Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I'd like to build some tables:

My Tool List: A Cordless Drill, Circular Saw, Hacksaw, Some basic Chisels. (IE Not a whole lot).

Computer Table: I want it to be about :
6' Long, 2'10" wide, and about 27" Tall.

I've watched some videos online on different jointery. I have become fascinated with the Mortise and Tenon joint and I believe I'd like to use it to mount the legs to the table top.

I also want to build another table for studying purposes - a massive table I can put all my papers books and other crap on.

~ 8' Long, 2'10" Wide, ~27" tall
(Left in the rendering)

Is the Mortise and Tenon a good way to connect the legs to the tabletop? I want the table sturdy and smooth - if it wobbles I shall blow it up with thermite.

What should I use for the table top? As you can see in my tool list, I am basically poor as hell at the moment. I was thinking of using an Oak Plywood that I saw at Lowes for $45 (8' by 4' or something) for the top of the 6' and have them cut it to the basic sizes. I thought I'd make the mortise and tenon with my hacksaw, drill, and chisels and use 2"x3" pieces of wood. Obviously, this is going to take some man labor with all the lack of tools I have...

Here are some more pictures (renderings). I've chosen the sizes because they fit in the room well (which I've also rendered).
http://picasaweb.google.com/tposen/DropZone

Thanks for any suggestions/help in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Wormil, what do you think of the Plywood Oak?

Sounds like I should make an apron of sorts.

How do you typically joint the legs to the top of the table? What is regularly used?

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
With a sturdy apron, should I use some MDF?
6'X3' basically and another 8' by 3' (maybe MDF for the big boy?)

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Right on, thanks Wormil and Grayham, I appreciate the help.
I'll be sure to check out some of those books. I'm excited to build and therefor have the 'perfect' table.

The 1.5" strip - are those typically sold or do you have to cut them to fit? I saw they also did some sort of edge tape deal that looks like wood as well.

Whats a good basic router? I plan on building some of my furniture in the future and also some speakers as I've been inspired by this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2402844&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also, for a random orbit sander, any brands I should stay away from?

Thanks for the help.

TheChipmunk fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 10, 2008

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
This thread and the idea of speaker building has gotten me interested in woodworking. I believe I am fairly competent with electronics - now its time to get into the fine art of woodworking. My Grandpa and Uncle were professional woodworkers. I can see why - tools are cool as hell, and a custom furniture piece would be highly rewarding.

After some thought, persuasion, and magic - I got some new tools:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Passed down tool that wasn't used a whole lot:

Some clamps:

Passed down circular saw:

My next tool will likely be a random orbit sander. I'm getting a pass down square sander (vibrates left and right basically) as well.

With the new router, I think I now have some new options. I don't know why, but I have some fixation on using and building mortise and tenon.
I'm thinking I will use a mortise and tenon to attach the aprons to the legs. I've also added a middle strut to the table:

(6' X 3' Top) - Modeled after a Parson's table.

I'm having trouble deciding how big the legs should be. Currently I have it drawn out to 2x3 (Legs, Aprons, Middle support). I'm wondering if I should use a 2x4 for legs. Really, I'd like a 3x3 but Lowes/Home Depot doesn't carry it.. I also saw a design that used multiple boards - nailing them together to get a square leg. I don't want to use nails or many screws. I want to use as few as possible.
I'm excited. Any thoughts?

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Yeah, the jig saw wasn't used a whole lot and I wasn't expecting much from it. The original owner was neither my grandpa or uncle and he didn't mind passing it on. Nonetheless, it was free.

As for the legs - I want more of a blocky appearance. I am concerned with aesthetics to a degree. 2"x4" 's do indeed seem 'crude' and more 'shop-like'. I don't know how to get a 3x3 without doing some milling (with equipment I don't have).

I may use 2"x3" 's.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Google Sketchup - Great program and really easy to use for designing/ideas. There is a free downloadable version and a 'pro' version with more features.

I'm thinking a 4x4 would be too heavy to lug around... But yes, as far as I know, a Parson's table has pretty chunky legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
A university shop is a good idea - especially if you need to do work on more expensive machines. The only problem: You better plan and have your measurements spot on.