Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
I love seeing wooden boxes. I want to buy an Incra system just to build little wooden boxes and give them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

cucumbrrr posted:

And here are the images...

I like the unfinished look on the edge there... have you thought about intentionally distressing the top by whacking it with some chain and maybe scorching then sanding and refinishing for dark depressions to make it look more worn?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

grover posted:

Not much of a step up, at least not the base models. They're useful enough for tasks that really require a table saw to do, but the cheap table saws give terrible quality cuts. By which I don't just mean the blade chatters and leaves scorch marks and scratches (it does), but that the fence is usually not only not perfectly straight, but not adjustable to make it straight, and the throat plates aren't interchangeable and have a wide hole so small things tend to fall into it and jam. And my delta had a safety defect (they mistakenly drove a screw for the power switch THROUGH the black wire, and it shocked me three times before I figured out what was going on.)

But they're cheap and it's a table saw :)

This is a good point. I've been eyefucking the Incra Systems for years now and project buying one in the next couple months... but I'm probably going to need to get a new table saw to have for the base unit. On their site they typically show JET saws as the base, I don't know if it's because of the quality or simply because they are white and show off the INCRA product better.

What table saw recommendations do you guys have?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

wormil posted:

What HP and price range?

Don't care / $1500 max. That said though, it should be a shop saw or contractors saw or similar since that's what the INCRA system was designed for. I could go all out and get a cabinet saw but this setup is probably going to wind up on wheels for moving around the shop.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

wormil posted:

Well in that price range I would go full tilt with a 3HP 230v Delta cabinet saw with a mobile base. The downside is that a Delta or Jet are probably at the top or a little over your price range although you might get a deal from someone local. You could easily fit a Grizzly cabinet into your budget.

If you want to save some dough or really want to stick with a contractor saw, any of the major brands I mentioned previously are within your budget. Here is a nice $800 setup from Delta.

Or a $900 setup with a Biesemeyer fence.

I have the Unifence and like it considerably and it does have some built in advantages such as being easily reverserable without having to realign. It has a thin face for thin materials and height off the table is easily adjustable. Not to mention its built like a brick shithouse and can take a pretty good whack without needing readjustment.

On the other hand, there are a lot of shop made jigs designed for Biesemeyer.

I wouldn't recommend a jobsite saw unless you really need mobility or have a very limited budget.

Honestly, the fence is probably going to be removed entirely, because the INCRA system replaces it. The INCRA system is designed for repeatable micro adjustable precision, which is why I wanted a great saw to go with it. Just don't need the fence :)

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CNCzone.com has all sorts of information on this. I'm drooling over a couple of the very large CNC routers that are listed on there.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

ChaoticSeven posted:

Shop= finished. (Yeah right.) Tornadoes can suck my dick, I dare another one to come my way.
[IMG WHOLE BUNCH O GRIZZLY]

Nice man. What's the tool between / next to the bandsaw and dust collector

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I'm thinking about buying a table saw and putting an Incra fence system on it. Since the Incra system will be replacing the existing fence on the saw, I care more about the quality of the saw itself and the wings, than the fence that will come with the saw itself.

Does anyone have recommendations on a hybrid or cabinet saw for around $1k to 1500?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Yeah part of the problem is that I only have house power available so I need a standard outlet saw, otherwise I'd seriously consider this monster:
http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/2963334422.html

Jet has a JS-10 model that looks pretty promising:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2063499/24158/Jet-10-ProShop-134HP-30-CW-Model-JPS10.aspx#Information

Which has the advantage of being ready to go for the Incra TS-LS fences.

I really like the looks of the Powermatic 64A but that'd require a deeper fence adapter from incra

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Never stop posting bowl pictures. I am so loving jealous of your lathing.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

The Spookmaster posted:

$700ish worth of stuff with the extension drilchuck and rest for $125

Craigslisting from people who have no idea what they have is the best

Nice score, I wish my craigslist had deals like that gently caress you I am so jealous, must be nice

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Ok, could use some tool recommendations. I've pretty much decided that I'm buying a Jet JPS-10 tablesaw and will probably replace the existing fence with an aftermarket one, so I'll just get the 32" model with cast iron wings. I also have my eye on a Porter cable router and have found a couple plans for building my own router table.

I'm really liking the looks of this Powermatic Drill Press because it's powerful enough to use for some other projects I'm interested in, and push comes to shove I can pop some mortising bits in there and use it as a mortiser until I can get a dedicated one.

So, I could use recommendations for a good bandsaw and a decent planer. After taking a lathe class last weekend, I'm probably going to buy a lathe in the future, but I have too many basic tools I need to get prior.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Good looking out. I've found a less expensive delta that has rave reviews instead

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Followup post: I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on the Jet JPS-10 saw, Delta 18-900L drill press and a crapload of incra gear (TS-LS Combo #4, router with lift kit, miter gauge, etc)

If there's interest I'll see what I can do about documenting putting this stuff together. Next up: replacement sawblades for the tablesaw. Woodgears.ca likes using 6" skillsaw blades for a lot of his work since they are thinner, but he uses the evil metric system. Has anyone had good results with anything similar, or have recommendations for decent saw blades & dado sets? Also, bandsaw needed!

There's a number of sawmills nearby (or not too far away) so I'm really looking forward to working with decent wood.

sky shark fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I am a firm believer in barkeepers friend after seeing it take off surface corrosion in under a minute.

I've got a really lovely early 2000's craftsman tablesaw I'd love to convert to a dedicated dado station or something, but I have no idea what would be involved in doing this. The top is poo poo. The built in fence is poo poo. Replacing the built in fence looks nigh impossible because it's built into the table itself. It irks me every time I look at it.

Part of me says build a cabinet around it with a sacrificial mdf top and mount an aftermarket fence to the new cabinet, but I'm open to suggestions.

sky shark fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 15, 2012