Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The best strength/weight for doing this out of wood is probably 1/2" plywood. If you have access to a table saw or circular saw and know how to use them safely, you can rip 2" strips of 1/2" ply and screw them together into an L or T shape to make 'boards' with triangular gussets in the corners and make an extremely strong construction.

An easier but slightly heavier and bulkier option is to use 2x2 or 2x4 (or probably 1x4 if you're picky to avoid knots) lumber with triangular plywood braces on the corners like Wizard of Goatse suggested. 1/2" or 3/8" plywood glued and screwed should be more than sufficient. Even very thin plywood is very stiff against forces parallel to the face of the sheet and that's what you need. You can also make those brackets out of a 1x6 or 1x4 or somethin if that's easier to handle, you just want to make sure the grain is running parallel to the hypotenuse of the triangle like this (but on the underside):

And be sure to pre-drill pilot holes for the screws as they will be near the end of the board and likely to split. Also definitely use glue. Any wood glue or carpenter's glue or even elmer's white glue is fine, but in a perfect world Titebond II or Titebond III would be best as they have good water resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

hobbez posted:

Finishing a maple dining room table we’ve stripped and sanded tomorrow.

Local hardware store just has Minwax. Planning to use an oil based wipe on poly. Is minwax a reasonable choice for the finish, as far as quality goes? Would hate to put in all this work and not be happy with the finish because we used a low quality poly
Minwax is in general not great but wipe-on poly is pretty dead simple and I've had fine results with their wipe on poly. You're not gonna get a thick film with wipe-on anyway and ease of application and drying/levelling correctly when a thick coat is applied is where good quality poly is superior to something like Minwax.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Skunkduster posted:

I see a lot of the woodworking channels using monocoat rubio as the end all for wood finish. Is that all youtube hype, or is it like Festool where it is good, but you are going to pay a lot for it?
Disclaimer: I haven’t used Monocoat

I have read a lot about it tho, and from everything I can tell it’s basically a hard wax oil like Osmo or many others, but with a hardener/drying agent and a lot of color choices.https://declare.living-future.org/products/rubio-monocoat-oil-plus-2c Boiled Linseed oil and some waxes.

The main difference between monocoat and others seems to be the addition of a 2nd component that’s a catalyst to speed drying. You could probably use something like Japan drier with any other hard wax oil and get a similar effect if you need fast drying? Their colors also seem to be pretty good and varied which probably makes a lot of people happy since amateur woodworkers are largely terrified of stain. I assume their colors also act more like a gel stain which is going to give a really uniform result (at the cost of some clarity) vs either a dye or pigment stain.

I’ve been very happy with Osmo’s polyx oil. It dries overnight IME and is pretty water resistant and has a similar matte ‘nothing on the wood’ look and feel which I think is another thing people like about monocoat. It’s also not cheap, but it’s pretty user friendly and idiot proof with no mixing of catalysts required. Other places make hardwax oils too. I got some Briwax hard wax oil which I haven’t tried yet but it was considerably cheaper than Osmo.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 15, 2024

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just Winging It posted:

(The other aspect is trying to do things with stain that just can't be done. Pine or plywood just doesn't have the structure or porosity to imitate walnut or mahogany, no matter how much you slather on it.)
Challenge accepted.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There are a few exceptions to this, but in general my rule of thumb is don't buy machinery (lots of cast iron, not portable, has a big induction motor on it-cabinet saws, jointers, planers over 13," bandsaws, drill presses) from a power tool (portable, plastic and aluminum, some kind of universal motor-circ saws, routers, power drills etc.) brand. Delta is one of those brands trying to do both and I don't think it's workin great for them.

My Spirit Otter posted:

out of curiosity, i know old delta shop tools are second to none, but i havent heard anything about delta beyond the 90s. they still have that reputation?
They are in the same tier as Ridgid imo, but very little is sold under the Delta brand anymore. The brand was bought in 2011 by a Taiwanese manufacturer that manufactures stuff for TTI, DeWalt, Ryobi, etc, and if you look at the few things sold under the Delta name, they are pretty identical to something from one of those brands just in black/grey and blue. They revamped the Unisaw a few years ago but they are at the same price point as a Sawstop so I can't imagine they sell many of them.

