Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

McRib Sandwich posted:

All I can say is, it's about freaking time Yaesu gave a nod to APRS in their HTs... I just hope this isn't the kind of feature that only lives exclusively in the high-end models. They do support ARTS across their product line, so maybe they'll see APRS as supplanting that kind of role down the line, who knows.
I don't even get the point of the ARTS system in the first place. I know what it's supposed to do, but APRS had been around for a while when my (rev. 1 :shobon: ) FT-100 was made, so it seems like Yaesu was working too hard to reinvent the wheel. It's kind of like the different digital voice modes; there's what, 5 or 6 different "standards", not to mention the public safety/commercial digital standards that no two platforms support? (and they all sound like poo poo!)

edit: I didn't even see that APRS was built in, are there any other radios that have the capability built in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

nmfree posted:

edit: I didn't even see that APRS was built in, are there any other radios that have the capability built in?

Kenwood TH-D7AG, Kenwood TMD-710A.

Goon in the Mist
Jan 6, 2006

Haha, my dad and I took the test a few weeks ago. My dad's an electrical engineer, and he got his extra-class on his first try, which surprised/pissed off the crusty old hams that were running the test.

I'm going to be in China this summer (Beijing specifically), does anyone have a good way to communicate using ham across that kind of distance (china to california.) I was thinking I could use that thing where you hit a repeater that passes it through the internet over to a repeater on the other side, but I forgot what that was called (dstar? d..link? d something.)

Thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That Yaesu is pretty sweet. I'm glad to see them integrating Bluetooth - a very neat and cheap tech that I think is perfect for amateur radio integration.

(And no, I don't want to see some silly amateur-designed flaky Bluetooth clone on ham bands, I'd much rather use my commodity $10 headset, we can put our energies elsewhere)

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Goon in the Mist posted:

Haha, my dad and I took the test a few weeks ago. My dad's an electrical engineer, and he got his extra-class on his first try, which surprised/pissed off the crusty old hams that were running the test.

I'm going to be in China this summer (Beijing specifically), does anyone have a good way to communicate using ham across that kind of distance (china to california.) I was thinking I could use that thing where you hit a repeater that passes it through the internet over to a repeater on the other side, but I forgot what that was called (dstar? d..link? d something.)

Thanks!

http://www.echolink.org/ :)

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I just got back from vacation in the Bahamas. I was disappointed that they don't reciprocate tech licenses with the US, so I was unable to operate. However, when I got there I found no activity on 2m or 70cm. Taking my HT to do some listening was a waste of pack space :(

However, everybody in the area I was in seemed to live on marine band radios. You could call *anybody* in various towns on channel 16, like grocery stores, the town clinic nurse (we had to do this at one point, as a fellow on our boat cut his toe badly hunting for some snails in some mangroves :eek: ) , restaurants, etc. That was pretty neat. Listening to it wasn't as interesting as the local greybeards on the local repeaters, but it was still pretty cool. Boat names are often absurd so its pretty great listening to Papa Nasty calling Harbor View Grocery.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I wonder if they're allowed to use Marine Band on shore like that.

I mean, sure, you have shore facilities such as ports and terminals and the coastguards using it, but anyone else? They'd be unlicensed, surely, right?

I wouldn't think they'd really like people yapping on CH16 in case of emergencies. Were people moving to a free channel after initial contact or just treating it like a party line?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
most of it was pretty short QSOs if they stayed on 16, and anything complicated seemed to move off onto another channel.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So I've been taking the practice tests on the KB0MGA.net site for the General exam and it's getting to the point where I can consistently score ~75-85% depending on the pool of questions I get asked.

Now I know that the FCC exams draw from a huge pool of questions, but are there questions that almost always appear on the exam or is the entire exam random? I noticed on the KB0MGA practice exams (and on the QRZ.com practice exams) that a certain bunch of questions appear frequently. I wonder how much of that is modeled on the test versus just a bad randomization algorithm on the practice pages themselves.

Luckily I have another two weeks or so to really read over the material before testing...

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Well I went through some of the flashcards and practice tests. If things hold up I should be able to get 80-90% on the technician, general and extra tests. I'm not very interested in chit chat on radios though. I'm more interested in novel things that amateurs haven't done or at least perfected yet. Amateur radar looks like it could be interesting. 2D phased arrays and other technologies look interesting as well.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dolemite posted:

So I've been taking the practice tests on the KB0MGA.net site for the General exam and it's getting to the point where I can consistently score ~75-85% depending on the pool of questions I get asked.

