Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Leck posted:

Well, I think you may have just sold me on one of these. I need to go check one out for myself, but that sounds incredible in that clip. It makes me wonder how it would do on bass too, but I can't quite picture it. That fuzzy 60's sound is just perfect though.

Chances are you'd lose all low-end on it. I'm always skeptical about these kinds of pedals if they're not tailored especially for bass. Hell even with the demo on the guitar, you can detect loss of the lows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Agreed posted:

The degree of precision and also the amount of boost/cut is significantly better with a 7-band (or more) EQ than it is with a three-knob EQ. I don't know why that would seem odd, nearly everyone at the HC forums runs an EQ in the loop. Might be a high gain thing.

Ah, fair enough. I was just confused as to why it was in the effects loop. I'm used to my crappy little combo that I just run clean. I probably should have read what it was going in to a little closer, sorry. I've tried a few graphic EQs before and I'm just not too keen on them. I think I want them to do more than they can in terms of tone, or I just suck at using them. I DO like the 3-band parametric EQ on my preamp, but I'm not all that great at tweaking it, either.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Raze posted:

Ah, fair enough. I was just confused as to why it was in the effects loop. I'm used to my crappy little combo that I just run clean. I probably should have read what it was going in to a little closer, sorry. I've tried a few graphic EQs before and I'm just not too keen on them. I think I want them to do more than they can in terms of tone, or I just suck at using them. I DO like the 3-band parametric EQ on my preamp, but I'm not all that great at tweaking it, either.

EQ is handy if you know what frequencies you're working with and what you're trying to accomplish in working with them. I have used everything from a little 6-band EQ to a 32-band rack EQ, and I honestly don't get anything more out of the big ones than the 7-band units I use now. Parametric EQs can be great, but once again, for distorted guitar it's more precision than I need. After all, with a setup like mine, you've got at least four tone stacks to work with - Overdrive Pedal, Distortion Pedal, Amp tone stack, and 7-band EQ. I use all of them cooperatively to get the sound I want. I know what I like to hear going on, partly thanks to working with modelers so often - if you've got a modeling interface and you don't know what you want to sound like, you'll spend all your time tweaking and no time making sounds :)

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
I use a crappy Behringer delay to do timestretchy type effects (e.g. have the delay time as short as possible and slowly increasing it) however it has really terrible sound quality and so I'd like to get something a better. I'm not even sure if a delay is the right way to do what I want... Can anyone recommend something?

DodGrile
Jul 20, 2006

There should be something funny here. There isn't.

3toes posted:

Oh, if anyone is curious about various EHX pedals, they've got a decent number of youtube demos up that do a good job if showing off the sounds and capabilities of a lot of their stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/ehpedals

Plus the newer vids are fun to watch because the guy doing them looks hilarious when he plays.

I love watching the EHX videos because they just solidify my impression of the kind of people who'd come out with some of those pedals:

"Hey guys, I've got this idea for a new pedal. You'll like.. push it, and then it'll be all like weeee and wooo and cool n' stuff"

Keeping a little more on topic, there's two of us playing guitar in the band I'm currently in, and both myself and the other guitarists take solos depending on the song. Most of the time, our volume levels are pretty much even, but it'd be nice to give whoevers playing the solo a boost so it cuts through a little more. Is this just a case of getting a decent EQ pedal?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Ive been looking for a U-2 is echo/delay sound, and think I have settled on a BOSS RE-20 to do this. I played one in a local music shop and really liked the sound, but only really played with it for 5-10 minutes. Im worried about an impulse buy because its around 200 bucks, so I want to make sure I wont be surprised by some lovely build quality or something. Does anyone have any suggestions for that really natural sounding echo/delay besides this guy, or possibly any experience with this pedal to help me make my final decision?

Currently to get that echo sound im just using a DD-6, which doesnt really do it for me since it is a straight up delay (it just is too harsh and doesnt have the natural falloff of an echo).