Old Delta stuff is a huge range of quality. Before Rockwell sold the brand in the 80s it was good quality high-end hobbyist/low-end professional stuff, and mostly stayed pretty good and largely made domestically. After Black and Decker bought them in the early 2000s it became alot more of a Taiwan-import brand that still traded on the old name and faded out almost all domestic manufacturing like Jet, Powermatic, General, Oliver, etc. but mostly still made decent machinery. Unisaws I think have always been (still are?) made in the US. I had a made in Taiwan delta jointer and it was great till it fell off a forklift. There was some really great heavy industrial stuff in the 80s/90s sold under the Rockwell and later Delta names manufactured by Invicta in Brazil that has a good reputation on the used market.

Leperflesh posted:

I think if you are shopping on a budget, you might slightly prefer Grizzly or Rikon for very similar quality at perhaps a bit less money, and goons have generally had good things to say about those brands in here too. I have a Rikon 14" bandsaw that I'm happy with. But similarly in the Delta bracket of quality are outfits like Wen, Jet, SCM, and Laguna.

e. I forgot to mention Powermatic, they're a fine quality brand too.
Jet, Laguna, Powermatic are all about the same pretty decent Taiwanese imports (Jet/Powermatic are the same company) but SCM (unless theres a SCM that isn't the Italian one) is light years above and WEN is like harbor freight quality ime. Probably mostly okay and great for the price, but keep your expectations low.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

How much do you disagree with https://www.woodsmith.com/review/best-band-saw/? There are three WENs on their list, and that's why I included them, but I have no personal experience with those. They also recommend the Delta 28-400.

Reviews generally seem to be quite good for the Laguna 1412 series bandsaw, too. People like the ceramic guides even though they're expensive to replace.

Despite being from Woodsmith which is a mediocre but real woodworking magazine, that looks like every AI-generated 'review' article ever and two of those three WEN bandsaws are portabands for metal, and in the same article it list 'heavy' as a con for a stationary bandsaw which is the opposite of a con for me, so I guess I'd disagree with it totally? I don't have much personal hands on WEN experience but a buddy of mine has gotten a few of their things for small projects over the years and the Harbor Freight comparison was his.

And Laguna definitely brings in good bandsaws! That's what they made their name on.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sockser posted:

I just managed to completely stall out my jointer
It’s a late 80s/early 90s delta with an aluminum fence that I got for $50 and it’s always been pretty sketch, but that’s the final straw. Backing the wood off to let the motor spin back up was not a super safe or great feeling experience.

Are there any decent 6/8” jointers that I can buy new relatively cheap or do I need to really hunker down and do daily craigslist scans?
Post pics of the current jointer.

Have you checked the belt tension/condition? Are the knives sharp? Sounds to me more like a slipping belt than a stalled motor unless you were taking a really heavy cut and the knives are dull. Also next time don't back the wood off, just lift it up against the fence.

Otherwise, all the things listed above-Grizzly, Jet, Laguna, Rikon, Ridgid (I think makes/used to make a jointer) etc. or used.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sockser posted:

Knives are definitely sharp, replaced fairly recently

Belt slipping I'd believe, it does have a faint air of burnt rubber whenever I'm running things through it
Yeah that definitely sounds like a slipping belt. Tighten it up by moving the motor mount and spray it with some belt dressing (and possibly replace it) and see if that helps.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

more falafel please posted:

Any tips for making templates? I'm making a plant stand with legs roughly shaped like this (I've tweaked some of the actual dimensions to look less dumb since I did the sketchup drawing, but the overall shape is the same):

I've got the leg blanks, with joinery to the cross-pieces already cut, so all that I have left to do other than glueup, sanding, finishing, etc is to cut the legs to their final shape. I figured I would first make a template, then cut the rough shape of the legs on my little 10" bandsaw, then use a flush trim bit/pattern bit to get the legs to final shape. My plan to make the template was to rough cut it out of 1/4" MDF on the bandsaw and then trim it down to the lines on the belt/spindle sander, but that didn't go particularly well. I was struggling to keep the lines straight, and ended up making the surface that has the joinery for the crosspieces too small, which is the only part that's actually critical to get right.

Since the template is all straight lines, my next thought is to make a series of jigs to position the piece of MDF to cut each of the lines on the table saw. There's still the interior corner to worry about, but I could get close and then clean up just that part with chisels/rasps/sanding. Does that seem like it makes sense?

As I'm typing this I'm realizing the jig I need is basically a straight-line rip/tapering jig, so maybe it's time to make one of those for real.

