Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Lately I've noticed we have a fair amount of people here in ML with extensive knowledge of various effects so I figured it'd be good to have a central source for effects recommendations, demos, questions about chaining, etc. rather than individual threads.

Please post demos if possible when making recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh, if anyone is curious about various EHX pedals, they've got a decent number of youtube demos up that do a good job if showing off the sounds and capabilities of a lot of their stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/ehpedals

Plus the newer vids are fun to watch because the guy doing them looks hilarious when he plays.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Can't forget the ZVex demos!

http://zvex.com/videos.html

I'm going to be soldering my first pedal sometime this week (4ms Duo Distortor, pretty sure mine is the last one floating around). Does anyone have any general advice or tips for a first timer?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm not any kind of self-professed effects expert, but I've owned a whole lot of effects pedals, used several moderately high-end effects processors extensively, written FAQs on using VSTs with guitar without having to spend any money, etc., so if you have any questions about using effects with guitar I'll be happy to contribute what my experience has taught me. I can't pretend to go any farther than that, though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Has anyone had experience with Robot Factory pedals before? The guy seems to make some pretty good clones as well as some really out-there type effects. They have a meatball clone that caught my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robot-Factory-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

Granted it's still over $300... but at half the price of a real Meatball, it's pretty tempting.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I highly recommend Devi Ever pedals.

She has some of the most bizarre and interesting effects and fuzzes out there, and half of them are reasonably priced -- the small ones run about $95, and you can find them used for as low as $65. She also sells directly on eBay. I own two:

The Bit aka The Legend of Fuzz which emulates distorted 8-bit sounds-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZbgN8Zl1mo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx81TYgPnCg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkNvrZSZI5Y

And the Hyperion, which is more stable, but harsh fuzz that you can fiddle with to create compressed waves of noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j6Url7QnTg (I can only find a bass clip)

Both are pretty much awesome and more controllable than my Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I'm a drummer and a bit out of place but I think I'm on to something sweet. I have been playing didgeridoo for a bit now and have mounted it to my drum kit. I am planning on now buying two effects pedals to go with it! I am going to go from the didge into an echo effect (so that if I gently caress up circular breathing it doesn't kill the sound) and from there I plan to go to a wah pedal on my left foot so I can still play everything and wah at the same time and that way it wahs the echo as well.

Anyone have suggestions for me? I'm brand new to pedals and know that they are unorthodox for a didgeridoo but I'm all about that. Should I try other pedals out? or do you have some advise for me perhaps? I appreciate it!

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the LoveTone pedals yet. Not exactly easy to find but its some of the best craftsmanship you'll see around.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hen posted:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the LoveTone pedals yet. Not exactly easy to find but its some of the best craftsmanship you'll see around.

Probably because they cost out the rear end:(

I would absolutely LOVE to have a meatball though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, Lovetone/Dinosaural goes in and out of business a lot. Probably because, as I stated, their pedals cost out the rear end and they don't sell a ton of units. If the could simply cut the costs I'm sure they'd be much more prominent in the industry.

That poo poo is pure quality but seriously... $600 for a pedal?

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker
Quick question. What's the best order for these effects:

EQ, Wah, OD, Distortion/Fuzz. I only have the OD and Dist. so far but I'm buying the other two soon and I'd like to know the best configuration.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Darth Fungus posted:

Quick question. What's the best order for these effects:

EQ, Wah, OD, Distortion/Fuzz. I only have the OD and Dist. so far but I'm buying the other two soon and I'd like to know the best configuration.

Well, I'm an EHX fanboy... so I'm gonna push those :)

English Muff'n overdrive makes me :gizz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kpS5vEKYrI

and the Germanium OD is pretty cool if you're into that garage sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glCCXE1Vilo

For fuzz you can't go wrong with the Muff series. The Little Big Muff is my favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xSVoH0ctoc

with the Double Muff closely behind for an over-the-top fuzz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Mkgqu6LJE

Or if you want to get more indepth they have a Graphic Fuzz that can also function as a stand-alone EQ, might be a good bet for you since you want both:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2sJFPXUfRQ
edit: however the only bad part is that there isn't a foot switch to turn the fuzz on or off for regular EQ use, it's like a switch on the top side :\

Scarf fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 23, 2008

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I posted this in the 'New to Guitar' megathread but never really got a response but I think it would be better suited in here.

