Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
Can someone explain the process of molding plywood? It seems interesting and I was wondering what kind of tool and materials you would need to do such a thing on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
I was wondering if someone could recommend what to do and use for sealing raw mdf or stained mdf? I'm building an entertainment center and want to keep the look of raw mdf.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros

Bad Munki posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of particle board? Or the people who are saying MDF is fine are thinking of particle board? Particle board is pretty standard fare in the mass-produced furniture market. It's lots of little particles of wood, all glued together. MDF, on the other hand, is super-fine wood dust with resin as a bonding agent. I know a guy who owns an aquarium store, and all the stands are made of particle board (except the ones that are solid wood.) Not a single one was made of MDF.

Particle board, while it may swell and disfigure, won't be completely compromised when it gets a little wet here and there, unlike MDF.

To be clear, particle board:

and mdf:

If you've seen MDF aquarium stands in person, well, good luck to them (and you) but if you're reading accounts on a forum somewhere from people who have built a particular design and they're saying, "I built it out of MDF," I would seriously question whether or not they know what they're talking about (they may not know the difference between particle board and MDF, lots of people don't.)

If you can keep it bone dry and seal it up all to hell, maybe it'll last, but in my experience, the increased humidity in the immediate vicinity of your average fish tank is enough to potentially compromise the integrity of MDF. It may take a while, and it may not be consistent enough to actually mush it, but it could easily sag and deform and when you go to move the fish tank some day, you may find that the stand is falling apart in places. Or it might collapse before then.

Medex.