Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mwdan posted:

As long as you pass the required test, you can take the next one in order.

God I'm so jealous of you people. Taiwan's ham rules require Class 3 (tech, essentially) hams to have at least one year's operating experience before they can test for Class 2. Plus the Class 2 test still has a compulsory code section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

TetsuoTW posted:

God I'm so jealous of you people. Taiwan's ham rules require Class 3 (tech, essentially) hams to have at least one year's operating experience before they can test for Class 2. Plus the Class 2 test still has a compulsory code section.

It seems like that would be a very interesting part of the world to be a HAM right now. Anything interesting out of North Korea or Burma?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can't speak for ham radio, since I'm still studying for my Class 3/Tech license, but as far as shortwave goes, Voice of Korea - the North Korean propaganda vehicle - is fantastic, and seems to have recently changed to beefier transmitters too. Burma I get nothing out of, possibly thanks to China being the least considerate user of spectrum imaginable.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

McRib Sandwich posted:

You really can't beat the TS-2000 for a do it all HF/VHF/UHF rig, though, I'll give it that. For all the features it has, that thing's a steal.

I know it's really shallow, but my only problem with those is the fact that they look like somebody took the rig and left it in front of a heat gun for a little too long. I know a lot of people feel this way - I wonder if somebody will come out with a redesigned aftermarket panel to control the TS-2000X, heh.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

After an email exchange with another foreign ham here, I found out that apparently all you need to be eligible for the ARRL license examination is a permanent US mailing address for FCC contact. Can anyone confirm this? And also, if this is right, is there any way I could sort one out, preferably online, even if it's just a PO box or something? I know this sounds weird, but the more I learn about ham licensing here (mostly exemplified by the fact that there are, apparently, only two non-Taiwanese hams who've passed the licensing procedure) the more I want to go do the ARRL volunteer exam here next month and use that to get operating privileges here.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TetsuoTW posted:

After an email exchange with another foreign ham here, I found out that apparently all you need to be eligible for the ARRL license examination is a permanent US mailing address for FCC contact. Can anyone confirm this? And also, if this is right, is there any way I could sort one out, preferably online, even if it's just a PO box or something? I know this sounds weird, but the more I learn about ham licensing here (mostly exemplified by the fact that there are, apparently, only two non-Taiwanese hams who've passed the licensing procedure) the more I want to go do the ARRL volunteer exam here next month and use that to get operating privileges here.

As long as you don't represent a 'Foreign Government' it won't be a problem, however you still need to find a US testing time/location, and here's the kicker even if you get a US license, I didn't see Taiwan or China on this list of countries that the US has signed a reciprocal operating agreement with. However they are on this list, and this link shows hope for getting a taiwanese permit. Hope that helped somewhat.

EDIT: Ok ok, it's coming back to me now, since we don't have a reciprocal agreement with then a US licensed ham cannot go there(or live there in your case) and simply apply for a permit from the Taiwanese government without taking a test, which from that third link makes it seems like 5wpm morse code and the whole thing being in chineese are part of the requirements. Good luck man.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 24, 2008

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Thanks for that. I've got the mailing address thing sorted out, and now I'm waiting on confirmation from my contact here first, but it certainly looks like you hit the nail on the head. Once again Taiwan's retarded political situation (aka "don't piss off the Chinese!") makes doing anything interesting loving absurd.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I'm going to Russia this summer for some fun with volcanology. I was thinking of bring long my radio (HAM goon checking in), but don't know what the situation with US licenses in Russia (or HAM radios in Russia in general) is. Anyone know if this would be possible?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Piuro posted:

So I'm going to Russia this summer for some fun with volcanology. I was thinking of bring long my radio (HAM goon checking in), but don't know what the situation with US licenses in Russia (or HAM radios in Russia in general) is. Anyone know if this would be possible?

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/recip-info_p.html#ua-ui

From the same links above.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 9, 2023

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Sindow posted:

woot passed the extra element. Now all I need are a radio, an antenna and someplace to put them. :)
Welp, I can't help you with the first and last thing, but I'm working on a magnetic transmitting loop right now, and if I can get it to work decently, I'll post some pics in a few days.

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
I will most likely be taking the Technician and the General class exams rather than all three on the same day (hopefully mid-June). Can anyone recommend a good HT or a good (but not expensive...I'm a college student) mobile that can do HF frequencies so I can get the most out of my license?

