Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wardriving ah cool!

You know, you should just give each antenna it's own wifi receiver. Don't gently caress around with the diplexer, it will be cheaper and easier anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hmmm, I do have a galaxy S5 kicking around. Can WiGLE use an external usb nic through an OTG cable?
Their Android app just uses the standard Android WiFi APIs (thus the throttling to uselessness on Android 9, so I'd assume it most likely does not support USB WiFi adapters. I could be wrong though, it's not technically impossible.

If your phone is rooted I'd bet you could get it working with Kismet just as any other Linux box.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eh, half the point of my setup is the big gnarly antennas that pick stuff up from far off.

I guess Netstumbler still works and actually works with wigle, so I’ll try that out

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Eh, half the point of my setup is the big gnarly antennas that pick stuff up from far off.

I guess Netstumbler still works and actually works with wigle, so I’ll try that out

Could always plug it in to a Raspberry Pi, add a cheap USB GPS, and have a portable logging setup that you could throw in the back of a car or even in a backpack and just walk around with.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Is monitor-mode scanning still a thing like it was on Prism 2 wifi chips? Or is the closest to that scanning with some kind of SDR?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is monitor-mode scanning still a thing like it was on Prism 2 wifi chips? Or is the closest to that scanning with some kind of SDR?
Yes. Here's a partially complete table of what drivers support what: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers

Intel and Atheros chips are generally well supported, other brands may vary.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

If you think WiFi isn't ham radio checkout AREDN. Hello, channel -2!

(Do not use AREDN to replace your home network. Encrypting communications on the ham bands is illegal outside of very specific emergency response situations.)

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Wardriving! I used to do that with my laptop and a bluetooth GPS that was wired into the 12V supply in the back of my old 4Runner that I think cost like $70 at the time. I haven't done that in a long long time and I kinda want to now that we have Raspberry Pis and 2.4GHz yagi that cost like $8. I already have a USB GPS and a wifi dongle with an RP-SMA jack... great now you've just put another shovelful of project in my project pile.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

From my research, all of the scanning is done with actual WiFi devices. SDR would involve an extra analog to digital conversion that the WiFi devices are already doing.

Tons of WiFi devices sold today can monitor for SSIDs no problem. “Promiscuous mode” is a thing of the past

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Over on r/amateurradio a California ham wrote up his experience using ham radio during the PG&E blackouts and wildfires. It's very long so I won't copy it but it's worth a read and has some good practical advice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tons of WiFi devices sold today can monitor for SSIDs no problem. “Promiscuous mode” is a thing of the past
Sounds like you're confusing three different things.

Any wireless device can send out a probe frame asking for a specific SSID (which is how they connect to a "hidden" SSID and ironically makes every client advertise that network's existence) or with that field set to null just asking for any APs configured to beacon on the channel to respond. Anything in a PC and most embedded devices can also passively listen for APs sending beacons.

Promiscuous mode applies once you're connected to a network, it determines whether or not your network driver silently drops any data frames from that network not addressed to your hardware or broadcast. Almost every PC network device supports this, but its utility on modern encrypted networks is limited.

Monitor mode is basically the same thing but a level higher, allowing you to passively monitor all the frames on the channel regardless of which network they're on, including management frames. If you can do this, you can see any "hidden" networks as long as there is traffic and you can also capture handshakes to potentially crack any security involved. Most wireless devices do not support this, though those that do are readily available.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah probably. I haven’t thought about wardriving since the early 2000’s

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

back in the day a friend of mine decided to try wardriving, unfortunately he went to the local rich folks neighborhood around the same time school was getting out and got the cops called on him because people thought he was a pedo scoping out the kids

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao. That is a worry of mine, while pokemoning access points sometimes I have to drive a block multiple times. Thankfully the antennas are in the car. I don’t know if it would be better or worse with the antennas on the outside.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a plan to fake-livery my white Expedition up with a magnetic sign for some fake but official utility company and buy a couple cheap road cones on Amazon. Maybe some made-up fleet numbering in white decals on the rear window. nobody will question that poo poo.

it's like faux-utility-whackering but just so nobody gets sketched out by my radio truck lol. a friend came in from SF, i picked em up at the airport and they were all "Yeah, if i saw this thing parked outside my house i wouldnt know to call the cops or call the not-the-regular-cops"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wardriving rig 2.0

I got sick of having the antennas on the window and the surface tablet knocking around the car, so I decided to build an all in one solution

It’s a Getac T800 8.1” Windows 10 machine. It’s an Atom Z8700 quad core processor with 8gb(!) of ram. I fabbed up an antenna mount out of some powder coated aluminum stock and a tablet holder.

Now I just need a shorter tripod. My current one is too tall and the antennas hit the ceiling of my car

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

d0s posted:

back in the day a friend of mine decided to try wardriving, unfortunately he went to the local rich folks neighborhood around the same time school was getting out and got the cops called on him because people thought he was a pedo scoping out the kids
I drove for Skyhook back when they paid college kids minimum wage to drive around their cities with a GPS-equipped Pocket PC stuck to their windshield and ended up having basically the opposite problem. At the time I drove an ex-cop Crown Vic and aside from the wardriving rig I had a CB radio and Sirius in the thing, so there were four different antennas stuck to the roof. On multiple occasions I was accused of being with some government agency spying on something.

