Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

ChaoticSeven posted:

I need to learn how to sharpen chisels, too.

Watch this for a primer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

ChaoticSeven posted:

Zero clearance insert for the new saw. Also, I have to remake all my jigs because the miter slots are slightly different on this one. I started with the cross cut sled.

This looks cool, but aren't you concerned that the wood shrinks / swell over time and make it not flush to the table?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

ChaoticSeven posted:

Not too much, both sides are exposed to open air and its pretty low in moisture content, so it shouldn't do too much crazy twisting or warping. If it does swell slightly in thickness my workpiece would bump into it before even reaching the blade. I put the leveling screws in and made it thinner than it needed to be in case that happens.

I'm so trying this then. Not only does my cheapish table saw doesn't have zero clearance inserts, but the stock insert have an awfully large.. like they all do, I guess.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

2) Dovetails: Is there an easy way to cut these by hand?

It's pretty straight forward, I've done it a few time and I have no particular talent.

Here's an example, you will see the tools needed:
http://woodtreks.com/how-to-hand-cut-precision-dovetails-%E2%80%94-part-one-the-pins/75/
http://woodtreks.com/how-to-hand-cut-precision-dovetails-the-tails-part-2-of-2/77/

The technique vary from people to people but that should get you going.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Man you did an awesome job, I'm very impressed and totally didn't expect that result.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Drive screws. They don't actually screw back out, and don't have a slot to use a screwdriver on if they did. Trying to file a slot doesn't work, they just split apart at the head. Filing the head off is almost impossible without nicking the tags up.

Couldn't you have drilled it out?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I'm using a laminate counter top to make a desk. I'm covering a 9' 1/2 span room, the desk is connected to the wall (e.g. supported) on 3 sides except the front. The 'counter top' is 30" deep. I don't want legs if I can help it so I would like to support it through any other mean possible.

Anyone did something similar? How would you do it?

Edit: I'm thinking of laminating the thinest plywood possible (since it don't come in 10'+ length) to make it long enough and using that as support.

I could add angled pieces of plywood that connects to the wall, perhaps?

Something sturdy would be nice.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I don't know what thickness of bar I would need for it to be sturdy enough throughout the 9 feet ish span but it might be too expensive for me. What about gluing a T steel bar in a notch routed underneath the front of the counter top?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

wormil posted:

I did this in an office and used big-rear end L brackets I found at a hardware store. They are a lot stronger than they look but get the big ones. The one pictured below is about 12x13 inches. The important thing is to anchor it solidly to the wall.

Thanks! I figured someone in here would have experience doing something similar, so you didn't put any thing underneath the counter top (no plywood or anything)? You drilled that bracket right into it?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I'd say it's about the look more than anything, and I can't find table legs in a price range and look that I like.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

How are you going to fill that gap in the back, where the slot continues?

I'd make an overlap joint with the wood from the horizontal piece sticking out. That joint wont be the most bothersome, it's those two angled tenons that I'd be concerned about.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

hayden. posted:

or is wood not rigid enough to be as accurate as needed?

Matthias Wandel think its plenty rigid and accurate enough to build a complete bandsaw out of it [wood]. I don't think a fence would be problematic.

I'll be making one for my cheap table saw and see how it turns out. Can't be worse than the POS that came with it.

My biggest problem with my table saw is that the blade does not track perfectly straight. I've been using it delicately. It gauges and burn the work pieces very bad because of that. It's really only designed for rough sawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Straight relative to the slides, or straight relative to the fence?

I'm talking about wobbles, I suspect that the bearings are not perfect, or that the shaft going through the motor has a slight kink. It was a cheap saw after all.