Now I know that the FCC exams draw from a huge pool of questions, but are there questions that almost always appear on the exam or is the entire exam random? I noticed on the KB0MGA practice exams (and on the QRZ.com practice exams) that a certain bunch of questions appear frequently. I wonder how much of that is modeled on the test versus just a bad randomization algorithm on the practice pages themselves.

Luckily I have another two weeks or so to really read over the material before testing...

The VE's can select any questions they want from the pool, or they can use standardized ARRL tests, or W5YI tests, or whatever. Remember you can hop on the FCC website (I think it's linked from the OP) to see the entire question pool of every possible question on the exam.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 28, 2019

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jose Pointero posted:

And now for something completely different...

Ouch. My house is directly on an extremely heavily travelled parking lot, and I left my Uniden 396 on the hood of my truck for five hours on a Saturday afternoon. Our property is so urban that people cut through our yard to shortcut to the liquor store, so I was absolutely amazed to notice it still there when I remembered and dashed outside.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 28, 2019

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Jose Pointero posted:

Anyway, a hearty congratulations to you on your purchase of a new home! I hope to reach that point in a few years. Hope it's in a radio-friendly spot! Get your stuff moved and post some pics of your shack.

Seconding the pic request... I'd love to see a proper satellite setup in action! Definitely be sure to document your new setup as it gets constructed, too.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 28, 2019

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Spring 2008 W1AW Frequency Measuring Test Set:

W1AW will conduct a Spring Frequency Measuring Text. This FMT will begin on Wednesday, May 21 at 9:45 PM (EDT) (that's the same as 0145 UTC on May 22), replacing W1AW's normally scheduled phone bulletin. W1AW Station Manager Joe Carcia, NJ1Q, recommends that those planning to participate should listen to W1AW transmissions prior to the event to determine which band -- or bands -- will be best for measurement purposes.

For this FMT, participants are asked to measure the frequency of an audio tone, given an exact frequency for the carrier signal. The tone will be between 1000-2500 Hz. The carrier frequencies will be 3990 kHz (LSB), 7290 kHz (LSB), 14290 kHz (USB) and 18160 kHz (USB).

The techniques for measuring a modulating tone are described in the November 2004 QST in an article on the Frequency Measuring Test by H. Ward Silver, N0AX. The article can also be found at, http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/fmt/2004/04fmtsilver.pdf. The FMT Web page also has several interesting articles about measuring on-the-air signal frequencies.

The FMT will start with a general QST call from W1AW at exactly 0145 UTC, transmitted simultaneously on the frequencies listed above. The test will consist of three 60-second key down transmissions for each band, followed by a station identification. The test will last for approximately 15 minutes and will end with station identification. W1AW will identify before, during and after the transmissions. There are no plans at this time for a West Coast station.

As in the November 2007 FMT, your report should be submitted via the FMT Report form web site at, http://www.b4h.net/fmt/fmtentry.php. Along with your call sign and e-mail address, enter your most accurate measurement on each band. There will be a window to list your equipment, describe the method you used to make the measurements and enter any Soapbox comments. Participants have 14 days to input their data. Participants may input their data more than once, although the final entry will be the one used for the results.

W1AW will post the transmitted frequencies on the W1AW FMT Web site shortly following the test. This will allow participants to quickly determine the accuracy of their equipment and methods. A complete package of results will be available via the FMT Web site after the 14-day reporting period is concluded.

The results from the November 2007 FMT are available on the 2007 FMT Results Web site at, http://www.b4h.net/fmt/fmtresults200711.php .
If you go to the websites listed, there's a ton of complicated procedures for testing the audio tone's frequency; I'll be doing it the easy (i.e. lazy) way by running a software audio spectrum analyzer while the test is going on.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Jose Pointero posted:

We fell down to page 6? What the hell guys.

20 meter has been hot the past couple days. I've heard a couple DX stations but of course they got piled-on and I couldn't get through. And we had 3 little sunspots the last time I checked.

Yeah... no kidding. I've been hearing southern California, Bonnaire (Netherlands Antilles) and the British Virgin Islands in Central NC. I tried each, but CA is to far for my 100 watts and W5GI, and my antenna is pointed ENE - WSW so hitting the Caribbean is out of the question too :(

I did make a couple Europe contacts a week or so ago on 20M too though... it's been interesting.

I am able at least to relaibly get in to any state from about Texas to Ohio back east. I think in the last two weeks I've gotten most of the east coast and parts of the midwest, plus the aforementioned Texas and Ohio... Now I just need to work on the antenna stuff a bit and hopefully I'll be heard better west of the Mississippi.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Jose Pointero posted:

We fell down to page 6? What the hell guys.

20 meter has been hot the past couple days. I've heard a couple DX stations but of course they got piled-on and I couldn't get through. And we had 3 little sunspots the last time I checked.

drat do I need to get my hands on a good soldering station. My screwdriver antenna is just sitting here with a bare 20-foot run of RG-58 that I can't put the UHF connectors on because I don't have the right tools to do it with. I'd take pics of the rig otherwise (in the hopes that it would get others to post theirs too, hint hint), but my camera met an untimely death at the hands of a car door just a couple weeks ago :argh:

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 28, 2019

OFFENSIVE USERNAME
Mar 19, 2005

I visited TCC and all I got was this lousy avatar

Goon in the Mist posted:

Thanks!

You're thinking of VoIP. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure Google would be helpful.

As far as talking on the radio over that distance, you're going to need an HF radio with some decent power and a beam antenna to direct your signal. It's a lot of big equipment, so you will either have to have it shipped or just buy it over there.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

welp

As of tonight, I'm now KC9GJC/AG. Hopefully I'm getting a new call (I didn't know if I needed to check the box on the VEC paperwork, and I wasn't going to ask.). Oh, well, doesn't matter, really.

Oh, and [ASK] me about being at a VEC session where there were 7 VEs and 4 people taking the test. :v:

Jose Pointero posted:

Well I did some more checking and 2 of the spots faded and we're left with this little guy who will probably be gone soon :(
It's like in the movie Supertroopers: "Oh, that little guy? Don't worry about that little guy."

Jose Pointero posted:

I've been thinking though, we need to get together and come up with a "Goon Frequency Plan" or "Goon Band Plan" or [insert catchy name here]. Basically just a set of frequencies in every mode of every band that we can CQ on to see if any other goons are on the air before we look elsewhere. Good idea? Dumb idea? You tell me.
We could be like the PSK people, except instead of being on the '70s, we could be on the '69s. For example, 7069 for RTTY/PSK and 7269 for SSB on 40m, 14069 for RTTY/PSK and 14269 for SSB on 20m. Of course, I'm super juvenile (and looking for an obscene vanity call :v: ).

edit: K1CUF and K4CUF are both available... :v:

Jose Pointero posted:

is that image breaking the tables? I'm using a widescreen TV as a monitor so it's hard for me to tell
You're good.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 21, 2008

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

nmfree posted:

Of course, I'm super juvenile (and looking for an obscene vanity call :v: ).

edit: K1CUF and K4CUF are both available... :v:

If you're a Rush fan KØYYZ is open, which is also cool because they play the letters 'YYZ' in the opening in cw.

I think the hamsexy guys took all the *WTF ones already, but you should check. Also Congrats on general!

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

McRib Sandwich posted:

drat do I need to get my hands on a good soldering station. My screwdriver antenna is just sitting here with a bare 20-foot run of RG-58 that I can't put the UHF connectors on because I don't have the right tools to do it with. I'd take pics of the rig otherwise (in the hopes that it would get others to post theirs too, hint hint), but my camera met an untimely death at the hands of a car door just a couple weeks ago :argh:

If you are looking for a station you might try a SP200 for 260ish from HMC electronics. Otherwise the OKI PS800 is a cheaper alternative.

quote:

I'm planning on doing this myself as well. Hopefully I won't piss them off too badly.

How many of you guys are actual radio builders? I'm interested in amateur radio but I could really care less about much of the social aspect. I'm more interested in technology aspects. AMSAT is pretty interesting, but outside of a few hot spot cities it doesn't seem possible to really participate int the technology aspects of it. The microwave and satellite bands seem interesting as well from a technical standpoint. I guess my goal with this whole thing is trying to do things that other hams haven't done yet technology wise.

An amateur radio performance equivalent to the DSN would be interesting. SETI did some good work with their array. It would also be topical since AMSAT is in the planning stages of a microsat mars mission. Full decoding of GPS hasn't been done yet either. There is a ton of stuff that can be done like ionosphere compensation using the P(Y) code. L2C support, WAAS would be nice. Also developing terrestrial transmitters for very precise positioning over a small area. Staarfire is a good example of this, some receivers can get centimeter level precision with local transmitters.

I'd really like to see the amateur community push the technology a lot more than they seem to. It seems like DXing, RACES and other activities are more what the community is about. Or maybe its just my area (west MI).

For my next project though I think I am going to build up some basic things I need. A GPS disciplined OCXO will let me get a tight frequency base. Not sure what I will do after that. Maybe another SDR RX/TX of some sort and some analysis equipment. A precise freq counter, SWR meter and a few other tools would be useful.

ValhallaSmith fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 21, 2008

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

blugu64 posted:

I think the hamsexy guys took all the *WTF ones already, but you should check. Also Congrats on general!
Thanks, and there are a couple of WTF ones that I could grab, I suppose.

So I get back from passing my test, and my FT-100 decided that the AM/SSB receive isn't going to work anymore. :smith: Apparently, there's not much that can be done because Yaesu doesn't support the radio anymore. So, now I have a $400 dual band V/UHF radio that isn't very reliable on either band (the finals are made out of paper or something).

Guess it's back to using my FT-757 that likes to drift all over the place :smith: :smith:

ValhallaSmith posted:

I'm planning on doing this myself as well. Hopefully I won't piss them off too badly.
The VEs encouraged me to try the Extra test while I was there tonight- I maybe got 10 questions correct (out of 50, for those who don't know). The VE was a little taken aback when he came out to tell me my score and I said " :v: So how bad was it?" ...he had forgotten that I had already passed the General test.

DaveNull
Nov 18, 2000

like a penis

Jose Pointero posted:

is that image breaking the tables? I'm using a widescreen TV as a monitor so it's hard for me to tell
Augh, the scrollbar! It burns! The rule says 800 pixels.

IIPunnII
Nov 4, 2006

by Fistgrrl
So if I wanted to get started in this and got my license... how much does an average ham radio actually cost, starting with nothing?

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

nmfree posted:

welp

As of tonight, I'm now KC9GJC/AG. Hopefully I'm getting a new call (I didn't know if I needed to check the box on the VEC paperwork, and I wasn't going to ask.). Oh, well, doesn't matter, really.

Congrats on the upgrade! I'll add it to the OP soon. I'm actually studying to become a VE as we speak, so that's interesting in and of itself. As for the new call, my newfound VE training says that unless you specifically requested a new sequential call from the pool upon upgrading, you should be keeping your original call.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

IIPunnII posted:

So if I wanted to get started in this and got my license... how much does an average ham radio actually cost, starting with nothing?

Heh, that's a loaded question. If you're buying new, a little handheld FM transceiver can be $200 or less if you look around, and definitely cheaper than that if you get a hand-me-down. The handheld radios work in the VHF/UHF bands, so they'll be for communicating locally, but a lot of them have wide-coverage receive too (which lets you listen to local business and public safety radios, aircraft band, etc.)

Desktop rigs can really run a wide range depending on how old or used you buy. Probably one of the best ways to get a lead on cheap ham stuff is to find a local ham radio club and see if they have a for sale / trade list. Some clubs have a lot of older rigs they will loan to their members to get them on the air, too. When you're just starting out as a ham, the technician-level license doesn't give you a great deal of operating privileges on the lower bands, so usually a handheld is a decent first radio to get. It's nice that they're inherently portable, too.

The Yaesu FT-60R has come up a few times in this thread as a great HT to own. Generally speaking, the other hams I know (college-age) all have an HT, as we do some public safety nets around here; others also have a mobile rig for their car, and a couple people own desktop rigs too. Most of them are only technicians though, so it makes sense that they don't own any lower-band gear (of which almost all desktop rigs today are).

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah, I settled on the FT-60R largely because it has three knobs instead of one or two like most of the other current multi-band HTs. I just ordered it new from Universal for just about $200. Of course that doesn't include the other stuff I couldn't turn down like headset, extra power cord, ... also it is backordered until the end of the month. Dammit!

On another topic, does anybody know of any ARDF going on in Tennessee?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
As long promised, I took pictures of the station in its current form. Pardon the mess, I haven't mowed the back or cleaned my desk in a minute.

The main mast, 15 feet of metal, Alliance U-100 rotator, then 4 feet of PVC ending in a T fitting and a 4 foot crossboom. On the ends are 145.8 and 436.0 MHz Yagis using 1/4" aluminum rod stock and OWA element spacing - direct 50 ohm feed. The 2 meter antenna in particular is awesome, it has ridiculous bandwidth. They're pointed at the horizon, usually stay that way. I have experimented with tilting them up but you lose too much signal at the horizon, where path loss is highest. I can hear AO-51 over the top on high passes no problem off the sidelobes.

Behind it on the fence, my 40m-10m (really 30m-10m) vertical. It's a Hy-Gain AV-18VS clamped to the fence with a bunch of radials too. It's.....meh. It would work a lot better if I got a larger lot and was able to place it away from the house.

Rrrrrrrrrrradials. Looks pretty much the same on the other side of the fence.

On the back fence, you can see my 40 meter inverted V dipole. The sun washes out the elements, but you can see the coax choke at the feedpoint up there.

On the side of the house I have a Diamond F23 2 meter vertical on another 15 foot mast, and the little PVC mast holds a 440 Mhz vertical folded dipole (coathanger) and 4:1 balun, for my scanner and PCR100s.

Around front you can see my 75 meter inverted L. The landlord chopped down the 20 foot bush so it's more of a sloper now.

From the front, the setup is pretty camo.

Around the side, you can see nature assaulting my feedlines. I should probably sort that.

Count 'em!

They of course lead....

Inside!

Left to right, top row:
Kenwood AT-230 tuner
Old wattmeter of unknown origin, pretty accurate
MFJ 2m/440 cross needle meter
Alliance U-100 control box

Left side: 2x Icom PCR-100 wideband receiver

Bottom row:

Icom 735
Icom 271
Icom 475 (my child)
Compaq Armada 600 MHz P3 laptop running XP - rock solid and great for this stuff

:fap:

Truck rig. Icom 208H into a Larsen dual band vertical on the mirror.

I love how my 102" whip makes it look like some crazy RC car. Loads up okay with my tuner on 40 meters and up on camping trips, but I have a 58 foot long piece of wire with an alligator clip that I clip on the end and throw in a tree usually, works fine on 75 and up. You can kind of see the 2 meter antenna on the driver's mirror.

240sx rig. Ancient Alinco DR-119. It has unblocked 800 MHz, kind of neat, I usually pack my 396 when I'm driving, though.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Pretty nice setup you got there. I've only got a few 2m rigs. An Icom IC-2200H in my truck and a kenwood tr-7625 setup as a base station in the house.

Anyone talked to the ISS, or a shuttle while its up? All the talk about how the next several days are going to be good for viewing the ISS got me to look up the frequency and try and get them.

e: its late.. we're in region 2 DUh..

voice downlink 145.8
voice uplink 144.49

mwdan fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 22, 2008

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Those ancient Kenwoods are BULLET. PROOF. I had a TR-7800 as my first radio, $75 from a hamfest, and we had to work for weeks to find a six pin mic connector, they were evidently used for approximately 42 minutes and then everybody moved to 8-pins. Fun times. That rig got beaten to hell and back, I mounted it on my Huffy mountain bike with a vertical dipole and 7 amp-hour gel cell and talked simplex from the woods. God, such a nerdy kid.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
This one has a 5-pin connector, though, only 4 are used. Haven't been able to track one down, so I had to rewire this one completely. I think theres a problem with the pickup, because every time I use it, I'm told its quiet as hell. But, I got it, along with an Icom IC-220S and an Azden PCS-3000 for $25 at the local hamfest last year.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

If you're looking for an unsusual mic connector, Buxcomm is the place to go. He has an atrocious website, but he also carries just about every microphone connector ever used in ham/commercial radio. They even had new 3 pin mic plugs for my IC-22!

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
Is it possible to take all the class exams (Technician, General, Extra) one right after another the same day? From what I can tell I have a good month+ before the next exam in my area and I wouldn't mind studying for all three in the mean time.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
absolutely. As long as you pass the required test, you can take the next one in order. I took all three when I did mine, and only missed extra by I think 12 or 15 points. Which wasn't bad for not having looked at the question pool at all.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I did that last January, went from tech +, took General and Extra.

Most stressful 5 minutes I had were while they were grading the General. Hams are super stoked when people get multiple upgrades, and everybody cheers when somebody goes from no ticket to Extra in one session.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Haha! In my case it was less cheering and more of the flabbergasted "Dang, did you study for all those?" But everyone was supportive, even the VE who talked like he wanted to bring back the original code requirements. And yes, it can be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Jonny 290 posted:

Those ancient Kenwoods are BULLET. PROOF. I had a TR-7800 as my first radio, $75 from a hamfest, and we had to work for weeks to find a six pin mic connector, they were evidently used for approximately 42 minutes and then everybody moved to 8-pins. Fun times. That rig got beaten to hell and back, I mounted it on my Huffy mountain bike with a vertical dipole and 7 amp-hour gel cell and talked simplex from the woods. God, such a nerdy kid.

Kenwood just absolutely perplexes me... they can't even standardize across their own hardware. Every time a new rig comes out, something stupid and unnecessary has changed on it, usually for no discernible reason. Like how none of their mobile rigs let you plug the microphone into the head unit. Or how none of their head units even mount to the radio itself. :psyduck:

You really can't beat the TS-2000 for a do it all HF/VHF/UHF rig, though, I'll give it that. For all the features it has, that thing's a steal.

McRib Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 23, 2008