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a plan to fake-livery my white Expedition up with a magnetic sign for some fake but official utility company and buy a couple cheap road cones on Amazon. Maybe some made-up fleet numbering in white decals on the rear window. nobody will question that poo poo.

it's like faux-utility-whackering but just so nobody gets sketched out by my radio truck lol. a friend came in from SF, i picked em up at the airport and they were all "Yeah, if i saw this thing parked outside my house i wouldnt know to call the cops or call the not-the-regular-cops"
I remember seeing a post on some car forum a few years back by a guy who bought a white XJ Cherokee and put some generic black text stickers on it plus a mag-mount amber roof flasher:" to look like pretty much any generic minimum-effort utility fleet vehicle. He then went through a series of experiments of how far he could push it, culminating in driving right in to the middle of his college campus or something like that and leaving the truck parked right outside of the building he was in without anyone giving it a second thought.

A fleet-looking vehicle with a few decals can get away with a lot as long as the person behind the wheel looks the part. It's just another level of social engineering, as long as you look and act like you're supposed to be there most people aren't going to question you.

After I read about that there was definitely a part of me that wished I had a white car instead of a black one. AT&T and a few other fleets have Fiestas, so I think I could debadge a Fiesta ST down to look close enough for most people.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Got aprs working on my nearly 34 year old lithium ion runnin 727r. I'm not gonna cut a PTT jack into it so it'll only listen. I'll get full aprs on a esp32 or pi + dra818 or whatever. Not gonna chew up the body on this handheld.

New privileges, new radio.

Bought a 1981 Yaesu FT-902DM. (guy shipped it in an original 901 box)

note husbands deaf Tentec OmniV lurking in the corner. (It's been a project of his for over a year now to get that radio back up and running) (I passed on one based on how much a pain his has been)

Shacks also comin together. PG&E outage killed a week so slowly getting back into the groove again.

Tube finals, auto keyer, and memory functions. why a 902? all mode. It's built with cards so jack em up with a riser for maintenance. I can pull em out, learn how they work, build my own cards and improvements and drop em in. Last of the hybrids with tubes. Love me some tube. It's in really good shape for the age, bordering on minty fresh. It's not yet a project so I can get to chewing (or sending data!) as soon as a new antenna is built.
album: https://imgur.com/a/yDiu9NC

Gonna spend the weekend building better antennas :D

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

A fleet-looking vehicle with a few decals can get away with a lot as long as the person behind the wheel looks the part. It's just another level of social engineering, as long as you look and act like you're supposed to be there most people aren't going to question you.

One of the ShadyTel guys has a big dually pickup with the ShadyTel phone-in-shape logo and the text “TELECOM” under it, and if I wasn’t looking right at it it’d probably just disappear.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have modern CB radios gone full digital these days? I ask because I picked up a set of Cobra HH36 ST CB radios at my local Goodwill (which is loaded with radio gear these days, weirdly). Of course they can still talk to each other and will make for some nice walkie talkies, but are modern CB radios on any kind of technology that these can pick up?

http://www.radiopics.com/CB%20Radio/USA%20CB/1-Handheld/Cobra/Cobra_HH-36ST.htm

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
US CB is still AM/SSB only, no FM or digital voice modes I believe.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have modern CB radios gone full digital these days? I ask because I picked up a set of Cobra HH36 ST CB radios at my local Goodwill (which is loaded with radio gear these days, weirdly). Of course they can still talk to each other and will make for some nice walkie talkies, but are modern CB radios on any kind of technology that these can pick up?

http://www.radiopics.com/CB%20Radio/USA%20CB/1-Handheld/Cobra/Cobra_HH-36ST.htm

AM 4 watts is the CB standard, as that link states, and has always been. Same CB as the 70s, and yes, modern trucker cab CB radios today could talk to those units just fine.

CB is CB is CB, 40 channels of analog AM A3E modulation between 26.965 and 27.405 mhz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the interesting thing about CB is that you're allowed '4 watts' yes and people think that is peanuts. but that's 4 watts _carrier_ power. A properly adjusted AM transmitter should have 100% modulation, meaning 4 watts for each sideband and 4 for the carrier, meaning that you're actually talking about a 12 watt peak output power.

I love CB, gently caress it, it's a fun service, easy to play with. True, you can't build your own radios, but what you _can_ do is set up your own audio stack and modulate it loudly and well. I keep ruminating on trying to find a couple people around town to gently caress with hi-fi CB, run a compressor and broadcast limiter in front and you sound REAL good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CB is interesting to me because it’s an easy and cheap service to transmit on. When you’re like me and have recieve only devices like RTL-SDR’s and whatnot and don’t have a HAM license, that’s a big deal.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

CB is interesting to me because it’s an easy and cheap service to transmit on. When you’re like me and have recieve only devices like RTL-SDR’s and whatnot and don’t have a HAM license, that’s a big deal.