I really want to get that warm but funky Jam Band sound. I really dig the Allman Brothers and bands like Moe. I've heard that the ABB sound is hard to replicate but it's do drat pleasing to the ear.

Any Suggestions?

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

3toes posted:

I want that.

By the way I was asking what order (which goes first, 2nd, etc) in the effects chain each effect should be. But thanks for the links gonna go spend more money I don't have now woohoo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Darth Fungus posted:

I want that.

By the way I was asking what order (which goes first, 2nd, etc) in the effects chain each effect should be. But thanks for the links gonna go spend more money I don't have now woohoo.

Oops, my bad :shobon:

You'll hear a million different answers to that question... but the only true answer is what sounds best to you. You just have to think about it logically. Like do you want to add distortion to an equalized signal, or do you want to equalize a distorted one. You'll find results will vary.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

I posted this in the 'New to Guitar' megathread but never really got a response but I think it would be better suited in here.

I really want to get that warm but funky Jam Band sound. I really dig the Allman Brothers and bands like Moe. I've heard that the ABB sound is hard to replicate but it's do drat pleasing to the ear.

Any Suggestions?

You'll have to be a little more specific as to what the actual sound you looking for is. There are so many things that are classified as "funky" and "jammy."

For the most part ABB guitarists, Duane, Betts, Haynes, and Derek Trucks all just play Gibsons with great humbucker pickups going into great amps like old Marshall stacks or Soldano amps.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

3toes posted:

You'll have to be a little more specific as to what the actual sound you looking for is. There are so many things that are classified as "funky" and "jammy."

For the most part ABB guitarists, Duane, Betts, Haynes, and Derek Trucks all just play Gibsons with great humbucker pickups going into great amps like old Marshall stacks or Soldano amps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLSrudW7J4M

About 3:52 is a good example. I'm pretty bad with terminology right now so sorry if I can't really explain this well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLSrudW7J4M

About 3:52 is a good example. I'm pretty bad with terminology right now so sorry if I can't really explain this well.

That's just some really good, smooth overdrive that's dialed in really well. A Tubescreamer should help you get that down pretty well without breaking the bank.

What kind of guitar/amp are you going through?

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker
Another quick question. I'm thinking of getting an EH Holy Grail (reverb whore). There's a very specific sound that I want to achieve, that I've only heard in surf rock songs. It's this weird little reverby sound, I don't quite know how to describe it, sort of "twee twee" noise. Couldn't find a youtube of it, but its in the intro to Pipeline by The Lively Ones (not in the other versions). I remember turning the reverb to 10 on a fender amp in a store one day and I made that noise on accident and I love it. So my question is, will the Holy Grail be able to make that noise?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

3toes posted:

That's just some really good, smooth overdrive that's dialed in really well. A Tubescreamer should help you get that down pretty well without breaking the bank.

What kind of guitar/amp are you going through?

Amp: Fender Frontman 15G :smith:

I'm playing a Squire right now but plan on upgrading to a midrange Strat in the next couple weeks.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

Amp: Fender Frontman 15G :smith:

I'm playing a Squire right now but plan on upgrading to a midrange Strat in the next couple weeks.

Well, in my opinion, and feel free to get many other opinions on this... You'll never get as smooth of sounding overdrive from single-coil pickups as you will from humbuckers.