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

DodGrile posted:

I love watching the EHX videos because they just solidify my impression of the kind of people who'd come out with some of those pedals:

"Hey guys, I've got this idea for a new pedal. You'll like.. push it, and then it'll be all like weeee and wooo and cool n' stuff"

Keeping a little more on topic, there's two of us playing guitar in the band I'm currently in, and both myself and the other guitarists take solos depending on the song. Most of the time, our volume levels are pretty much even, but it'd be nice to give whoevers playing the solo a boost so it cuts through a little more. Is this just a case of getting a decent EQ pedal?

What about a simple boost pedal? Or you could have a separate OD pedal for when you solo that has the drive or level cranked a little higher so it stands out, also that way you'll get a slightly different tone for the solo.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Ive been looking for a U-2 is echo/delay sound, and think I have settled on a BOSS RE-20 to do this. I played one in a local music shop and really liked the sound, but only really played with it for 5-10 minutes. Im worried about an impulse buy because its around 200 bucks, so I want to make sure I wont be surprised by some lovely build quality or something. Does anyone have any suggestions for that really natural sounding echo/delay besides this guy, or possibly any experience with this pedal to help me make my final decision?

Currently to get that echo sound im just using a DD-6, which doesnt really do it for me since it is a straight up delay (it just is too harsh and doesnt have the natural falloff of an echo).

The RE-20 is an amazing unit, very accurate model of the original (down to the mediocre reverb, heh). If you're looking for a delay that's more than your standard digital delay, it'd be a great choice. Getting one is on my list of things to do this summer.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

DodGrile posted:

You'll probably want (doot doo doo doooo) a boost pedal. It raises the level of your signal by a couple of db, which gives your guitar a bit of a push through your amp. You can use a regular EQ pedal and just raise the level a bit higher, keeping the EQ part of it fairly flat, or you can get a regular boost pedal.

I just recently bought a MXR MC402 Boost/Overdrive pedal, and am using the boost for exactly that. I play in a band where the other guitar player and I go back and forth, and throwing about 10db of boost on my signal is just enough for me to pop out for a bit without getting drowned out. The overdrive half of the pedal is kind of sucky though, so I'd recommend the MC401 over the 402. There's also the older MXR Micro Amp, and tons upon tons of booootique options.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Agreed posted:

The RE-20 is an amazing unit, very accurate model of the original (down to the mediocre reverb, heh). If you're looking for a delay that's more than your standard digital delay, it'd be a great choice. Getting one is on my list of things to do this summer.

Your thoughts were mine when I first heard it. I would like to compare each of the settings available, they look like it would give some interesting variants to the sound.

The reverb sounds better than the reverb on my MESA BOOGIE F30...so ill take it :o). I might just need to shell out for a holy grail to get some nice reverb on my signal.

What kind of music do you play Agreed?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

DodGrile posted:

You'll love the ZVex videos, then!

http://www.zvex.com/effects.html

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Your thoughts were mine when I first heard it. I would like to compare each of the settings available, they look like it would give some interesting variants to the sound.

The reverb sounds better than the reverb on my MESA BOOGIE F30...so ill take it :o). I might just need to shell out for a holy grail to get some nice reverb on my signal.

What kind of music do you play Agreed?

Hard to answer that catagorically. Fusion and metal, mostly. I have aspirations to be as talented as folks like Satriani, Vai, and my hero Devin Townsend, but I worry that won't ever happen. Still, I practice every day, and I'm trying to immerse myself in a more theory-oriented approach to re-learning what I already know, and using that as a base from which to move forward.

Here's something I'm working on now. Just a snapshot of an idea I'm working on, recorded with Revalver MkIII (trial version, so it makes a swoosh at one point...) - I was fooling around with it and liked the sound, so I figured I'd work on a progression I've been thinking of and try to play something over it to see if it would fit.