Is it really enough easier and cheaper than the H•A•M tech test (I think I paid $10, but I've seen more free testing lately) to be worth it?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is it really enough easier and cheaper than the H•A•M tech test (I think I paid $10, but I've seen more free testing lately) to be worth it?

H•A•M

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

I'm about to go H·A·M
Hard as a motherfucker, let these boomers know who I am

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I was reading about a kid that is waiting to get his technician because the local elmers won't run a test session until they have 20 people, and he's #11.

Also, if you get out camping or whatever, you can just hand a cb to the other jeep or whatever, no bullshit involved

sure you can get a baofeng for 25 bucks and have a little HT. or you can buy a brand new well-made uniden CB for 40 bucks, it talks to truckers, it's fuckoff simple to operate, no memories to program, ain't gotta gently caress with PL tones

Now i'm gonna go turn on channel 19 and listen for the day, lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s what Jonny said. I got two brand new in box radios for $6.99 at goodwill, no license, no training. I can hand one off to someone, or my kid even, and have some pretty serious 4 watt walkie talkies, or I can pick up CB traffic with them.

I’m not opposed to licensing at all, that’s not it. But transceiver hardware gets pricey

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

holy poo poo lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You know the song, chuds and weird radios go together like birds of a feather

:honk:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I was just practicing sending the vanity callsign I've applied for (but not received yet) using CW, I had (mistakenly) left break-in on and was transmitting into a dummy load at about 30W. I was kinda just repeatedly spamming it for like 30 minutes off and on along with other random bits of commonly used shorthand like CQ and 73 etc, like in an absentminded way while watching stuff on my PC. I never got into the whole fidget spinner thing but sending random morse code scratches that itch for me I guess. I had the squelch on and moved the knob down for a sec and found that someone heard and was responding to my gibberish, and I was picking it up through a dummy load and 3 feet of coax. It wasn't even hard to hear, it was perfectly clear but too fast for me to copy. I didn't try to respond out of embarrassment because lol how do you explain that. When I stopped they stopped and it's silent now. I never even get noise enough to move the s-meter with the load attached, I can spin through all the bands and not hear a thing. Is this guy in my back yard or something? Was I hallucinating?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It’s your dead relative

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

d0s posted:

I was just practicing sending the vanity callsign I've applied for (but not received yet) using CW, I had (mistakenly) left break-in on and was transmitting into a dummy load at about 30W. I was kinda just repeatedly spamming it for like 30 minutes off and on along with other random bits of commonly used shorthand like CQ and 73 etc, like in an absentminded way while watching stuff on my PC. I never got into the whole fidget spinner thing but sending random morse code scratches that itch for me I guess. I had the squelch on and moved the knob down for a sec and found that someone heard and was responding to my gibberish, and I was picking it up through a dummy load and 3 feet of coax. It wasn't even hard to hear, it was perfectly clear but too fast for me to copy. I didn't try to respond out of embarrassment because lol how do you explain that. When I stopped they stopped and it's silent now. I never even get noise enough to move the s-meter with the load attached, I can spin through all the bands and not hear a thing. Is this guy in my back yard or something? Was I hallucinating?

CW carries far. QSO via signal generator and dummy load is a common stunt.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
KD8RWW checking in! Took my technician’s exam seven years ago and bought a handheld Yaesu, but never was able to pick up anything and the whole hobby got lost in the shuffle of life. I’m looking to pick it back up again now that I have a house with which I can build a big fuckoff antennae as well as the funds to buy a decent transceiver.

I’m flipping through the technicians exam study guide to refresh my memory and reading back through the thread as we speak, but can anyone give me some tips or recommendations on a decent transceiver and diy antennae?

E: just bought the ARRL 2020 handbook set which should arrive in a few weeks. I think that’ll probably help get me caught up, plus I found a local club that last posted pictures from 2008, but I’ll see if I can tune in and follow up there. Also going to read up and pick up my general license once the books come in and I get some more theory down.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 9, 2019

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

CW carries far. QSO via signal generator and dummy load is a common stunt.

i like to think that CW is the armor piercing depleted uranium round of ammunitions. plz go underground and stay safe goons.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Big Mackson posted:

i like to think that CW is the armor piercing depleted uranium round of ammunitions. plz go underground and stay safe goons.

Eh, it's just a coding scheme so simple & bandwidth-unintensive that it's hard to miss even in noise.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
It could even be the radio itself and not the antenna/dummy load that's emitting the signal in that case (possibly using the power leads as well).
I have several old VHF mobile radios that will open the local repeater even when it's connected to a high quality dummy load with double shielded coax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What's a good :dong: to plug into an RPi for "An literal babby's first SDR"?

Like, https://www.rtl-sdr.com/ and https://www.desktopsdr.com/ are useful when it comes to software but I'm not sure about hardware. Is it like RAID or 10GbE cards where I'm really just looking for a particular chipset?

Most of the stuff I've googled is either >2 years old or is on the blog of literal seller of what they're using in the blog?