Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

wormil posted:

I saw a youtube of a girl building a tardis and freehanding her cuts on a tablesaw. :stare:

Link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/atq/3518647505.html

Oh my god its so pretty :3:

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

To be clear, it's not you we care about, it's your wood.

or your lathe :3:

I've never seen any of those "leaning" desks, large or small in person or in use. If you have access to a table saw you can make all sorts of pretty kick-rear end small desks though, and with three or four legs they'd be a bit sturdier.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/gallery/tag/desk

Any of those traditional looking 4 leggers that don't have big curves would be a great project to try. You'd need to make a tapering jig for the table saw which is another good exercise, but its not that difficult.

You could make a very small-top writing desk with the same footprint as that leaning guy, just as light (if that thing is MDF, then waaay lighter).

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

wormil posted:

He's made 2 versions of the Dutch chest, one big, one travel size but I think he is still using the English chest in his shop or that was the impression I got while chatting.

My friend has a really sick DIY chest, he took one of those knaack gang boxes he bought used and built a carpenter's style sliding multilevel tool chest into it using cheaper wood and fasteners instead of joinery, he's got all his hand tools in it and some power tools at the bottom, and the whole thing can be rolled around his rented shop space.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Guitarchitect posted:

can someone point me to (or explain) the benefits of a wood hand plane (like a krenov) versus a steel hand plane? the former seem like a pain in the butt to properly adjust, while a decent stanley plane just takes an adjustment here + there on the fly to take a deeper cut or straighten the iron. does it just come down to cost? and are the inconveniences of adjusting a wooden plane worth it?

Stanleys and most iron planes aren't actually square and move to a less degree than wood, and require flattening attention now and then. Having a wood body plane means you can easily adjust the sole, as well as the mouth and other crucial things, as well as the fact that you can just build it yourself for the cost of the iron. You can therefore just buy thicker irons than the super thin irons that only fit planes like Stanleys.

As an apprentice, when I hosed something up and my boss wanted to plane a maple benchdog that had a screw in it and he asked where the screw was and it wasn't where I thought it was and he scratched his baller brass plane, I was mortified. He spent ages reflattening because the edges of the nick of course are raised as displaced brass has to go somewhere.

Wood planes are awesome to use, too. You can modify the ergonomics to suit your plane style, and of course if someone with experience in non-western planes ever shows you how awesome japanese planes (and chisels, and well, all sorts of things) are, you will say "OH WELL gently caress ALL THIS."

Have an open mind to different tools and ask yourself if there really is only one solution. Wooden planes are boss. Flattening all the locking parts and sole of a #7 you bought for 20$ becomes SO MUCH TIME down the road.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Guitarchitect posted:

haha, I am starting to realize that - i keep reminding myself that I need furniture more than I need another tool! but making a nice little block plane won't be so bad, right? hehe

Well if you make nice tools you'll make nicer furniture!

Bad Munki posted:

What is this bullshit? <:mad:>

I KNOW RIGHT. Tools > furniture.

So.. our tool party is at your house right?

Okay post your spoons now, and what spoon carving stuff you have, because I just ordered some forged stuff from Del Stubbs and I need all the details.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Way rad. Saw that in the background of another image, and yeah Peter Follansbee is awesome! Del and him went to school together.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Why would anyone do that when you can just cut the box off at the base? Then you can muscle up and gently caress up your back.

Humping machines (esp huge planers) onto and off of pallets is great if you are in your 20's. Not so much your 30's.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Prathm posted:

What tool-brand makes good chisels? Preferably one available in Europe/ Denmark.

Narex. Cheapest and best.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Oh dear me posted:

Has anyone any experience with or ideas for a workbench suitable for disabled people?

In particular I'm thinking of people who need to work from a chair (chiefly with hand tools). Obviously this causes difficulties at a standard workbench, both in reaching and in applying downward pressure. I've been thinking about ways to - in effect - rotate the bench 90 degrees, so that horizontal pressure can be used, but it occurred to me that I'm probably trying to reinvent the wheel: someone must have designed something like this already.

I might look more towards japanese woodworking than english. Workbenches are made for working while standing and applying a lot of downward work, which presumably if you're talking about a wheelchair would take away a significant portion of the potential work.

If you just took a european workbench and lowered it you'd obviously drop it right into the way of the wheelchair, and the most important part of the workbench is being able to completely move around it, as well as move the workbench itself.

I think japanese woodworking is far more conducive to everyone. I've never had any exposure besides following a couple japanese woodworkers online and talking in forums, but it just looks like a more comfortable and honestly easier way to work. What sort of disabilities are you addressing, or are you just making a one-size-fits-all disabled workbench?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, this is exactly the problem, and it does seem that using pull rather than push could help with it. I know nothing else about Japanese woodwork, so will have to do some research - thanks very much for the suggestion!

