Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
I've read most of this thread, but it's long so forgive me if any of my questions have already been answered.

My project is to build essentially an heirloom-quality kitchen island (its actually a fraternity altar, but the sizing is about the same).

My questions:

What would be the best wood to use for this project? I'd prefer not to go with a veneer, but just a simple hardwood. But I want this to overall outlive me personally.

What hardware (locks, cabinetry stuff) is typically good for long-term projects?

Finally the cabinet is going to be on industrial casters for movement and will need some very sturdy handles to be able to move from our house's first floor to the second and back once or twice per year. For purely aesthetic reasons, I'm almost thinking I'd kind of like to do somethig in the style of Indiana Jones' Ark of the Covenent tube-handles, but I don't know what those are called, so I can't seem to find anything about how to make them or buy them.

Some help, sil vous plaite?

(P.S. If it matters for moisture and stuff, this will ALWAYS be inside, but we live in Maine for whatever that matters in terms of moisture and climate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU