Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looking good friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I built a cold frame out of cedar. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment so I did all the work for it on my balcony with hand tools, a drill, and a Dremel plunge router. It turned out pretty good for me having essentially no wood working experience

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Does anyone use any drafting or modeling software to plan their projects? I just sketch them out by hand in a notebook but I wouldn't mind something with possibly some features

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Congratulations! Have you been doing fairs long?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

2nding danish oil, it just workstm

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I want to build a little indoor greenhouse cabinet thing, what's a nice looking wood for water contact and humidity resistance for indoors? One that isn't cedar since I'm tired of using it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

🤔

Here's what I've got right now.

Aside from size my biggest complaint would be the restricted airflow. The point of it isnt so much to warm and humidify the plants as it is to keep my cats from eating them. My thought is I would have it raised off the floor a few inches (Roomba height) and have very wide gaps in the shelf slats for airflow, it would be mostly open on the bottom so water and humidity would be unable to build up in there. I just expect to spill a little water now and then when I'm watering the plants.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cool, thanks for the tips everybody :tipshat:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Wallet posted:

I know people will have some other recommendations that are more suitable if you're willing to invest some time in learning something more fully featured, but if you want something extremely simple that just lets you figure out if things are going to fit together I really love TinkerCad. It's actually intended for 3d printing and laser cutting, I think, but it has the approximate complexity of MS Paint, it runs in a browser for free, and you can learn how to lay a simple project out in ten whole minutes.

Yo I finally got around to checking out the modeling recommendations and this is the one I liked best to just sanity check my simple project, thanks bigly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Some apartment woodworking progress: I dry fit my plant shelf frame together (went w cherry) and it's looking great. I used dowels for the joinery

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 5, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Idk man a grill press doesn't really have a good way to attach bits.

For real though depending on your application you could use a bit in a press easily but it might be easier to just get a hand deburrer depending on how the holes are oriented. Are they on a big flat plane?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Meow Meow Meow posted:

All done the media console I've been working on for some time. Cherry and walnut. The doors slide very nicely. The design is a near copy of a sideboard by Chris Gochnour that was featured in Fine Woodworking a few years back. I knew right away when I saw it a few years ago I wanted to make an interpretation of it, but the mitred dovetails, side hung drawers and the Barnsley mitre on the base felt a bit beyond my skills at the time. Well a few years later, here it is. I modified the base so it sits lower and of course added some marquetry. I should also note that the cove molding on the front edge was cut by hand using an old half-round plane.

Next up is a couple of speaker stands to match.

Incredible. You should be proud of yourself this rules so much

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I glued together this cherry rectangle and am trying to figure out how to attach it to top of my shelf/frame. Some online calculator said I can expect 1/4" maximum movement over the course of a year, does that sound like the right ballpark?

I've never attached a tabletop before and I see there's lots of designs but I really have no idea when one is appropriate over the other. Would doweling the center where it's moving the least be appropriate or do I need to make some sort of "floating" solution?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ColdPie posted:

This is going on the very top, on top of the rails and legs? If so, any of table top buttons, figure eight fasteners, or z-clips are fine. I do buttons because I think they're neat and scrap is always on hand and free.

Yeah it's the very top. Thanks I decided to use some slotted brackets. Somehow my googling didn't show me buttons but I'd have gone with those if I hadn't already glued the frame together, I just don't have a convenient way to cut any slots on an assembled shape.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Shortly after I finished that frame I posted above I finished a pair of speaker stands and got my basement media centre all set up.

gently caress yes looks great

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can really get a lot done with a pull saw, a power drill, some chisels, sandpaper, and most importantly of all, gumption

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

For anyone following along, I finally finished my plant case last night

PokeJoe posted:

Yo I finally got around to checking out the modeling recommendations and this is the one I liked best to just sanity check my simple project, thanks bigly

Turned out great! Glad I 3D modeled it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Leperflesh posted:

I forgot how loving long tung oil takes to cure, jfc I'm an idiot

this happens over and over, too

oh tung oil is the naturalest, bestest, I love the finish, this is perfect, I say to myself as I pry the stuck lid off the bottle with vise grips and read the instructions on the back that say to put on a coat and wait 12 hours and do another coat

then two days later I once again google it and am like oh yeah 3-4 weeks cure time gently caress me

lol and I get mad waiting 3 days to put poly over danish oil

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'll plug TinkerCAD, it's extremely simple, free, and good enough to sanity check simple designs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I pencil draw everything first but I don't use any drafting tools to do so :shrug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Skunkduster posted:

I see a couple potential problems with your design. The connection points where the dowel hooks to the lever are going to break or split if you use solid wood. Also, having the lever angled near the dowel seems like unnecessary extra work and a potential weak spot. Also, I don't see how it would lock into place with the wheels down. It looks to me like the wheels near the dowel would just close it right back up and drop the frame on the ground as soon as you take your foot off the dowel. If you are seriously interested in getting into woodworking, I guarantee you will learn a lot from making this project. If you just want a stand to hold your 3D printer, it would be worth analyzing the time/cost investment of building it from scratch vs. buying something that already does exactly what you need.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Mobile-Thickness-Planer-Stand-DW7350/203164088

lmfao this owns. let him build the complicated end table

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I started a desk of theseus :v:

lovely paper "veneer" keeps peeling up on the front of my keyboard tray and getting worse so I used a piece of scrap cherry to replace it. Took the opportunity to round the edge since the right angle of the particle board piece was always uncomfortable.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The junk collector posted:

Mixing sanding dust with glue to fill damage is a time honored tradition and works better than it has any right to.

yeah it's great and you almost certainly have all the ingredients already

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

woah tinkercad has physics simulation. lets try it out on my project

:hmmyes:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Brother how much spanking do you get up to??

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How do I find a willing spankee? Do you go to conventions and show off your exotic paddles?

pawg: wow look at that mahogany

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

NomNomNom posted:

One of my legs came out a bit wonky but look at the flame

For a second my dumb rear end thought that loving wax can was a 🤣 emoji Jesus Christmas

Wood looks good tho

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

screws, nails, staples, lead paint, etc

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that design would make a sick looking planter box too :v:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks kinda like wood left in the sun for a year, neato. My unfinished cedar bird feeder stand is slowly developing a nice gray bleached color

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Fellatio del Toro posted:

thanks all, for the kind feedback, struggling to resist the urge to detail everything wrong/that I hate about it

Nobody notices but you :ssh:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If you ask the creator of any object or piece of art they will start listing off it's flaws. It's because they made it and all the parts they're satisfied with have been pushed out of mind

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What I'm saying is I would sit on your cedar couch thing and have a great time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Danish oil or polyurethane or both

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You know, I never would have guessed that in a million years the woodworking thread on the something awful forums of all places would contribute to my degeneracy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Instagram says this is a broken link?

Worked for me, it's a simple cool router flush trim jig.

The gist is you out some tape on the base of the router and then glue a wood block to the tape. Set the router dept until it just cuts through the bottom of the block and you've got a flush trim guy

E: ^ lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sockington posted:

Yeah, I didn’t see that he didn’t screw it on at some point. I figured he was doing that to keep alignment first. That is a bit :magical:

lmfao me neither. don't make a jig held on w tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sells at a flea market?