I use rasps, planes, and cheap, coarse harbor freight files a lot for patterns. I usually use half inch plywood because MDF is pretty hard on hand tools, but you can always sharpen hand tools, not a big deal. I prefer 1/2” stuff because it’s alot more meat for the bearing to ride on and is much stiffer and takes less fastening to the workpiece. You’re right that with the exception of a stationary disk/belt sander or sandpaper stuck to a block, sanding is almost never a good way to get a straight, precise line. I would probably do about what your describing-get as much as you can out of the machines (the straight lines) and then clean everything else up (inside curves) by hand with files and rasps. It’s really worth spending time to get the pattern just right.

I would probably bandsaw those outside lines and get them straight on the jointer-exactly how you do that is gonna depend on your equipment. Table straight-line jig, bandsaw and handplane, router running against a fence are all just different ways to get where you want to go. You might want to look into making an L fence for your tablesaw (basically a fence that sits just above the blade). They are really handy for safely kinda free handing stuff on the tablesaw.

Whiteside’s 1/2” spiral flush trim bits are really amazing. Not cheap but they make pattern work a ton easier because they largely ignore grain.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Making that template is a good example of where a tracksaw would shine, line the track up and plunge right up into the corners and cut the tapers.

Here's a couple of recent projects, the first is a pair of jewelry boxes. The one on the left is ash burl with walnut edging. The one on the right has a spalted beech body, pepperwood burl top and maple edging. The blue fabric is deerskin and the red is pig suede.

Also a pair of white oak frame for some block print art.

These look great. Did you fume the white oak frames? They have a nice a color.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I am making a dice tower for my nephew, and I want to make it look like a castle.

I planned on getting some dowels and putting some towers on the 4 corners, nothing major, but I can't think of a safe way to cut out a notch into the dowels. Right now my thoughts are going to a table saw, leaving them long and then trimming them up, but then I wouldn't have a nice clean edge. Router seems like a terrible idea.

Any ideas?
You could make the notches on square stock then make it into a dowel with roundover bits in a router table/hand planes/lathe. Or make a jig to hold the dowel so you can feed it into a router table or table saw, or even use a router running on top against a fence. I'm envisioning like two pieces of wood with each with a groove the width of the dowel but very slightly shy of half the depth so if you screw the two boards together with the dowel in the groove they clamp it securely.

Otherwise, vise and chisel or redesign the turrets to not be round lol.

e:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have some birch plywood here with an edge that shows a bit of the dark layer immediately underneath. It's just on the edge in a few thin lines. Yes, I sanded too much. Is there anything I can do to lighten that up or color over it? I know about staining markers and the like for dark colors, but this plywood is really light in color and we want to use a clear wipe-on poly. Wood putty isn't really doing the job since it has to be laid so thin that I still see it.
So did you sand thru the face veneer or are there dark spots on the exposed edges of the plywood? If the latter, it may just be darker areas of the wood or knots. China/vietnam birch often has some dark veneers for some reason. If you sanded thru the face veneer, that is really one of the hardest things to fix. You could inlay a patch like suggested above, but there's a pretty good chance the veneer all around there is also sanded very thin, so when you try to sand the patch flush you sand thru more veneer etc etc etc. If its' very close to the edge, you could rip off a bit of the edge and glue on some edge banding to make up the width, but again you run the risk of sanding thru more veneer.

The least bad way to repair it is to touch it up. You have to use a pigmented product to make things lighter-dyes (like touch up markers) can only make things darker. These are the standard professionally-just very finely ground dry pigments that you mix with shellac or really anything to make a touch up paint, but you can use literally any opaque paint. A paint pen works, acrylic paint, latex paint, whatever. You want to use very thin layers (so you may need to thin the paint out with the appropriate solvent) so you don't see the thickness of the paint under the finish. You can touch up 90% of woods with white, black, burnt and raw sienna and burnt and raw umber mixed correctly. For birch, if you can find a tan sorta color that would be better to start from than white. It's almost always better with touchup to go too dark rather than too light, and less is usually more. You're not trying to make the sand-thru disappear, you're trying to make it not jump out. Make some samples out of scraps to practice on and test compatibility with your top coat. There shouldn't be an issue there if you let the paint fully dry and keep it thin, but to be safe you can lightly scuff sand the paint with 220 or 320, put a very thin coat of dewaxed shellac over it, lightly scuff that when dry, then proceed with the wipe-on poly.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 24, 2024

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Just to be certain then: would a water-based polyurethane serve as a base into which I could mix up that stuff? I'm planning to try this out and would be happy if it mixes with what I intend to apply as a finish anyways.
Yes it will mix- they are literally just powder. You can put the first coat of finish on and then do the touch up so you have a little better idea what the finished color is. The 'Blonde' they sell is usually pretty decent for birch, but you might want to get some of the antique white if you need to lighten it up a little. A little bit of the powder goes a long way. One little oz jar is like a lifetime supply.

This guy is a treasure in person and goofy on youtube, but he does some touch up stuff with powders around the 9:00 mark in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp87We2E-44

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The real magic happens when you add dye over those. You can get it too light with the powders, seal them down with a thin coat of finish, then use a touch up marker over the top to tweak the color more. They are also very useful for tweaking pigment stains.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They’re not cheap (tho usually comparable to or cheaper than a lie-nielsen/Veritas) but EC Emmerich planes are awesome. Beech bodies with hornbeam or lignim vitae soles for wear resistance and either a wooden wedge which fits great or some have a metal screw adjusting mechanism that also works well. I have a big jointer or try plane or something of theirs with just a wedge and its not difficult to adjust, stays super sharp, and is a pleasure to use. Waxed wooden planes just fly along the wood.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just Winging It posted:

I didn't know Bridge City sponsored youtubers, those guys don't seem to touch anything that doesn't come in a systainer or requires physical effort lmao

*shocked YouTube face behind ‘THROW AWAY YOUR SHOOTING BOARD AFTER YOU SEE THIS’*
Video content: Felder/Hammer gave me this sliding table saw to try out, now I don’t need a shooting board!

There is a ton of manual skill in woodworking, and especially hand tool woodworking, that really can only be gained by time on the tools. I think the appeal of fancy tools is that they’ll let you skip that, but they won’t. Someone with 20 years experience can use a bad chisel more effectively than someone with little experience can use a good one. They’ll also know the difference between a bad chisel and a good one, and be able to turn a bad one into a good one.

That being said, if you’re teaching yourself from books or YouTube or whatever, buying a known good tool can be super helpful to know what the tool should feel like and how it should work when it’s working well. This has come up itt before and it never occurred to me as a problem, but most people doing woodworking at home are self taught, and even the best video can’t show you what a well set-up plane or properly ground skew should feel like. Being able to have someone who knows what they’re doing hand you a tool that is set up so you can get your eBay plane to feel like that one, or better yet someone looks at your eBay plane and says ‘oh yeah that’s sharp but you’ve got the chip breaker waaaay too far back and that’s causing all your problems’ is really huge. I’ve never taken a woodworking class, but it seems like that kind of stuff would be as useful as whatever the class was actually nominally about.

Anyway THE BEST PLANE that everyone should have is a good metal block plane. If I grab a plane (which isn’t as often as I’d like) it’s probably that one. It’s weird because they are kinda esoteric but my hollows and rounds are probably the 2nd most common planes I use. I don’t do a ton of hand plane work because I have machines and sandpaper for that but hollows and rounds solve a lot of problems in my work that aren’t easily, quickly, or cheaply solved any other other way.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Y’all be nice to each other please. Post about your favorite posts, not poster.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m rather fond of a stop chamfered post with a nice lambs tongue

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It's really hard to beat euro hinges for ease of installation, adjustability, etc. especially on shop cabinets or kitchen cabinets.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

Dumb question but can you use euro hinges with face framed cabinets?
Yes, there's two ways to do it. To use a standard hinge/mounting plate, put a block on the inside wall of the cabinet behind the faceframe flush with the edge of the face frame so the hinge is basically in the same position relative to the door as it would be for a frameless cabinet. They make some mounting plates that go on the back/side of the face frame that a standard hinge will clip into, or they make specific hinges that mount to either the side or back of the faceframe.

There is fr a euro hinge for basically every application you can conceive of.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

Not immediately relevant to my project, but good to know thanks.

I'm working on a tool cabinet to house all my hand tools!

So many dovetails...
Is that one of those adjustable height Husky workbenches? And if so, how easily does the height adjust, especially if it has some weight on it?

