Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Working on a "Tahitian Ukulele" or Tahitian Banjo. Working with hand tools as they're much cheaper and less noisy. But mostly much cheaper.

Progress thus far:

Immediate problems: Made of pine; most/all instruments are made of hardwoods. Laminated two pieces of pine together to resist warp, and inside the neck is a steel rod for reinforcement just like they use in electric guitars. Besides the strings, in Tahitian Uke tradition, are made of low, low tensioned fishing line so you've got about as much tension on the neck as an unreinforced classical guitar (using 6 nylon strings). Also the neck/headstock are really thick and are going to take forever to carve down to a usable size.

This is a great project to try out if you've graduated from making laminated cutting boards but aren't quite ready to start on large pieces of furniture. The body is essentially a large custom shaped cutting board with a conical hole cut through the middle and holes drilled for the tuners. A thin piece of circular wood makes the sound board. With 8 strings and the unique soundboard, you end up with something sounding like the bastard child of a banjo and mandolin. Sturdy enough for a six year old to play with (tune it to open G) if the wife doesn't like you making cork guns for the little ones.

But it's something to kill time. One major question though; how should I finish this? I'd like to finish it in a dark cherry stain with a matte finish if possible, but I'm not sure how to go about that. Koa wood acoustic guitars have this fantastic matte finish that I'd like to replicate, but more red.

Tahitian Ukes look something like this (not mine; sample picture):

Also I built a table! Out of lumber! The top is just three pine 2x12's screwed together with mending plates, screwed to two 2x6"s as crossbeams, which are in turn screwed to four legs purchased at the hardware store with some mending plates here and there for good measure. Finished in minwax "red mahogany". I didn't even bother to sand it; gives it a smooth, but textured finish so you know it is definitely wood. There's about a 1/4" of wobble if you get rough with it. I'm thinking about adding some L shaped metal shelving pieces as anti-wobble reinforcement. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU