Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Jonny 290 posted:

i've had antenna 200 feet long and 5 feet long, and if you have an apt balcony with a railing (preferably metal) you want the mfj big stick. https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-2286

it's a 17 foot whip so it's guaranteed to be good on 20 through 10 meters just by setting the length, and it's got a loading coil at the base so you can get it on 30 and even 40 meters.

Also the ic-7300 is the best radio of all time, i have a yaesu ft1000mp but i use my 7300 way more

Could the big stick be attached to something like a tripod instead? My balcony is iron but designed with mostly thin slats so I don't think the stick's mount would be able to grip to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

It looks like it comes with a pipe mount, so you can attach it to a speaker tripod.

I'll also be a contrarian and throw out the Yaesu FT-710 as a radio suggestion. The IC-7300 is fantastic, but the 710 is comparable, and typically a few hundred bucks cheaper.

I picked up one last month and have been happy with it so far.

It also has the least bad menu user interface Yaesu has made to date! :v:

But you really can't go wrong with either.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Supersonic posted:

Could the big stick be attached to something like a tripod instead? My balcony is iron but designed with mostly thin slats so I don't think the stick's mount would be able to grip to it.

Oh sure, that's what my camping setup is. You need counterpoise wires then, though. at least one quarter wave counterpoise for each band you wanna run.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Merv Burger posted:

It looks like it comes with a pipe mount, so you can attach it to a speaker tripod.

I'll also be a contrarian and throw out the Yaesu FT-710 as a radio suggestion. The IC-7300 is fantastic, but the 710 is comparable, and typically a few hundred bucks cheaper.

I picked up one last month and have been happy with it so far.

It also has the least bad menu user interface Yaesu has made to date! :v:

But you really can't go wrong with either.

I've heard good things about its receiver, but the ergonomics make me a little nervous. There's currently a sale on at DX Engineering, and Icom also offers a mail-in rebate which puts the price comparable to the FT-710 AESS so I might jump on that in a few weeks.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Supersonic posted:

I've heard good things about its receiver, but the ergonomics make me a little nervous. There's currently a sale on at DX Engineering, and Icom also offers a mail-in rebate which puts the price comparable to the FT-710 AESS so I might jump on that in a few weeks.

There might be some sales around Hamvention in mid-May as well.

Any Goons going to Xenia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have set up rotator for satellite use and tested it. It worked but i discovered i need to use other type of clamps for my yagi antenna (square boom). and i put the antennas the wrong way so when i want more elevation it stops. classic noob mistakes. also need to consider how to put the cables for the rotator so that it can rotate 360 degrees freely. I am happy i put it 1.5 meters over ground so it is easy to test and fix things.