Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I have a set of wooden wineboxes from my job and I want to make them pretty.

Now I know nothing about staining or finishing, nor anything about adding nice hardware to make them a little more convenient (Like handles or hinges for lids). But I want to do that to them and have some real nice storage bins around the house. Should I make a thread, or keep bugging this one with all my newbie woodworking questions? :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
:) Questions then:

wormil posted:

I would recommend an aniline dye

My big concern is preservation. These boxes are pretty raw wood and they warp quick in the sun. The lids are the big victims, but more on that later. So will the dye make the wood last longer?

quote:

I use dye like this: buy a cheap hand sprayer from the dollar store or Walmart and a quart of ethanol, mix the dye per instructions, spray the dye on the wood.

Just a hand sprayer a la Windex?

quote:

simply sand gently with a fine sandpaper (220 grit).The dye soaks into the wood so you won't sand through the color as you would with stain unless you sand really hard.

What about the art on the boxes? how can I sand the wood, but not damage the (I think) burned on brands?

quote:

I'm not sure about lids, you could just take the existing lids and put hinges on them, I'll have to think about it.

I just about have to have new lids. Between the sun and just necessity of opening the boxes, I have less than half of the original lids, and even those are mostly split in half. I'll need to straight up make a couple lids. I'd also like to have them attached to the boxes if possible.

How likely can I add handles on the sides? It seems the wood's thin-ish on a couple, so I have no idea if that's a matter or not.

And I can take any pictures you need. :)

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Ok, cool. I'll have a status report sometime soon. Thanks :)

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
No wood dye in my little town here. So let's talk about staining. My dad say it's easy- peasy. Is it?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

All done. I went with dye in the end. Had to wait a WHOLE 3 DAYS for it to get here. Took forever, I know.

Anyway, how do they look? And how can I go about preserving them?