Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mono posted:

My goal for this weekend is to record some more clips with the volume slightly higher than 1.5 :v:. I'm thinking 6 or 7. The pedal actually sounds worlds better with the amp volume up and gain knob down.

I forgot to mention, I put 12ax7's in the pedal to replace the stock tubes. It helps smooth it out.

Crank the mids! Sounded a little scooped for my tastes. Or maybe it was the other effects. Just engage the muff'n leave the other stuff off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Susano-maku da! posted:

Or install one in your guitar like Matt Bellamy from Muse and... Matt Bellamy from Muse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDTSbF5Bnaw for video of Matt Bellamy's live KAOSS pad solo in Supermassive Black Hole... just if anyone's wondering how they can be applied in live guitar work.

As for me, I have a ZVex Fuzz Factory and a Zoom G2.1u but I can't make them chain friendly. If I run the Fuzz Factory straight to my (crappy Fender Frontman 15R) amp and have a little bit of overdrive on the amp it sounds pretty nice. If I chain the Fuzz Factory before the G2 with a bit of overdrive in it, it sounds crap. Same with if I chain it after the G2 (as you would really expect for this type of fuzz pedal).

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I get them to play nice? The Fuzz Face modelling fuzz in the G2 is pretty decent, but it's not got anything like the versatility and awesomeness of the self-oscillating fuzz factory.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Vanmani posted:

As for me, I have a ZVex Fuzz Factory and a Zoom G2.1u but I can't make them chain friendly. If I run the Fuzz Factory straight to my (crappy Fender Frontman 15R) amp and have a little bit of overdrive on the amp it sounds pretty nice. If I chain the Fuzz Factory before the G2 with a bit of overdrive in it, it sounds crap. Same with if I chain it after the G2 (as you would really expect for this type of fuzz pedal).

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I get them to play nice? The Fuzz Face modelling fuzz in the G2 is pretty decent, but it's not got anything like the versatility and awesomeness of the self-oscillating fuzz factory.

The Fuzz Factory really has to be first in the chain (or, at least, after only TB pedals - you don't want to compromise the peculiar relationship of the input impedance to the guitar pickups' output impedance). My experience with the Zoom G2 to G9.2tt are that they can be configured to be very transparent. I was easily able to achieve unity gain with my G9.2tt. It might not be so easy with the lower end units, though.

I would honestly recommend that you pick up a better amp with an effects loop and run the G2 in the effects loop. Why in the world are you buying a Fuzz Factory to run into a 15W Fender practice amp anyway? That's putting the cart before the horse :)

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

3toes posted:

Crank the mids! Sounded a little scooped for my tastes. Or maybe it was the other effects. Just engage the muff'n leave the other stuff off.

On the Muff'n, the mids and bass are at 3 o'clock, with the treble at 9 o'clock. It gets way too bright if you put it up any higher, especially with the Bassman's bright switch on.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

The Fuzz Factory really has to be first in the chain (or, at least, after only TB pedals - you don't want to compromise the peculiar relationship of the input impedance to the guitar pickups' output impedance). My experience with the Zoom G2 to G9.2tt are that they can be configured to be very transparent. I was easily able to achieve unity gain with my G9.2tt. It might not be so easy with the lower end units, though.

I would honestly recommend that you pick up a better amp with an effects loop and run the G2 in the effects loop. Why in the world are you buying a Fuzz Factory to run into a 15W Fender practice amp anyway? That's putting the cart before the horse :)

The Fuzz Factory has a MOSFET input buffer - there shouldn't be much loading of the pickups like there would be in a Fuzz Face, so it doesn't really matter if it goes first or not.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Reeeally?

Vex claims that he doesn't use any FET stuff. Huh. I've checked his facts on some pedals (and boy does he like the SHO...), but I've never had any reason to look at the Fuzz Factory except to note that it's a zvex-ified fuzz face.

Wonder why it sounds like rear end if you aren't hitting it with the guitar's pickups, then?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The SHO is a single MOSFET boost, he just loving bitches about MOSFETs not being FETs (despite the clue in the name). The Fuzz Factory is actually a SHO into a Ge Fuzz Face that has a bunch of resistors replaced with pots.