Tool cabinet is looking nice too!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

deimos posted:

If you want to know the variety of euro hinges look up the Blum concealed hinge brochure. It's 100 pages. drat near all of them are hinges and opening/closing systems, the rest are jigs and tools. Sugatsune also has a shitload of hinge variety.
Yeah the entire blum catalog of drawer slides + hinges is a fuckin doorstop.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

deimos posted:

I think the video works as a generic "cheap plane" review. That is to say, fine to buy if you have the knowledge and time to fix it available (yourself or someone with experience). The only expensive planes I would never use are the harvey tools one (bridge city), they are just... Anti-ergonomic.
Yeah they don’t seem to be at a great price point. For $75 just get a Veritas, and if you figure on replacing the unknown-steel iron with a $50 replacement then, welp now you’re $20 away from a Veritas.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dang that's a great idea. It would help contain the mess of spilled coffee ground that winds up on my counter every time I fill mine up too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

meatpimp posted:

Is that enough to keep a 1x10 from bowing?
Probably. That's what holds down the roof deck on every house in the country. But if you want the extra security of screws, the 1 5/8" deck screws of your choice should be more than sufficient. Drive them with a drill instead of an impact driver if you want them to really suck the board down flat and they are soft wood. Impact wrench tends to just squish the screw into the top board (and even through the board) more than it sucks it down. Pilot hole and countersink if you really wanna get fancy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Metal handle on an ice saw just seems cruel too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have often said that bandsaws are the safest powered saws and had safely used one daily for almost 15 years without incident but yesterday I stuck my finger in the blade. Could have been much worse, just a little 1/4" deep slice from the middle of my nail to the tip of my finger (thankfully not thru to the bottom of my finger) and it honestly is less painful than some splinters I've gotten but it's gonna take a bit longer to heal. Like every machine-related injury I've ever gotten, it happened at the end of a long sweaty day after 5 when I wanted to 'just finish this one thing'. I'm not 100% sure what I did. It was right after I finished a cut, and I must have swiped my right hand too close to the blade as I was moving my hand back to reset and cut the next board. Painful reminder to slow down, take your time, cool off, it can wait until you're fresh in the morning.

On the up side, stayin off machines for a few days will make me finally figure out how to inlay on the CNC.

Minor gore pic for the curious sickos that want to see:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

did/do they use creosote beams in mines?
I doubt it. In older books about wood uses etc. a lot of lower value hardwoods get called out as being useful for mine timbers, so it seems like cost was more of a concern than longevity. I know a lot of times the center cant of a log with the pith in it would be used for railroad ties or mine timbers. It’s counterintuitive what species are preferred for ties-usually rot resistant species don’t take treatment well (because a big part of why they are rot resistant is that they often don’t absorb water well for one reason or another) so they usually prefer very rot-prone species. I know railroad ties is one of the few uses for otherwise hard to use sweetgum logs.

My old boss had some walnut RR tie stock he had gotten somewhere before it was creosoted and the quality wasn’t great but you could get some heavy but short stock out of it.

E: from a 1928 publication on mine Timbers in Michigan iron mines. I hadn’t considered the increased fire hazard.

quote:

Treatment with preservatives has long been used to increase the life of woods. Either creosote or zinc chloride will lengthen the life of a piece of timber provided that the impregnation is properly clone. Each of these preservatives has its faults, however. Creosote increases the fire hazard, which at best is ever present, causes excessive wear and tear of clothes of the men who handle the timber, and emits offensive odors— which are accentuated in the limited underground air spaces.
https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pr...ecba43c5c4c93d7

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 5, 2024

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

tracecomplete posted:

Hard to use? What do you mean--just not commercially popular? 'Cause I think sweetgum looks rad and wish I could get some up here (but New England is far from sweetgum territory).
It’s very difficult to dry without warping, has an interlocked grain, moves a lot in service. I used it once on some cabinets and was a nightmare to keep anything straight or flat. It and pecan are my top two ‘never again’ woods. In both cases I think I may have not had well-dried stuff, but it was enough to scare me off. Heart gum can be very pretty and I’ve used it as veneer and not had any problems with it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

But (as he puts it) bicycles have benefited also from better materials, better machined parts, better bearings, etc. In 1910 you couldn't gear shift your bikes, e.g. We now have multiple kinds of brakes and handlebar configurations and wheel designs for different uses and contexts. Human-powered tools stopped getting this kind of attention, so we don't know what kinds of doors we could yet open. It's a compelling question on the boundary of the known unknown and the unknown unknown.