But I'd say a good tube amp would help out more than changing from single coils to a humbucker. Maybe look into a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Peavey Classic 30 down the road when you get some more cash.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Darth Fungus posted:

Another quick question. I'm thinking of getting an EH Holy Grail (reverb whore). There's a very specific sound that I want to achieve, that I've only heard in surf rock songs. It's this weird little reverby sound, I don't quite know how to describe it, sort of "twee twee" noise. Couldn't find a youtube of it, but its in the intro to Pipeline by The Lively Ones (not in the other versions). I remember turning the reverb to 10 on a fender amp in a store one day and I made that noise on accident and I love it. So my question is, will the Holy Grail be able to make that noise?

You might need a real spring reverb tank for that. It's what the surf dudes used, and I know Fender have them in a few of their amps.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
Random newbie question bonanza!

Now, I don't own any pedals so I'm thinking of getting an arsenal for rock/instrumental rock.

This is the list that I have made up, and I'm open to suggestions. Bear in mind that outside of the boss/ibanez/ehx stuff it's harder to track them down.

Boss:
DD-6 - Any other delay pedals? I heard good things about the DD-6.
PS-5 - Seems cool
TR-2 - standard kit?
CH-1/CE-5 - What's the difference?

Ibanez:
TS9/TS9DX - The DX has the original Tube Screamer chip so is that the one to go for?

Dunlop:
Wah - but which one?! Or more accurately which one can you recommend?

EHX:
Big Muff Pi/Russian Muff/Little Big Muff? Or say to hell with it all and get the English Muff'n? What the hell is the difference between the Russian and USA Big Muff?

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea about pedals.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Spartak posted:

Now, I don't own any pedals so I'm thinking of getting an arsenal for rock/instrumental rock.

This is the list that I have made up, and I'm open to suggestions. Bear in mind that outside of the boss/ibanez/ehx stuff it's harder to track them down.

Boss:
PS-5 - Seems cool
TR-2 - standard kit?

Ibanez:
TS9/TS9DX - The DX has the original Tube Screamer chip so is that the one to go for?

Dunlop:

EHX:
Big Muff Pi/Russian Muff/Little Big Muff? Or say to hell with it all and get the English Muff'n? What the hell is the difference between the Russian and USA Big Muff?

DON'T get the DD-6, because the DD-7 just came out and will be widely available soon and will kick all kinds of rear end.

As far as Boss questions go just read bossarea.com for a while, it's a great resource.

The English Muff'n is a totally different pedal from any Big Muff. If you want the latter, get the Little Big Muff.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Spartak posted:

Boss:
PS-5 - Seems cool
TR-2 - standard kit?

Ibanez:

Dunlop:

EHX:

Ultimately, what you choose to use is going to be determined by trying things out and seeing how well they fit into your sound. I'd really recommend not picking up a whole mess of pedals at once, too. You may spend days obsessing over what kind of chips go into various phasers, sweep ranges and all that sort of poo poo only to find that you never really use the thing. Let your actual playing dictate what goes onto your pedalboard, not just a lack of pedals.

That being said, I can give a line or two about most of your prospective pedals :)
DD-6 : If the DD-7 is coming out, I'd say awesome, because that means that you can get a DD-5 or DD-6 for cheaper used in the coming months. I only use my DD-5 to give a little bit of echo, so I don't use a lot of the fancy reversing or super-long-delay options. I guess it's nice to know that you have the option of all of that stuff, but if you just want regular echo-type delay, just get something well-made. I've been hearing good things about the MXR Carbon Copy.
PS-5 : Never used one, but looks like fun. I'd suggest trying one out in person before buying, just in case it's not what you're expecting.
TR-2 : Have one and really like it, although it does have a noticeable volume when engaged. There are mods to fix this, but if it's something that you think you may use a lot, you may want to check into the Voodoo Labs Tremolo.
CH-1/CE-5 : Both excellent chorus pedals. I prefer the CE-5, but I also really dig the Roland Jazz Chorus style chorus, which I think it more closely resembles.
TS9/TS9DX : I can actually go both ways on this one. I have both and just recently decided to take the DX off my board because it was just never getting used since I got an OCD. In my opinion, the TS9s are best at light overdrive, kind of rendering that "modes" knob useless to me, but YMMV. Check out the BD2 for a TS-esque pedal that may be what you're looking for. For the price, a lot of people seem to like the Bad Monkey, too.
Muffs : I really wish I could be one of those people that rocks the muff, but it's just way too buzzy for me.
Wah : No complaints about the 535q. It's got a nice little boost knob on the bottom that gives it an extra little push, which is nice.