I haven't played a Factory myself, so I can't really comment on how it sounds with a buffer in front of it, but I am certain there is an internal buffer in there and I would have thought it would sound the same with or without anything between the pedal and the guitar.

edit: I just looked this up, and it seems the Fuzz Factory has a Si BJT input buffer, not a FET. It is the SHO and Box of Rock (and other SHO based stuff) that uses MOSFETs. I guess a BJT buffer could load a guitar's pickups, so I stand corrected unless someone can back me up.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 9, 2008

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Compressor stuff here:

Where is usually the preferred place to put a compressor in a signal chain? The toys that I have to work with are a Danelectro Wasabi OD plus some BYOC pedals and those are the Shredmaster, Distortion+, and the 5-knob compressor.

the wizards beard posted:

edit: I just looked this up, and it seems the Fuzz Factory has a Si BJT input buffer, not a FET. It is the SHO and Box of Rock (and other SHO based stuff) that uses MOSFETs. I guess a BJT buffer could load a guitar's pickups, so I stand corrected unless someone can back me up.

Thats correct. Messing with the bias resistors on a BJT can cause lots of added load on the input. FETs (especially MOSFETs) area a lot easier to work with if, for example, you're building a push-pull amplifier since they're much simpler to bias.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 9, 2008

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

the wizards beard posted:

The Fuzz Factory has a MOSFET input buffer - there shouldn't be much loading of the pickups like there would be in a Fuzz Face, so it doesn't really matter if it goes first or not.

Oh, it really matters. I knew someone who had their FF pretty deep into their chain and felt very apathetic about the pedal, I told them to put it first and all of a sudden they fell in love. You can't run two Fuzz Factories off of the same guitar signal (via a split cable) because the Fuzz Factory works intimately with your pickups and they cancel each other out. The further it is from first position the worse the pedal sounds. 2nd or 3rd in the chain is fine if its after true bypass pedals but really its got to be first to get the complete mojo.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Minto Took posted:

Compressor stuff here:

Where is usually the preferred place to put a compressor in a signal chain? The toys that I have to work with are a Danelectro Wasabi OD plus some BYOC pedals and those are the Shredmaster, Distortion+, and the 5-knob compressor.

If you like your ODs touch-sensitive, as in the harder you play, the more distorted the sound gets, put them first. Comps can be good for long, sustainy leads in front of a distortion pedal too, so a good setup might be light dirt -> comp -> heavy dirt.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

screammachine posted:

Oh, it really matters. I knew someone who had their FF pretty deep into their chain and felt very apathetic about the pedal, I told them to put it first and all of a sudden they fell in love. You can't run two Fuzz Factories off of the same guitar signal (via a split cable) because the Fuzz Factory works intimately with your pickups and they cancel each other out. The further it is from first position the worse the pedal sounds. 2nd or 3rd in the chain is fine if its after true bypass pedals but really its got to be first to get the complete mojo.

This seems to be the case with my newly-purchased little big muff as well. If I put it before the autowah, I get autowah and fuzz with them both on. Sounds pretty neat. If I do it the other way, it sounds really quiet and crappy.

Might just be because of what the autowah does, though. No idea.

Also, I discovered that pedals drain the battery if you have the input plugged in, even if the pedal is off. I'm not sure why the all do this, but the internet seems to tell me they do. Seems like some pretty ridiculous engineering.

9volts are expensive these days :downs:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If the footswitch actually turned the power off, you would hear weird noise every time you turned the pedal on or off - you can try and pull a battery or power cable to hear this. It's easier to keep them on all the time and have the switch decide whether they pass a signal or alter it.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Agreed posted:

By tweaking the overdrive settings and making sure the G2's compression is turned off I can get an alright sound I've discovered.

And yes, the practice amp is pretty goofy but good amps are so phenomenally expensive here in Australia (as with all music gear for some reason). Literally twice as much as you guys would pay, even with our dollars being almost equal. So for when I'm at home it just has to do the job. Not like I ever turn the volume past 2 at home anyway . :(

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

ZombiePeanut posted:

Also, I discovered that pedals drain the battery if you have the input plugged in, even if the pedal is off. I'm not sure why the all do this, but the internet seems to tell me they do. Seems like some pretty ridiculous engineering.