Maybe if I get better at building stuff some day I'll try to make a bicycle-powered sawmill that moves something like 1/2 inch lengthwise per 4 full rotations of the blade. It might take an hour per cut, but think of the youtube hits it would get!
I think Veritas does try to innovate. Alot of their tools have some small changes and innovations to tradition designs. I don't have experience with any of the fancy toolmakers like Bridge City, but I think they do too. However, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that hand tool woodworkers are a fairly traditional bunch who want ye olde steel and cast iron and brass and rosewood planes and not carbon fiber, tungsten carbide, aluminum and fiberglass planes (carbon fiber plane sole/body with replaceable and indexable carbide insert cutter would be kinda cool tbh.) I think there's a bit of the innovation you're looking for with turning tools, especially aluminum handled carbide insert stuff.

I think the issue remains that these are largely solved problems. The design of planes evolved over the 19th and early 20th centuries, a time when tens of millions of men were actually using those tools daily for billions of man-hours, into a few basic forms that work pretty darn well. That's not to say there isn't more work that can be done, but like a whole lot has been done already.

e:

Suntan Boy posted:

Turns out, yeah, that's pretty much what you do:

https://youtu.be/jWn0hT_6GiA?si=WMY-bN5eyGHzQqKU

Early industry had sawmills powered by waterwheels in some places, so I guess it's not that much of a stretch to hook the same mechanism up to a bike or human-sized hamster wheel.
Kinda cool he made a frame saw which is what most early sawmills were.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 5, 2024

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Grumio posted:

Just today I saw an article about some new planes with disposable blades, which was new to me: https://tersaknives.com/collections/rali-hand-planes

And as you say, this is innovation in the space but liable to be scoffed at by the hand tool woodworking crowd
That's kinda cool. I have Tersa knives in my big planer and they are amazing (can change all 4 24" knives in like 5 minutes). It would be neat if they used the same knives so I could cut old planer knives to length but it looks like they use their own thing. Depth adjustment with an eccentric cam is a neat idea too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Well, looks like I have another project now: 3D printer enclosure. The large grow tent I bought for it is just a little bit too small (it's a larger-than-usual printer), and I have a feeling all the other enclosures on Amazon come out of the same factory in China and I'll run into the same problem.

If I wanted to make a simple box out of 3/4" plywood panels, what would be the easiest way to join the sides? Appearance doesn't really matter as it'll be under my standing desk and largely out of sight. The enclosure is meant to get up to around 45-50C internally at max, so should be able to cope with that differential.
The world has moved onto screws, but nails still work great and they are cheap, fast and easy. A handful of 4d box nails and a hammer will get it done in 10 minutes no problem.

If you want to get fancier and are properly equipped, screws (pocket hole or thru-screwed butt joints which are quicker and arguably stronger) are arguably better, staples are faster and stronger. Or machine screws and threaded inserts. Or 3D print some corner brackets you can screw the panel together with to make it all knock down, idk. Pretty much any metal fastener. Add glue to any of the above if desired, but its not necessary and that's around the temp where normal PVA wood glue starts to lose strength anyway.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I switch my brain to metric when I use my domino and it is a ton easier and I will likely build metric, 32mm kitchen cabinets for my kitchen soon. I've just figured out how to switch the DRO on my planer back and forth from decimal inches (decimal inches being their own headache vs fractional...) to mm and it's not hard to do but it takes probably 6 minutes and not something I'd want to do every day so I've been thinking of switching everything to metric.

The main downsides that occur off the bat are:
-All my router bits/drill bits are imperial
-Harder to source metric tooling for the above (tho definitely not impossible)
-I do some larger work, and 3124mm seems harder to remember than 10' 3"
-After 35 years of existing in Imperial my brain has a pretty darn good idea what and eight, quarter, half etc inch looks like, and retraining it to think that as 12mm or whatever instead might be hard. I can instantly 'see 2', I can't instantly look at something and say that's 600mm.