In japanese woodworking you work on the floor and use a variety of benches and workholding that relies on the body so it still might not be great for the handicapped but depending on the handicap it can work. I just think it would be way more flexible than english/french.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Chubby Checker posted:

I do a decent amount of woodworking and am disabled, I never really post but lurk a lot. I have no movement in my hands, some wrist srength, no tricep strength but my biceps are pretty yoked. C4-C5 Quadriplegic from an SCI.

So the Japanese stuff is spot on for sawing, I like the double sided razor saws from japanwoodworker.com I wrap the handles with tennis racket grip tape which helps a ton. For planes I prefer western metal bodied planes because their weight does all the work. I wear a snow boarding wrist guard to shove mallet handles down into to hold them for chiseling.

I have gone through 3 benches that I have designed and built and nothing has ever been as effective as my heavy steal saw horse adjusted as low as possible to still let my knees under. I attached a hardwood 1x6 to the top of the saw horse and use mainly C clamps o hold poo poo down. I sometimes wedge stuff under one side of whatever I'm cutting so that it has a slight tilt toward me. The 1x6 also has a groove in it so I can clamp both sides of the board and avoid splitting. For planing and bigger stuff I use a lovely 4/4 oak table along with various angle iron and c clamps.

I have a piece of 8/4 maple that I want to make into a nicer version of my saw horse/1x6 combo thing but haven't had time. I also have an accessible metal work shop with a 8x14 lathe and G0704 Mill, I also tig weld with a mouth switch that I rigged up. OSHA would not approve.

Thanks for posting, that's a lot of valuable info. I worked for a guy who has a debilitating illness and is back on permenant dialysis, so strength/grip was an issue as well as general fatigue which affects everything, although he pumps out killer stuff on a pretty hectic schedule.

That's interesting that you hold work at an angle, I was just watching a woodwright's episode on TV this morning where he was going over the Moxon plates about very old workbenches and one of the illustrations showed a cabinetmaker's shop where a worker used a holdfast to clamp a board at an incline with things propped under one side, so its obviously a much used idea.

The welding sounds quite awesome. If you are interested at all I know an editor for fine woodworking who would probably be interested in writing about or discussing differently abled work styles, he's a huge workplace comfort and safety advocate and its something that could be a great resource for other people figuring out how to make their shops work better for them.

My email is mattus@gmail.com

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 13, 2013

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I was actually reading about that recently. The key, apparently, is to make sure that you round the edges before planing it.

Less rounding but breaking the edges, ie a chamfer would work, this is so the grain isn't just pulled and torn straight out sideways but has a receding line of support as it goes in/out.

This will loving decimate your planer, of course. Run a soft board through right after and see if you picked up new nicks and how much duller it is. I do it for endgrain cutting boards through as I'm way too lazy to run through sanding grits.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah probably not a great idea to loosen the screws and run the plane, they can wiggle out and be thrown. A much larger version of that happened at a shop I was at and bolts holding a blade on on a standing planer/jointer were launched into a wall. Blade stayed in. Scary.

Its probably just defective. Return it and try a new one, electric planers aren't great for what you're trying to do but they can do it.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

rotor its worth calling lumber mills, foresters etc and asking around if anyone has a portable "alaskan" mill or a woodmizer or something close by. I found a guy an hour away who will drive his mill over, park on my lawn and process wood all day for 150$/day (8 hrs) and he's apparently very reputable. He can then kiln dry it too, or just let you sticker it yourself.

I think everyone is pissed off they don't have a gently caress off big shop full of cool tools, a little bit at least :)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Cmdr. Chompernuts posted:

Why not grab a Hock blade and build the body?

This. All you need in a plane is a thick hock blade, the rest you can work out yourself.

quote:

Plane blade-laid steel blade, is made of steel
I wouldn't.. I mean, I know its probably at least actually some sort of steel, but..

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Stavrogin posted:

Wormil/carforum/chaotic, what do you think of the drying theory put forth by this guy- http://www.customwooddesign.com/turninggreenwood-1.html ?
He seems to hold if you turn it thin enough the first time and bag the bowl, it can dry anywhere between 2 days and 3 weeks. Seems crazy? But I don't know any better.

Also, what are bad woods to turn? I live in the northeast and am harvesting lumber here, so I'm not worrying about lignin vitae or cocobolo or anything. What are your favorites?

1) That's what I've always used. Turn near finished size and in a week or so do a bit of finish work. Thin enough, it'll be drat near perfect.

2) http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/ or Bruce Hoadley's books. Basically treat all wood dust as really bad for your health. Wear an N99 or better respirator.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

wormil posted:

Here is a picture of the burl I've been working on. The problem is that it broke off my Nova chuck and I'm not sure how to remount it securely. I don't have a Longworth or similar so that can fix the bottom. Any ideas on that are welcome. The red spots are wormholes I filled with padauk dust and CA glue.

http://bobhamswwing.com/Articles/No%20Chuck%20Bowl/Page%2011.htm

Vacuum, friction or jam chuck. You can get a 4 jaw penn state industries economy chuck with faceplate for 90$ if anyone needs starter gear:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lathe-chucks.html

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Chris, or Quetico Chris, is awesome. He sent me a box of tools a while ago after talking with him about various things. What an awesome dude.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

mds2 posted:

I wish. I'd love to take a class with Roy.