And here's another (somewhat embarrasing) effort to get beyond my usual comfort zones (major, pentatonic minor, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, centering strongly around the first position). The reverb in this is that amp's reverb, which I quite like - a bit bright, but very deep (that's with it set between 2 and 3)

I've only just got back into playing standard, too. I've been tuning my guitars to CGCFCF, CGCFCG, or CGCGCG. Here's a couple examples of how that sounds:

I still keep a guitar tuned in CGCGCF, but I'm trying to really buckle down and get more out of standard tuning as well. My strat is tuned oddly as well, a combination of dropped C#-standard with the top string an octave above the third string. The result is three-string symmetry for the bottom three strings, and for the top three strings, with the middle portion being the same fifth relationship as standard tuning. I'm enjoying it, it allows for some interesting possiblities.

Edit: Also, my reverb pedal of choice is the Marshall Reflector. Quiet as can be, absolutely fantastic reverbs. I especially like Hall, Plate, Spring 1, and Spring 2 (which is a deeper spring reverb with a plate reverb blended in as well).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 29, 2008

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

archie posted:

any of you guitar slingers get into the korg kaoss pads?

pretty amazing little effects units with a shedload of preset effects and ability to tweak 'em all etc.

i've also seen some people mount them into guitars which is pretty epic!

the kp3's look like this:

I've seen people do this and IMO if you're going to invest into something like that you may as well just ditch the guitar, get into synths/sampling and never look back.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Three Red Lights posted:

I've seen people do this and IMO if you're going to invest into something like that you may as well just ditch the guitar, get into synths/sampling and never look back.

Or install one in your guitar like Matt Bellamy from Muse and... Matt Bellamy from Muse.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Agreed posted:

:bravo2:

I like the experimental one you put in there (2nd clip). Good stuff.

I play mostly with my church, so you can imagine that dictates some of the musical styles I encounter, but it sits in the realm of straight ahead rock. It does really give me a chance to play with effects more than I was used to playing in a punk rock band, and that I enjoy immensely. Im starting to branch out some more into learning practical leads, and learning multiple chord voicings. Perhaps I should approach it with more theory myself :).

so in the interest of staying on topic, thanks for the advice on the RE-20. I am going to try it out again this week and try to make a decision.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
What does everyone use to power their effects pedals? I'm probably going to be acquiring at least 2-3 more for a total of 8, and my current daisy chain won't do it. Should I just get another daisy chain, or should I look into something crazy like the Voodoo Labs stuff? And does anyone have experience with Ernie Ball volume pedals? I'm wondering how passive they truly are.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Raze posted:

What does everyone use to power their effects pedals? I'm probably going to be acquiring at least 2-3 more for a total of 8, and my current daisy chain won't do it. Should I just get another daisy chain, or should I look into something crazy like the Voodoo Labs stuff? And does anyone have experience with Ernie Ball volume pedals? I'm wondering how passive they truly are.

Ive been using a onespot with the daisy chain connectors (I have 5 pedals so far being powered, but with the purchase of the RE-20, that will change). I would sum the current draw of all your pedals together, and see if it exceeds the current that a onespot can provide. If its too much, buy another one...

If it was me, the 30-40 bucks it costs to get a onespot and a multi-connector is a better choice than one of those 200 dollar voodoo power supplies. I do have a friend that swears by his, but mostly because he has a bunch of EHX pedals that require weird voltages and stuff. I have also heard that the power supply bricks have a better regulated voltage out, and somewhat simplify your connections. For me, I don't think it makes enough of a difference for that price (at this point in my life)

The EB volume pedal is completely passive (no battery), but does "suck your tone" to use the common terminology. I used to consider one to use as a tuner bypass to keep it out of my direct chain, but it doesnt actually do this effectively (you still get some effect on your sound due to the tuner). I like them though, as ive used one to clean up my signal while im playing so I dont fumble for my volume knob. I have put it on my short-list of things to buy eventually. This one is a personal preference thing I think...

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

Three Red Lights posted:

you could go down that path!

i am just sorta tossin' it out there because for the price ($400 on musician's friend) it seems like something that fits into the price range of some of the effects you guys are buying.

if you picked up a midi pedal board you could control it with your feet too and just have it sitting near you

here's a short clip with a dude with a kaoss pad 2 in his guitar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhNejyIyxdE

DodGrile
Jul 20, 2006

There should be something funny here. There isn't.