And the upsides:
-Math way easier, dividing 3124mm by three is alot easier than dividing 10' 3" by three
-making cutlist spreadsheets in excel much easier
-never trying to round 1/32nds up or down
-Probably fewer mistakes, eventually

Woodworking goons that live in countries where Imperial feet/inches are the norm: have you switched your woodworking to metric? or thought about switching your shop to metric? If so, what weird little frustrating things have you run into as far as most supplies/tooling etc. being nominally imperial?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

Interesting question for you as a production guy, but also I had to lol at your probably unintentional choice of example here:

Feet and inches are explicitly way more friendly to division by three in particular! This one divides evenly in imperial: three feet, plus one third of a foot is four inches, plus one third of 3" is one inch, so that's three feet five inches exactly. Whereas you get one meter and then 124/3 is... uhhh... 41 point 33333? right? it's not even a whole number. Do you like fractional millimeters?

One more thing you didn't mention is buying stock in board-feet if you are gonna convert to metric
You're right that isn't the best example, hah. Now try dividing them by 7 instead of 3. I guess the biggest thing is that I can do easy math with any random calculator (or excel) with 338mm, whereas 13 5/16" either requires a special calculator/app or some conversions first. The nice part about mm is they are a small enough unit that I'm happy rounding up or down to the nearest mm or to .5mm.

The big frustration is that my planer is metric and moves in .1mm increments. That's about .004" which is pretty tiny, but enough to notice. But the frustrating thing about it displaying in imperial is that it is still working in .1mm increments and then converting them, so it reads either .248" or .252" but will never read .250" That's not usually a big deal, but it can be frustrating if I'm trying to match a part to a batch I already ran. The cut list says 2.25", but did I do 2.248" or 2.252"? And the minimum cut it can take is ~.02", so I can't just take another pass when I feel the paper-thickness difference. I often write the actual DRO dimension I milled to either on the cutlist or on the stock itself, which works great (when I remember to do it), but it would be alot easier to write 6mm on the cutlist and know that it was milled to 6.0mm. Add on to that, having to convert from fractional inches to the decimal inches the DRO displays in is another potential source of error. I have a chart taped above the DRO but it has still tripped me up sometimes. And most plywood I use is imported which is usually actually metric thickness etc etc.

I hadn't thought about buying in board feet and that's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. An advantage of making cutlists in mm is that I should easily be able to calculate total volume of parts and then have it spit out a volume in cubic meters or w/e and convert that to BF. Alternatively, keep doing it the way I do know which is print a drawing in imperial and do a take off on that because excel does not handle fractional numbers well (or at least I'm too dumb to make it). I usually see a table is 32" x 90" and round up to call it 3'x8' or 24 bf anyway instead of (32*90)/144=20 BF.

e:

Sockser posted:

Wait, actually, how is lumber sold in metric countries? board-meter?
Cubic meters. Board foot is a volume measurement when you think about it. A cubic meter is ~424 bf. That again is honestly easier, simple LxWxT measurement and move the decimal place without having to do it all in inches and then divide by 144 or do it in feet and divide by 12. Might save some money too since in the US at least they usually round up on width to the nearest inch.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 10, 2024

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

I find that if I'm trying to deal with wood in measurements of less than like 1/32" I've gone horribly wrong because wood does not like to remain within that sort of tolerance, and also I use a lot of hand tools and lol at trying to hit that with them either. I'm usually taking some measurement and transferring it rather than dividing it by seven or something. And I usually go over whatever amount I am looking at with buying stock by some large margin of error, because of split ends on the stock or uncertain kerf widths or just to account for my general jackassery cutting things wrong.

I don't run a production shop though. Efficiency matters a lot for you, I expect.
Before I had a machine with a reliable DRO I never got more precise than a 32nd, maybe occasionally I would get out some calipers to really creep up on something, but generally trim/plane, test fit, repeat was how I did everything. The great part about a reliable DRO is that I can make repeatable stuff to a drawing and make an identical new one down the line when i inevitably screw up. I've found generally if I machine parts within a day or three of each other to the same measurement, they are close enough. When buying lumber I do definitely overbuy. I usually figure the board footage of the actual parts and then add 20-30% (less for species with good yield like mahogany, red oak, poplar, more for stuff with terrible yield like walnut) as waste/cull and usually wind up with a board or two left over.

I used to do a drawing with basic overall dimensions and then work off 'as built' measurements (or often direct transfers) as I got down to details like tenon placement, building drawers/doors, etc. Since adding a sliding table saw with very accurate stops/fence (and probably eventually adding a DRO to that as well) and getting alot better at CAD, I've really transitioned to building things truly as drawn and it's made my shop time alot more efficient at the expense of more computer time. I realize I'm probably in the minority in wanting to spend more time touching my computer and less time in the shop, lol. It's also been pretty cool to be able to build drawers/doors and cases concurrently and have them all (mostly) fit, whereas I used to never start on those until the case was glued up.

