Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006
Oh... I'm evil to the core!

ChaoticSeven posted:

awesome dovetail box

Hey ChaoticSeven,

Been trying to figure out gifts for a few people this year and I just saw that box and was wondering if you had plans for it or just made it on a whim. Any advice on making that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006
I'm looking to start making some gifts for the holidays and was wondering what would be the best way to create a spiral in a block of wood (4"x8"). The cut would be around 1/4" deep and I'm looking to put some stone in it as an inlay. If possible I'd like it to be a pretty tight spiral that has ~2.5" diameter. Have a pretty complete workshop, would the easiest way be to create a jig and attach a piece of string to a screw in the middle and use a router?

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006

wormil posted:

You mean like this:
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/29458

Or more barley twist?

I was thinking more of a 2D spiral cut. Something that could be cut into a blank and filled in and polished (using azurite & malachite)