EDIT: Guess I'm going to be looking for a mobile transceiver. I really want to try out some of the data capabilities in the amateur bands. Can anyone suggest a good (and inexpensive) transceiver for that?

Harpsychord fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 27, 2008

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

dethl posted:

good/inexpensive

Pick one.

Also there arn't any HF HTs that are Transievers (that I know of), though I've seen a few that can do RX on the HF bands.

However the closest thing I can think of to what you are asking is the Yaesu FT-817. It's a QRP HF-70cm (I'm not sure about 60m, 6m, and 1.25m) and I've seen them go used for low $400s. It is also mobile and has internal batteries that you can run it on, only 5watts though.

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Pick one.

Also there arn't any HF HTs that are Transievers (that I know of), though I've seen a few that can do RX on the HF bands.

However the closest thing I can think of to what you are asking is the Yaesu FT-817. It's a QRP HF-70cm (I'm not sure about 60m, 6m, and 1.25m) and I've seen them go used for low $400s. It is also mobile and has internal batteries that you can run it on, only 5watts though.

EDIT: For the time being, it would have to be inexpensive (Less than $300).

I think I've looked at that one. I think I may just start with a simple FM mobile/HT system and will probably upgrade to that (I should probably start small to begin with just in case I don't enjoy amateur radio as much as I think I'm going to). I think to start I will grab a Yaesu VX-7R. Thanks for the suggestion!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

How does Echolink fit in to licensing and operating requirements, especially if just used with a mic and headset on the computer VoIP style? 'cause holy Christ the more I learn about Taiwan's requirements, the more I'm tempted to just sit the US test next month, get my Tech and call, and just use Echolink like that until I'm out of this regulatorily fucktarded country. Would I just need my call, or does Echolink, even just as what amounts to a niche VoIP service, still generally come under radio regulation?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

How does Echolink fit in to licensing and operating requirements, especially if just used with a mic and headset on the computer VoIP style? 'cause holy Christ the more I learn about Taiwan's requirements, the more I'm tempted to just sit the US test next month, get my Tech and call, and just use Echolink like that until I'm out of this regulatorily fucktarded country. Would I just need my call, or does Echolink, even just as what amounts to a niche VoIP service, still generally come under radio regulation?
You have to be licensed for the RF portion of any Echolink communication; I believe that having a Tech license is enough because they all are on VHF/10 meters in the Tech subband.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
What kind of antenna would be recommended if I want something cheap to make or buy, and want the widest range of coverage possible? Also, I'm on a second story apartment, but I have pretty much free range to put anything out on the patio or to tie poo poo to the tree out front. I also know the upstairs neighbors very well and would be able to string something from my patio up to theirs and onto the roof if necessary. Basically, I just want to start out with an antenna that I won't need to upgrade for a while. I plan on testing for extra in a month or so, and I'd like to play around with my new privileges.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

U.S. Barryl posted:

What kind of antenna would be recommended if I want something cheap to make or buy, and want the widest range of coverage possible? Also, I'm on a second story apartment, but I have pretty much free range to put anything out on the patio or to tie poo poo to the tree out front. I also know the upstairs neighbors very well and would be able to string something from my patio up to theirs and onto the roof if necessary. Basically, I just want to start out with an antenna that I won't need to upgrade for a while. I plan on testing for extra in a month or so, and I'd like to play around with my new privileges.

Well, by far, things like antenna height are probably going to matter more than what type of antenna you end up deciding on. Getting a wide coverage range isn't usually the easiest thing to swing (certainly not the cheapest), purely because of things like the laws of physics being a bitch.

It totally depends on what bands you're trying to tune, but for multiband HF, a decent solution might be just as long a random wire as you can manage, paired with something like an Icom AH-4 tuner. That device will tune just about any random wire for HF (as long as the length of the wire isn't too close to 1/2 the wavelength of the frequency being tuned). The random wire tuners will give you the ability to tune most, if not all, of HF rather quickly, and obviously the parts list is dirt simple. The downside is that you have to buy a tuner.

If you really want to go DIY, all you really need is a little knowledge on how to cut and match wires for the bands you want to use, and you can find that from any of a few google searches, or in more formal places like the ARRL Antenna Book. Just remember that without a tuner, it's probably going to be difficult to build one antenna that will work on a large swath of spectrum.

