Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
A cigar humidor I built. It's made of red oak with the inside lined in spanish cedar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

TheChipmunk posted:

:words:

Having built my own desk I'll give you some help.

I highly suggest you build the top out of that oak glued and screwed to a 3/4" piece of MDF. It makes the desk much stronger and rigid. It would also give you more surface for the mortise.

The key with making the mortise and tenon is to try to make it a slight interference fit so take off a little at a time. It's going to be difficult with those tools to make a really tight fitting mortise and tenon though.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

wormil posted:

You should be careful joining a manufactured product to a natural wood. Real wood will move with changes in humidity. Eventually the real wood will split if your design doesn't allow natural movement. If designed and built properly even a 3/4" top will be plenty sturdy.

That's a good point. However, I've never had a problem with my desk for the 2 years since I built it. Maybe because it's got a several thick coats of polyurethane on the plywood (birch plywood in my case) or that it has always been in an air conditioned house.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

TheChimney posted:

What is the bare minimum required to start this hobby? I am a poor student. Or is this one of those things that you shouldn't bother with unless you have a decent chunk of change?

I would wait if I were you till you have more to spend. The tools are one thing, but the materials are another. All these things add up quick.