edit: The pedal that you're going to use again and again and again, will never want to leave home without, and will be responsible for making your guitar sound better more than any other thing on your entire pedalboard is a tuner pedal. Get a TU-2, Planet Waves Tuner or anything along those lines and wonder how you ever lived before you owned one.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 23, 2008

MUNG
Apr 8, 2003

Spartak posted:

Ibanez:

maybe check out a maxon od9 or od808, they sound better than the ibanez reissues (to my ears at least)

and buy used if possible

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Darth Fungus posted:

If you're truly a reverb whore... then you may want to look into the Holiest Grail ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB8kvSlcBIs

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

I've heard a lot about expression pedals, but never really seen one. What do they do?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

stiknork posted:

I've heard a lot about expression pedals, but never really seen one. What do they do?

Depends on the pedal it's used with. It can fade between dry/wet signal, control modulation speed... basically anything that a knob can do can be made controllable by an expression pedal.

edit: don't know how much you understand.... an expression pedal by itself doesn't do anything, it's like a MIDI controller keyboard in that respect. You have to use it with an exp-pedal-controllable effect.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
If you're looking at making a chain. This Month's issue of Guitar Player has a big feature on Pedal Boards and how to set them up without making your guitar sound like crap.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Hellequin posted:

If you're looking at making a chain. This Month's issue of Guitar Player has a big feature on Pedal Boards and how to set them up without making your guitar sound like crap.

There's also these two articles over at the Gibson site.

Effects Pedals, Part 1

Effects Pedals, Part 2

By no means all you need to know but a good guide to understanding.

Oh, and this is in the mail, wheee!

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

dancehall posted:

Depends on the pedal it's used with. It can fade between dry/wet signal, control modulation speed... basically anything that a knob can do can be made controllable by an expression pedal.

edit: don't know how much you understand.... an expression pedal by itself doesn't do anything, it's like a MIDI controller keyboard in that respect. You have to use it with an exp-pedal-controllable effect.

Oh, they're those big pedals I see on pedalboards! I see. Thanks. :)

Lawl
Aug 4, 2005
Pornographic Priestess?

stiknork posted:

Oh, they're those big pedals I see on pedalboards! I see. Thanks. :)

Yea basically, although those pedals can sometimes be volume and wah pedals.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Alright, I'd like some opinions on my proposed setup.

I've changed my strategy for using my pedals and amps. I've decided that I will have smaller pedal boards specifically for each amp, instead of one big signal chain that I use for all of them. This way, I'll be able to plug-and-play with any of my setups, and it lets me tweak each setup distinctly from the others instead of trying to find a medium that works with all of them. It also cuts some noise from the signal chain and simplifies my playing environment significantly. I don't know what I'll do about a tuner, but I won't be buying a bunch of them, that's for sure. I might just leave it on top of my half stack for easy access with a three or six foot cable coming out of it so I can plug the guitar just into the tuner... I don't know.

Here's what I'm going with:

1. Randall RG120PH (Even Randall can't tell me anything about this amp beyond a schematic for all the late 1970's RG120/300 series amps...)
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah --> Planetwaves Chromatic Tuner --> Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive --> Danelectro Fab-Tone --> Danelectro Fish n' Chips EQ --> AMP INPUT

2. Peavey Windsor
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah --> Zoom Tri-Metal --> Damage Control Liquid Blues --> Damage Control Solid Metal --> AMP INPUT

EFFECTS LOOP SEND --> Danelectro Fish n' Chips EQ --> Danelectro Dan-Echo --> Marshall Reflector --> EFFECTS LOOP RETURN

3. THD Univalve
Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive --> Aramat Mojo Fuzz --> AMP INPUT

Thoughts? (Yes, I have two Wasabi ODs and two Fish n' Chips EQs, and the Mojo Fuzz is supposed to be coming my way next week in trade for my Wasabi Chorus/Trem... the Mojo Fuzz is a modification to the Fuzz Face circuit, with upgrades all around. I'm just getting into fuzz and I'm pretty excited about it.)