9volts are expensive these days :downs:

That's normal. I don't remember the exact technical explanation, but the presence of the cable in the input jack completes the circuit in some cases, and in some cases it's essentially the power switch.

You can usually just back it out a bit and it'll turn off (many pedals use a stereo input jack for that reason - you can leave it plugged into the partly-in first indent and not worry about battery drain).

Personally, I got sick of the whole battery thing (except for my handy Behringer GDI21 Sansamp G2 clone, which I keep a battery in "just in case"). I use individual 200mA Danelectro adapters for every pedal on my board, and plug them into good surge protectors. That way, the pedals are never underpowered (some of them, such as my RF-1 Marshall Reflector, are really sensitive to underpowering), and I can turn everything off at the surge protector and leave it all plugged in. Plus, two of my pedals take whacky high-current moon adapters, and it would suck having to deal with them seperately. Or so I tell myself.

I don't trust all-in-one power supplies under $300, and with 12-13 pedals or so at $10 an adapter I'm still well under that. Wire hell, of course.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 10, 2008

Impper
May 10, 2003

mono posted:

There's a Small Stone phaser on, a Boss DD2 delay, and the English Muff (going to my Bassman). Gain is at about 1 o'clock. The guitar is my Parker Nitefly. The Bassman has the bright switch on, Treble at 10, Bass at 10, Master Volume at 10, and channel volume at 1.5 :ssh:

Heh, I have almost the exact same setup as you (nitefly M/bassman), play with chorus and delay mostly was thinking of getting the Muff'n to add some edge. The funny thing is I play almost nothing like you :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

This might not be the right place for this but I dont think it warrents a new thread. Are there any good software acoustic guitar simulators?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

screammachine posted:

I did this with my Beano Boost. First I had it sitting after my Wah and OC-2 and was really disappointed with it. The sound was really thin and grating. I started having second thoughts about the whole treble boost thing but then moved to the beginning of the chain...

Holy gently caress it was good; exactly the sound I was looking for. I couldn't believe it was just because I had two buffered pedals (switched off) in front of it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can anyone recommend a good stomp tuner that doesn't cost a fortune?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

RationalAppeal posted:

define "A Fortune"

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

RationalAppeal posted:

The Boss TU2 is sort of the standard stomp tuner. Generally, they're pretty good. Some people say they're not the most accurate but I've never used one and gone "oh no way is this in tune its off 1 cent".

There is also the Korg Blackout, which looks nice and simple, as well as being true-bypass. It is around $100.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

screammachine posted:

The Boss TU2 is sort of the standard stomp tuner. Generally, they're pretty good. Some people say they're not the most accurate but I've never used one and gone "oh no way is this in tune its off 1 cent".

There is also the Korg Blackout, which looks nice and simple, as well as being true-bypass. It is around $100.

Yeah I definitely recommend the Boss one from checking out other people's gear. If it's the standard I'm sure it's good enough for me, I'm not playing anything that requires absolute perfect tune.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Since I run a lot of gain in my setup, I'm looking at noise gates and suppressors. What are some that you guys have used and what did you think about them?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
I have a TU2 that I love dearly. That being said, I've heard that the PlanetWaves stompbox tuner tracks extremely fast and accurately.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The way I see it, I may not be the best guitar player out there, so the least I can do is make sure I start out in tune. Having a good pedal tuner (Like the TU-2 or Planet Waves one) lets you get yourself back in tune in less than 30 seconds every few songs. If your guitar isn't going out of tune while you're playing, you're not playing hard enough.

Never used the Planet Waves one, but it looks pretty nice. My TU-2 looks like it's been thrown down a cliff, but it's reliable and easy to use. Two thumbs up from me.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

bisticles posted:

If your guitar isn't going out of tune while you're playing, you're not playing hard enough.

