time is coming. Alternately, I keep telling the local lumberyard with free delivery to start stocking nicer ply.

At this point, yeah, it's width that concerns me. I don't think it'll be too much trouble to cut for length with careful measuring and a miter saw to keep everything steady, but I've never handled a circular or table saw and I don't trust my ability to make clean cuts down a large sheet of plywood (especially while keeping my fingers attached). Thanks for the suggestion -- it does look helpful.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I've been cutting 2x4s with a circular saw. It works fine except for one thing -- every single cut is about an eighth of an inch away from where it should be. I measure, draw my line, align the saw with the line (it has a laser guide), and cut, and every time the actual cut is an eighth of an inch to the right of the line. I've tried ignoring the laser and using the notch on the saw base to line up instead, but the result is the same. Is there some way to fix this, or do I have to resign myself to measuring everything 1/8" short?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone ever dealt with reclaimed wood dealers?

I'm a college archivist, and over the years we've gathered a collection of furniture that we can no longer keep. I'm in the process of finding new homes for most of it (Habitat, antique dealers, dumpster), but we've also got a big old beam that was originally part of our chapel, circa 1864, and later removed during modern renovations. I don't want to just throw it away and was wondering if a reclaimed wood company might find some use for it. As you can see, it's got some cracks and cuts in it, but it might be salvageable.