One thing I will likely be adding fairly soon is a Holy Stain to the THD Univalve's signal chain, after the Aramat MF (that is, right in front of the amp). I'll use its Reverb all the time, and switch between its Clean and Fuzz depending on what I'm doing.

Another thing this will let me do is actually put my pedals togather on pedalboards instead of having them strewn about - all of them just wouldn't fit on any that I could find, and I don't really have the tools to make my own "professional" quality pedalboard.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 27, 2008

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
any of you guitar slingers get into the korg kaoss pads?

pretty amazing little effects units with a shedload of preset effects and ability to tweak 'em all etc.

i've also seen some people mount them into guitars which is pretty epic!

the kp3's look like this:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I love the Korg modeling units, but I don't think I could really put something like that to use. My hands are always too busy playing, for one thing, and frankly I don't know what that would give me that my pedals don't (which is, perhaps, more of a statement about my lack of imagination than anything about the unit itself).

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

It looks awesome, but I know that I'd just hook up and play with for a couple of hours, and then never get around to using ever again.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 27, 2008

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Agreed posted:

EFFECTS LOOP SEND --> Danelectro Fish n' Chips EQ --> Danelectro Dan-Echo --> Marshall Reflector --> EFFECTS LOOP RETURN
Why are you putting the EQ in your effects loop? Does your amp not have Bass/Mid/Treble knobs on it? It seems like those would be just about fine for shaping the after-distortion tone, unless there's something you really like about the Dano EQ bands.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Raze posted:

Why are you putting the EQ in your effects loop? Does your amp not have Bass/Mid/Treble knobs on it? It seems like those would be just about fine for shaping the after-distortion tone, unless there's something you really like about the Dano EQ bands.

The degree of precision and also the amount of boost/cut is significantly better with a 7-band (or more) EQ than it is with a three-knob EQ. I don't know why that would seem odd, nearly everyone at the HC forums runs an EQ in the loop. Might be a high gain thing.

But I do also love the Dan-o EQs, they're very quiet, very sturdy, very effective, and very cheap.

Another thing - I find that the amp's onboard EQ tends to be tied to some degree to its general distortion character, not just its tone. This is especially true of passive (cut) tone stacks. My two amps with a midrange knob sacrifice a lot of their distortion clarity and punch without the midrange knob up all the way, so I run them like that and then sculpt the midrange more precisely afterwards.

Remember too that the amp's tone controls are centered on a specific frequency, with a defined range (on passive tone stacks, you can only take away, not add, too). A seperate, active graphical EQ means that you can boost or cut, and you also get much more control over which frequencies you're affecting.

Another factor is that the EQs on my amps in particular come before the preamp, not after it. Distorting bass can muddy your sound up tremendously when you're using any level of gain, so rolling the bass back before the preamp and adding it back in before the power amp is an effective way of tightening up your sound without losing clarity. This trick is an old one, used on early Mesa Mk. series amps. A resonance control can add bass after the preamp, but it also faces the known-frequency limitation, so if you're wanting to add only very low bass to get cabinet thump but not midbass, which can muddy the sound, you might be poo poo out of luck if the resonance control is at 200hz or something.

If you think Bass/Mid/Treble is enough, I encourage you to try an EQ in the loop. It'll open your eyes to a lot of possibilities that you didn't have before, with nearly any amp.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 27, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

3toes posted:

Well, I think you may have just sold me on one of these. I need to go check one out for myself, but that sounds incredible in that clip. It makes me wonder how it would do on bass too, but I can't quite picture it. That fuzzy 60's sound is just perfect though.