Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Loving that this thread exists.

I live in Richmond, Va. and, for the life of me, I can't find any woodworking/carpentry classes other than at the WoodCraft store a few miles away. I was really hoping for something a little more comprehensive than a weekend thing on how to make a shaker table.

Oh well. On the bright side, it looks like I've just bought a house with a nice sized garage and workshop, so I'll have a place to put all the saws and tools my said I could have. I guess I'll be learning by doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Here's a dumb thing I did that I'm proud of. One of my best friends got married this weekend and he and I are both huge Star Trek fans, so for a wedding gift I made him a bat'leth—not just any bat'leth, but the Sword of Kahless. I printed out a reference picture with dimensions, freehanded one half of it on a sheet of OSB, cut it out with a jigsaw then traced both halves into a symmetrical whole and jigged out that one. I had intended to use some nicer wood, but time caught up to me and I ended up settling for some 1/2 inch plywood. It actually ended up looking pretty good once I stained it.

:hehe: "Hey, did anyone spoil your wedding gift yet?"

:haw: "No, considering I don't have any idea what it is!"

:hehe: "Excellent."

:haw: "Should I be worried?"

:hehe: "Only about where you're going to display it!"

:haw: "Ugh..."

Here it is on the day of the gifting in the trunk of another friend's car as we prepare to take it to the groom before the wedding with my pocketknife for perspective. I got the leather strips from Michael's the night before. If I remember right it's within one inch of scale, but I ended up taking a couple of liberties with the design. I had also wanted to do carvings, but, again, I ran out of time.

He told me I've set a new standard for gift giving. His wife is not a Trek fan. At all.

edit: Now that I've got a pattern I'm planning to make another one... and maybe a matching set of mek'leth.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 25, 2013