Eh... I dunno about that. I routinely do full+ step bends and everything stays in tune. Just normal grover tuners and a tune-o-matic bridge.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ZombiePeanut posted:

Eh... I dunno about that. I routinely do full+ step bends and everything stays in tune. Just normal grover tuners and a tune-o-matic bridge.

I was being a little bit cocky there, yeah. I'm just tired of other guitar players who think that they can tune their guitar once before practice and stay in tune the rest of the night. I play with this one guy who's got a Steinberger, and he's always bragging that it "Never needs tuning!". Yet... it's constantly out of tune.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T
What order do you guys suggest I put my boss bluesdriver, vibe, fuzzface clone, and java boost (full/mid/treble boost) in?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

cylyk posted:

What order do you guys suggest I put my boss bluesdriver, vibe, fuzzface clone, and java boost (full/mid/treble boost) in?

if you like the hendrix thing, do vibe before fuzz. I'd suggest boost -> vibe -> fuzz -> bd-2

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 9, 2020

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
You mean Electro-Harmonix doesn't make one?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

mit_senf posted:

I'm looking for a multi-effect analog modulation pedal that has basic chorus, tremolo, flanger, phase, and preferably a rotary speaker simulator. I can't seem to find one that has all those things in one, except for some expensive digital pedals that have tons of extra stuff I don't want.

Are there any pedals out there that come close to this?

The TC Electronics NM1 Nova Modulator isn't analog, but sounds drat nice. Although at $250, it is a tad spendy.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
What would be the best setup to get Fripp's tone in Eno's "Here Come The Warm Jets"? I can't use software for this, any recommendations?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 9, 2020

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

yeah I don't think you'll find an analog pedal like that. Another digital option is the Eventide Modfactor.

Groceries Stealer
Jul 30, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

What would be the best setup to get Fripp's tone in Eno's "Here Come The Warm Jets"? I can't use software for this, any recommendations?

A Les Paul on the neck pickup with the tone rolled down a bit, a volume pedal, a fuzz and a wah. Dial the wah at the desired tone and leave it there. It's hard to be specific but just play around with your settings and you will quickly obtain something similar. His setup in the 70's was pretty basic.

Here's a 1974 interview with him where it talks about his equipment with more details:

http://www.elephant-talk.com/wiki/Interview_with_Robert_Fripp_in_Guitar_Player_(1974)

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Oh yeah, and I don't know who I can ask about this...

I have a Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun, which has a gate mode and an oscillation mode. If I place it anywhere in the chain other than first, the oscillation mode gives ear piercing squealing. Why is that?

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Susano-maku da! posted:

Oh yeah, and I don't know who I can ask about this...

I have a Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun, which has a gate mode and an oscillation mode. If I place it anywhere in the chain other than first, the oscillation mode gives ear piercing squealing. Why is that?

Probably because the circuit works intimately with the signal from you guitar and needs a clean path from your guitar/pickups to not sound like rear end. This is common with any decent fuzz pedal.

Kweh! Wark! Kweh!
May 16, 2008

Meat buns? :3:
No one mention Skreddy pedals yet? He makes some of the most amazing, delicious fuzz and overdrive pedals around in my opinion.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1358785688540383136

http://skreddypedals.com/

Also, it was already mentioned but Devi Ever/Effector 13 pedals are really ace for experimental craziness. I ended up accumulating like 8 of them because of how fun they are.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

screammachine posted:

Probably because the circuit works intimately with the signal from you guitar and needs a clean path from your guitar/pickups to not sound like rear end. This is common with any decent fuzz pedal.

Disagree. Some are like this, some aren't. It depends on how it loads the pickups.

My Aramat Effects Mojo Fuzz (modified Fuzz Face) plays along just fine after my (buffered) Danelectro Wasabi OD. I've A/B tested it. And it most definitely is a decent fuzz. :q:

It just depends on the pedal, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
Agreed, you mentioned using VSTs with guitar. I'm poor and way too inexperienced, so I have no business spending money on good effects just yet. I've download VSThost and a few VST effects, but I'd be interested in "FAQs on using VSTs with guitar without having to spend any money, etc."