Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
Now that is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
^^That is spectacular. You should definitely post more pics of the process as well as the finished product. Did you get a kit from Martin or some place, or is this from scratch?

Edit: One more question, is the back all one piece?

Jagtpanther posted:

I've decided that in the climate I can't really afford to buy power tools of a quality that I would want, so I'm going to try the hand tool route.

After reading the Collins Woodworking Encyclopaedia, I've come up with the following that I should look into getting 'decent' versions of a few of these (please forgive me for not using the correct names, the book is at home and I'm at work):

* Set of chisels (1/4" up to 1")
* Ripsaw
* Backsaw
* Jack plane

I've already got, or will require some of these ancilliarys:
* Whetstone
* Mitre Box
* The measuring stick with to transfer/scribe marks (oh god retard)

Is that about right?

If you're going to be using hand planes, you'll probably want at least 3 of varying sizes, including a block plane. Quality planes, like a Lie-Nielsen or a Lee Valley, are going to get pretty spendy, just to forewarn. You may be able to find some old Stanley's at garage sales that, with a little TLC, can also be very good planes.

If you're going to be working exclusively with planes and chisels, you'll need to learn how to properly tune them as well as get a solid sharpening system going, otherwise even the best planes will shortly be useless.

As far as sharpening, the cheapest option may be a slab of granite and wet sandpaper. I got the granite slab at Woodcraft. Then you have your water/oil/diamond stones of varying grits. I would recommend you start with the less expensive option first in case for whatever reason you just don't end up liking it or what have you.

PMan_ fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 29, 2009

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002

Jagtpanther posted:

Could you point me in the right direction for where to find this out? My Collins book has side-columns of two or three part illustrations showing tasks like sharpening things - but would like to get a second opinion.

I feel like a doofus, but why would I need granite, wet/dry AND stones? is that the progression from a totally fubar'ed chisel to a good one?

What's the consensus on the japanese tools? They feature pretty prominently in The Book, but I don't know if that's because they're novelties or noteworthy.

Oh, you don't need ALL of those. The granite/wet sand paper should do you just fine. I'm just saying that depending on your budget you can also look at the various kinds of stones. The progression for all of them is going from a low grit to a high grit, typically "polishing" until you can see a passable reflection of yourself in the blade. You'll probably also want to get a honing guide for that, but those are around $15.

As far as other books to check into, The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack is pretty great for learning about planes, how to tune them, how to sharpen them, and how to use them. The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee is also something you'll want to check out.

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
Check your local library, too. Mine actually has a surprising array of woodworking books, including the two that I just mentioned.

As far as milling with hand tools, look into shooting boards.

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
Alright, I know I already asked about this, but I have some more information, so I thought I'd run it by you guys again. Still considering that Jet 10" jointer/planer combo. Goes for $420 new, guy on Craigslist is selling it for $350. The tool in question:

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JJP-10BTOS-10-Inch-Jointer-Planer/dp/B001O0D6OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1241445662&sr=8-1

I contacted the seller, who reported the following:
The fence is poor but planer and face use is great

Should I take this to mean that edge jointing is not so hot? Since I would be purchasing this for the jointer portion (already have a planer), I am wondering if I should just play it safe and get a more traditional 6" jointer.

The Amazon reviews are still pretty favorable, but I'm just nervous about shelling out for something that might not be any good, I suppose.

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
Good points. I'm swinging by there tonight, hopefully everything will check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
Tell me about finishing cherry. My first time working with it, I got some to make a few picture frames out of. I've read a bunch of different things about finishing it, from setting it out in the sun and using minimal products, to using a whole slew of different things from oil to shellac.

Is there an accepted "best method"?