So now that I care about hitting actual numbers accurately, I'm trying to figure out the best numbers to use easily.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

tracecomplete posted:

I'm in the middle of doing exactly that right now. (Not a production shop.) I do a lot of 3D printing so millimeters have been sneaking into my brain anyway, and I have a tracksaw and an MFT (whose imperial dimensions are lying liars that lie) so now I am becoming metric-pilled in the wood shop too.

Trying to find metric measuring tools in the USA is a stupid stupid chore. Setup blocks are doable, I have found a couple of straightedges that have millimeters at a decent price, and FastCap sells nice tapes, but you end up buying procgen-brand rafter squares, etc. if those are your bag. Or Swanson. And I hate Swanson rafter squares. I have not been able to find a decent double-square or even a nice-enough combination square in metric, either, that's available in the USA. If folks here find them, I'd love recommendations.

On the other hand, while you mentioned drill bits and those are likely fully imperial? Your router bits might not be. Nicer and American-made ones probably are, but I 3D printed a 6mm and a 6.25mm fillet and my "quarter inch roundover" bits from a couple of cheapo sets made profiles that fit the 6mm one better than the 6.25mm one. My suspicion is that, much like a lot of things with nominal imperial measurements, the router bits have always been metric and they just didn't tell us.

edit: snipe, have more dog

Starrett makes metric squares as well. Can probably get a metric blade for whatever you already have too. I love my Starrett square but I've been perfectly happy with the iGaging or blemished PEC ones. Taking a few minutes with a diamond file to kill the sharp corners on the iGaging made it feel alot better.

And holy crap yeah Fastcap tapes are amazing. I used 16' stanley ones for forever but the fastcap ones are so easy to read and I love how they have the 16ths numbers alllllll the way down the tape. At first I thought the built in pencil sharpener was a dumb gimmick I would never use but I wind up using it all the time. I got a dorky little belt pouch a few months ago I keep a 6" square, metric/imp 6" rule, sharpie, mechanical pencil, normal pencils, and my tape clipped too and it has save me so much time wandering around looking for any of the above. If only I could permanently attach safety glasses to my body as well.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

tracecomplete posted:

It’s not, and that’s why I wear a full face mask when doing nasty stuff - it’s cheaper!
What kind? Like flip up clear faceshield or a full face clear thing that seals all around?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

dupersaurus posted:

So I'm looking to add a fold-down top extension to the back of this thing to get more working surface. The obvious solution of course is to just get some dumb door or piano or whatever hinge to swing the top, and then a ledge thing (technical term) that swings out under that. However, the cabinet lives in a deep nook so to open the extension I'd have to pull it all the way out and put it back in. Are there any fancy hinges out there that can work without direct access like that, maybe something like a euro hinge with self-locking? It'd have to support some weight, but for the use case not a huge amount.

The cabinet is about 34 inches deep and the extension will be around 10 or 12
You might look at a dutch pull-out table. I think half of one will give you basically the functionality you want:
https://www.finewoodworking.com/membership/pdf/6401/011009034.pdf
https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Make-a-Dutch-Draw-Leaf-Dining-Table/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

I wanna get some sharpening stones, I know this is a :can: topic but drat the choices are overwhelming... Basically down to either:

Combination 100/320 oilstone and a hard arkansas stone for final honing
or
Diamond plates

but there are a zillion diamond plate sets online ranging from like... $20/set to $200/set?? Any advice?
Having used most every flavor of sharpening stones at various points, what I've settled on is relatively coarse diamond stones and finishing with a combination waterstone. It's fast, it works well, but it's fairly expensive up front. Waterstones are great but you really need a fairly large diamond or something to flatten them with.

If I were just gonna get one thing, I'd probably go with oil stones, with a coarser diamond if the budget allowed. Oil stones are fairly slow to sharpen, but they last forever and make a beautifully sharp edge. My black Arkansas stone, aside from just being pretty, will put a mirror polish on stuff. If you can add a diamond stone into the mix, it will let you bypass alot of the 'slow to sharpen.' It also helps alot with coarser oil stones to scrub them from time to time with soapy water or naptha.