Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I built a large laser cutter for my partner to cut synthetic fabric on, but also decided to have a go at using it for a bit of a craft project by making a step stool out of scrap plywood I had left over.

This is just a trial assembly with the parts pushed together but not glued, also missing two pieces that somehow came out undersized despite the entire process being computer controlled from design to manufacture... Even so I was able to stand on it which is a good start.

My entire garage reeks of burning wood now though so honestly I kinda regret making it! The laser has an extraction system but it doesn't go far enough outside currently so a lot of the smoke was blowing back in and the cut wood also stinks. I think the stool will be ok once I sand and finish it with some kind of polyurethane coating but the garage might take some time to air out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Didn't follow any plans, just designed it and made it myself (bought the bare motion hardware as a kit though) but I'm an engineer who has done some factory automation work in the past that involved building a large YAG laser welder so I'm pretty conscious about keeping my eyeballs intact.

It's fully enclosed with a safety switch on the door to enable the laser and a small window of acrylic rated to block the wavelength of laser I'm using plus I bought some proper safety glasses rather than using the random non-certified ones they include in the kit. I have some gas struts on the way to hold the door open but for now it's just getting propped open with a bit of aluminium extrusion lol.

Definitely need to be better with the fumes though, I have a 1HP dust extractor sucking air out through the laser bed but I need a longer exhaust hose to run outside so the smoke doesn't just blow straight back in through the door.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is that 1/2" plywood you cut with it? What's the feed/travel rate like? How wide of a cut/kerf does it burn?

It's 9mm plywood, so about 3/8"? Cutting at 8mm/sec and 80% power for 2 passes. Kerf is about 0.25 to 0.3mm.