Darth Fungus posted:

What about a simple boost pedal?

Bisticles posted:

You'll probably want (doot doo doo doooo) a boost pedal.

:doh:

I didn't even think to search for "boost" and "guitar" in the same google search. Thanks.

dancehall posted:

You'll love the ZVex videos, then!

yes, yes I do. And now I want to spend more money dammit. :argh:

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
http://www.myspace.com/doomachesatan
In "The Universe!" is there really anything more to the sound than an overdriven hollowbody or semihollow with a lot of reverb and thus feedback?

Capitan Dad fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 2, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My roommate ordered an EHX Wiggler last week, should be arriving soon. I think I'm just as excited about it as he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00znqYR8CQo

Really awesome, warm, tube-driven vibrato/tremolo.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
Speaking of tremolos, does anyone know of a classic sounding, really simple tremolo with a speed switch. I was looking at the Monster Effects Swamp Thang trem but I'm sure there's other stuff out there.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
Man, EHX is awesome, that wiggler looks great. All of their pedals are top notch, and not very expensive which totally rules. I love my Metal Muff and i've been thinking of picking up a Stereo Memory Man because that thing is sweet. I'm on the fence between that and a DD7 though.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

qball posted:

Speaking of tremolos, does anyone know of a classic sounding, really simple tremolo with a speed switch. I was looking at the Monster Effects Swamp Thang trem but I'm sure there's other stuff out there.

danelectro tuna melt

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

dancehall posted:

danelectro tuna melt

No speed switch.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I really want this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmtI1sOK3Y

Maybe I'll get one once I get some free cash.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

I really want this:

I have one and it is amazing.

BizarroBrian
Jan 7, 2004

Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. P.S. I am not a crack-pot.

3toes posted:

My roommate ordered an EHX Wiggler last week, should be arriving soon. I think I'm just as excited about it as he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00znqYR8CQo

Really awesome, warm, tube-driven vibrato/tremolo.

I've been flip-flopping between the Wiggler and the English Muff'N as my next pedal. Have you had a chance to play with the Wiggler yet? A short review would be awesome!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BizarroBrian posted:

I've been flip-flopping between the Wiggler and the English Muff'N as my next pedal. Have you had a chance to play with the Wiggler yet? A short review would be awesome!

Well I spent about 5-10 minutes playing with it and the Micro POG in tandem and I'll say that it makes one hell of a Leslie-Organ imitation :)

I'll see if I can't spend some time on it while he's studying this week. But from what little time I spent on it, it was incredibly warm and smooth. He's wanting a Muff'n hardcore as well. He got the Wiggler used on ebay for $100 even.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Thoogsby posted:

I really want this:

Sell stuff... make it happen. The most fun I've had with a pedal - guitar or bass... works great for either one.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any alternatives to the Boss Acoustic sim? I really want an acoustic simulation thing but I cant convince myself the soundclips of this sound good.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Three Red Lights posted:

Are there any alternatives to the Boss Acoustic sim? I really want an acoustic simulation thing but I cant convince myself the soundclips of this sound good.

Our other guitar player has one and it sounds like garbage. It sounds like a lovely EQ with all of the high frequencies maxed and fed through a warbley chorus or something. You'd be better off just playing an electric with a little extra bit of echo.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Anyone seen (or tried, despite them not shipping yet) this?

I will admit, I'm an equipment whore for things with lots of screens and buttons, and I even said to a friend before "why don't they move multi-effects away from amp modelling and more towards stompbox modelling". Never tried Line6's effects before, but I've heard both good and bad things about them.

Probably cost a shitton though.

(edit: Just more expensive than the Pod X3 Live. Price will probably drop over the year or so, I might pick one up later.)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Three Red Lights posted:

Zoom's Acoustic Sim in their G2 series of modelers (current gen) kicks rear end. Try it through a G2.1u in the store. One of my favorite things about the G9.2tt. So much more than just EQ filters.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

qball posted:

No speed switch.

oops, I was thinking of a waveform switch. There's a speed knob, though, with pretty much as wide a range as anyone will need.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I said I'd post clips of my English Muff played through my Bassman a million times but never did.

