Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

Im planning on making a nice cribbage board out of some leftover hickory. I'm wondering what's the best way to make a place for storing the pegs inside the board. I have a commercially made board that has a spot routed into the bottom with a little metal cover that slides into a groove. Id like to do something like this, or anything that would look nice, but I'm not really sure how to get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

ChaoticSeven posted:

If the board is elevated on legs the only idea that sprang immediately to mind is... You know those electric griddles that have a grease catcher underneath, that slides in on a t-shaped track? You could take some 1"x1" strips, route a t-slot in it, and make a box large enough for the pegs to fit. Use a dado blade on the sides of the box leaving about a 1/4 at the top to slide into the grooves on the stock you cut earlier. You'd just mount them under the board. Thats my idea anyway.

I'll think about that. Sounds tough though, for me anyway.

Another question: A family friend recently had to take down a black walnut tree and I went to help saw it up. I cut a few 2-3" cookies off with the chainsaw in hopes of using them for something, maybe a stool, clock, or cutting board maybe. However I'm wondering if these things are likely to split once they dry out. Is there a good way to prevent this short of buying a wood drying kiln or is this something I even need to worry about?

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

So I'm going to try inlaying some strips of walnut and birch into a piece of hickory for a project and I'd like to stain the hickory but not the birch so it has a nice contrast. Is there a good way to mask the inlaid wood so that it doesn't take any stain? I assume I could cover the exposed top part with tape or something but I'm concerned with stain soaking into the birch from the sides. What do I need to know here?

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

ChaoticSeven posted:

Stain before inlay.

Well I'll need to do a lot of sanding to get the inlays to be flush so that would mess up the stain job wouldn't it?

Boogeyman posted:

There was an episode of The New Yankee Workshop where Norm built a set of nesting tables with some inlays (maple in mahogany if I remember correctly, along with a little medallion in the middle). He put a couple of coats of shellac on the medallion and maple first to seal them, then stained the rest of the surface the way he normally would with a water based stain. When he wiped the stain off, it came right off of the inlays since they were already sealed.

Actually I remember seeing this but I just totally forgot what he did. I was hoping someone else had seen it, thanks. Is there any reason polyurethane wouldnt work? I have lots of that but no shellac.

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

Here's a cribbage board I just finished with the inlays that I was asking about. I just did like was suggested and put a thin coat of poly on before staining. Seemed to work pretty well.

Here's what I came up with for peg storage. It's okay but the two pieces dont fit as flush as I'd like : /