Hey, can you guys tell me if you think this price is crazy. https://www.etsy.com/listing/166553013/japanese-style-wood-plane I'm trying to generate some extra xmas money. Is there a better place to try and sell planes?

Try forums like OWWM or whatever the cool kids read now. Price is fine for whatever you set it to, its more about getting a bigger audience.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Frogmanv2 posted:

Set your table saw blade to the required angle and add a stop block at the required length.

Either way its a bit dodgy but I'd make the cut in the center to terminate it by hand then run it through the table saw until you get just shy of the half-way mark (it won't cleanly cut it off due to the arc of the cut from a table saw). Make sure you have a safe way of holding the piece and cut off power and when the saw stops spinning pull it out and finish the cut by hand.

Stopped cuts at an angle on a small piece like that scream "work holding jigs." Keeping your body out of kickback firing range of a table saw on a piece like that is basically impossible, fyi.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

On the topic of in-floor dust collection, I used to apprentice at Jeff Miller's shop which is in an old bowling alley. It sucked to get through the lanes but you could drill through the floor and run all the DC and power through the subfloor which owned because he had huge windows on the roof to let in natural light that were unobstructed.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah it was a crawlspace, but that also sucked for various reasons. The other way to do this is to have a shop on the second floor and run everything under the second floor but be able to access it from the first on ladders. I did that at another shop I worked at. More room to work (and you can stand) but you have to be up high to work on it. Electrical and duct work I found was way easier to work on when you had light and didn't have to crawl.

The #1 thing to think about though is duct lengths and maximizing duct diameter. Keep everything as short as possible and have your most dust-generating tools on the shortest main runs, its even better to be able to shut off ducts to everything but those tools when you're using them.

One of my favorite woodworking projects had no woodworking but was designing a DC system on a serious budget, which was super fun.

More duct stuff: use rigid stuff, never use flex hoses

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

rotor posted:

I can't sharpen my scraper right. I file the old burr off, file the top flat, hone it with a diamond paddle, then run the side of a nicely chromed screwdriver at a ~20* angle down the edge, pressing pretty hard. I get a burr, but it doesn't do more than make sawdust, i get no curls.

there's like a billion different guides and a lot of them actually have some pretty different stuff goin on. How do y'all do it?

Burnisher. Hardness matters, plus check the card after a pass to make sure you're raising it visually and by feel. Either a burnisher or someone makes these neat jigs with a small hardened steel dowel at angle that is handheld. You also might have a crappy card? Should get actual shavings not dust

Some of it is practice getting a consistent edge. Build up to it with smooth strokes (lol) because you're making that lip by hand shaping.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 13, 2014

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Stalin McHitler posted:

What's up with that? I bought a walnut log, actually the core from a log that was turned into laminate. It turns out it's full of metal chunks, I assume to keep the wood from splitting, and they dulled the poo poo out of my new roughing gouge because I had no idea it was going to be full of metal. I can't even tell how they got there because I can't see an entry point on the 3 I found, and am hesitant to use any more of this wood for anything for fear of ruining tools. What gives?

I thought of using magnets to try find the rest, but what's the best way to remove them before turning it with minimal loss of material?

Bullets and or nails, run into both on very old logs, unless you're saying they look inventively driven in to do something to the log

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

c0ldfuse posted:

Alright I have a non-woodworking issue which I think could be solved by woodworking tools:

I just started a new job in injection molding and we have a constant issue with getting the gates (the point where plastic flows into the actual mold cavity) trimmed down as flush as possible. This is an eternal issue in the industry.

Here are two photos of an example piece which is moderately difficult:

Everything is being hand trimmed because it allows you to be more careful about not damaging the part. My idea is to get (as a trial before possibly upgrading to a better tool) a small dremel and table mount to operate it with a shaper bit and build a small part-specific load from top fixture/jig which only allows for the part to be inserted (blocks fingers due to size). It can be set up to allow for only the gate area to come into contact with the bit.

This sounds like it should work in my head just looking for confirmation before I pull the trigger on it.

500 is a really small run so you'll probably hate this advice but your gate location sucks, change it. Violates like two cardinal rules of mold design no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Need a recommendation.

We have a CNC station doing timber frame sections. The tenon and mortices are about 2" wide by varying depths of up to 12". Up till now the fitters have been chiseling the roughly routed mortices to smooth out the tool marks. What I want is a sanding attachment of some sort for drill bit or some such (chiseling is wonky and clumsy at best for this work and take too much time). I've seen cylindrical sanding thingies at big box home improvement places but only for sanding tables designed for them. Do bits exist for the scale I am looking for?

Edit:
Something like http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Diamond-Profile-Straight-Router/dp/B00SL1881I/ref=sr_1_8?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1422201911&sr=1-8 perhaps, but on a longer larger scale? (and obviously for wood rather than marble)

..better toolpathing, or are you limited by your CNC for cutting back on tool marks