Here she is:

http://gozoidberg.net/files/muff.mp3

Excuse the cliche style shredding, but it's hard to fight it when you click this pedal on :o:

There's a Small Stone phaser on, a Boss DD2 delay, and the English Muff (going to my Bassman). Gain is at about 1 o'clock. The guitar is my Parker Nitefly. The Bassman has the bright switch on, Treble at 10, Bass at 10, Master Volume at 10, and channel volume at 1.5 :ssh:

Here's the pedal switched off, same guitar and other effects on (excuse the clipping):

http://gozoidberg.net/files/bassman.mp3

Only up to date picture I have, Nitefly not shown here.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

mono posted:

I said I'd post clips of my English Muff played through my Bassman a million times but never did.

Here she is:

http://gozoidberg.net/files/muff.mp3

Excuse the cliche style shredding, but it's hard to fight it when you click this pedal on :o:

There's a Small Stone phaser on, a Boss DD2 delay, and the English Muff (going to my Bassman). Gain is at about 1 o'clock. The guitar is my Parker Nitefly. The Bassman has the bright switch on, Treble at 10, Bass at 10, Master Volume at 10, and channel volume at 1.5 :ssh:

Here's the pedal switched off, same guitar and other effects on (excuse the clipping):

http://gozoidberg.net/files/bassman.mp3

Only up to date picture I have, Nitefly not shown here.

Haha, that sounds so much like the Danelectro Fab-Tone! I'm going to record a clip to see if my hypothesis is correct, since I'm at my wife's parents' house so I can't just confirm it directly, but I think it is!

I love the Fab-Tone's distortion, and I think I'd love this pedal too. Fuzzsortion :rock:

I just got a new fuzz too.

(Guy's site)

I traded a Wasabi Chorus/Trem for it, which I got while it was on clearance for less than $40 shipped. That makes me feel a little bit better about adding a $125 Fuzz Face-based pedal to my board, since that pedal has maybe $30 in parts if you're using the best of the best. But all that doesn't matter much to me. I'd buy it full price now that I know how awesome it sounds. Clips in a few days, this thing is a sonic monster. Absolutely lovely fuzz, way beyond the "stock" Fuzz Face both in how nasty it gets and how smooth it gets. I run it after a Wasabi Overdrive into my THD Univalve and :q:

Where has fuzz been all my life? I spend all my time going through overdrives and distortions, and then get two awesome fuzzes in a row with totally different agendas. Now I'm hooked, I think. This was the missing phoneme of my tonal vocabulary.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 9, 2008

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Agreed posted:

Haha, that sounds so much like the Danelectro Fab-Tone! I'm going to record a clip to see if my hypothesis is correct, since I'm at my wife's parents' house so I can't just confirm it directly, but I think it is!

I love the Fab-Tone's distortion, and I think I'd love this pedal too. Fuzzsortion :rock:

My goal for this weekend is to record some more clips with the volume slightly higher than 1.5 :v:. I'm thinking 6 or 7. The pedal actually sounds worlds better with the amp volume up and gain knob down.

I forgot to mention, I put 12ax7's in the pedal to replace the stock tubes. It helps smooth it out.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I love tube-bearing pedals. I have a set of Damage Control unit (Solid Metal, Liquid Blues) that I run into one of my amps. And yeah, in tube-bearing pedals which actually bias the tube correctly and run it fairly hot, swapping the tubes makes a big impact on the sound. And my experience is the same as yours - gain down, volume up on the amp. They've got their own voicing that works really well with a lot of different kinds of preamps.

The guy that designs a lot of EHX's tube-based pedals posts on the HC effects forums, seems like a crazy guy with a lot of neat ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I'm hooked on those Kaoss pads, thanks a lot. :unsmith: I've got to go play with them at the store a bit and see just how portable the mini-kaoss really is, because it'd probably be a lot of fun mounted on my AX1 somehow.