Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cucumbrrr
Apr 19, 2004
robot
This thread is great.

I'm just getting into woodworking, after wanting to be into it for as long as I can remember. My family owned a sawmill in Mass. for a very long time, and almost all of my uncles were carpenters. There is a great shop here in Seattle called Ballard Woodworks that offers classes, as well as lease-able work spaces, and communal tools.

I recently finished a small table made of Ash. I learned how to make mortis and tenon joins, and kept the live edge on the wood as well. I'll try to post pics soon. RIght now I'm working on a shelf system to hold all of my vinyl records. It's all mahogany, and I'm pretty stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cucumbrrr
Apr 19, 2004
robot
Watco Danish oil is what I used to recently finish my Ash table, pictured below. It's super easy to use, and does a good job. I didn't to a poly topcoat, but there's no reason you couldn't.

cucumbrrr
Apr 19, 2004
robot
And here are the images...

cucumbrrr
Apr 19, 2004
robot

dreg posted:

Awesome, I love the boards with the bark still attached. I made a spalted maple bench for my sister, all with drillholes & dowels, no metal. If it ever breaks while people sit on it, then it was supposed to be a table. ;)

Nice! This looks great. Can you talk a little about what kind of finish you used on the top/sitting area? I like the high gloss finish, I'm curious if it involved much wet sanding, etc.

cucumbrrr
Apr 19, 2004
robot
Hey guys, quick question regarding a finishing project I will be tackling soon. My Mom picked up a pair of Adirondeck chairs the other day, and she said she doesn't want them to weather and turn grey, so she asked me if I'd "stain" them. According to the guy selling them (he's also the one who made them), they were treated with "sealant". Which, to me, means that they won't weather. But I guess according to the guy, if I don't stain them they will start to grey.

The chairs are both made out of cedar, and I'm just wondering what the best way to go with finishing them. I don't think I need to sand/strip off the sealant, but I am unsure what type of product to use here. Any and all suggestions welcome!