Hope that helps, maybe now someone with more practical antenna experience can chime in and tell me where I screwed that up.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich
On a loosely-related note to antennas, eham.net recently posted a good article on how to effectively crimp coaxial connectors as opposed to soldering them, and what tools to use for best results. If you've ever had to solder a UHF connector, you intimately know why this sucks.

http://www.eham.net/articles/19257

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

U.S. Barryl posted:

What kind of antenna would be recommended if I want something cheap to make or buy, and want the widest range of coverage possible?
Fan dipoles and trapped dipoles are what you're going to be looking at the most, I'd bet. As long as you understand their relative weaknesses and strengths as compared to other antenna types, you'll be OK with either one.

If you're planning on getting a tuner, then your options will become much wider. I would suggest looking around at https://www.cebik.com (you have to register a free account) to see if anything strikes your fancy.

edit: and if you do spring for a tuner, I'd suggest something that has a dummy load built in so you can kill two birds with one stone.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Thanks to both of you for your advice. I figure it sounds like the best thing would be to tune a long wire, so I went ahead and ordered a tuner. I have an Icom IC-718 which automatically drives the AH-4 McRib mentioned. I found one on ebay for way cheap and in supposed "Mint-Like new" condition. It says it can tune any wire 23 feet and up, but would it tune a vertical like the buddistick? (https://www.buddipole.com) Also, from what I read, it says the ground is very important. So would you suggest grounding it to a pipe driven a couple feet into the ground? This is all a bit confusing, since I'm so new and trying to dive in head first.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

U.S. Barryl posted:

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I figure it sounds like the best thing would be to tune a long wire, so I went ahead and ordered a tuner. I have an Icom IC-718 which automatically drives the AH-4 McRib mentioned. I found one on ebay for way cheap and in supposed "Mint-Like new" condition. It says it can tune any wire 23 feet and up, but would it tune a vertical like the buddistick? (https://www.buddipole.com) Also, from what I read, it says the ground is very important. So would you suggest grounding it to a pipe driven a couple feet into the ground? This is all a bit confusing, since I'm so new and trying to dive in head first.

A longwire into a tuner is basically just a big-rear end vertical antenna (aka a monopole). Monopole antennas require a good ground plane (also referred to as an image plane or counterpoise) to function properly. Without getting into the ugly specifics of antenna theory, the antenna's ground plane essentially acts as the phantom other half of a dipole antenna (dipoles don't require any counterpoise). Without a good ground plane, antenna losses can be pretty big (20dB or more, depending).

A common way of providing a good ground plane for your antenna is to run radials into the ground, which may or may not be possible depending on where you deploy your antenna. Admittedly my practical experience with antennas is severely limited by apartment living, so I'll defer to others like Jonny 290 as to the best way to actually provide a good ground plane for your antenna.

edit: I realize that just mentioning "radials" might not be clear in and of itself, but this means to run conductive wires parallel to the ground, and outward in a circle (like the spokes of a bike wheel), with your antenna at the center. Jonny 290 posted a lot of pictures of his setup earlier, including at least one antenna with some radials attached.

McRib Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 2, 2008

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

U.S. Barryl posted:

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I figure it sounds like the best thing would be to tune a long wire, so I went ahead and ordered a tuner. I have an Icom IC-718 which automatically drives the AH-4 McRib mentioned. I found one on ebay for way cheap and in supposed "Mint-Like new" condition. It says it can tune any wire 23 feet and up, but would it tune a vertical like the buddistick? (https://www.buddipole.com)
The neat thing about the buddipoles is that you don't need a tuner for them, you manually change the position of the tap on the loading coils on the antenna itself to tune for whichever band you want to work. Having an autotuner would end up being superfluous.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is really interesting stuff. I'd like to get into it, but I think the route I want to take is building my own radio. I've got lots and lots of spare parts around and I suspect most all I'll need to buy is a VCO for the tuner and proper antenna, as I understand it. Could anyone recommend some good resources for plans/info on building a good reciever?

I'm not looking into transmitting (yet!) due to this licensing business; but if I can get a transmitter built and working I might look into it. I'm currently in Japan and I'd like to see what I can hear in this part of the world before I head back to the states.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If you're just into the listening, East Asia's an interesting place, with some great shortwave stations like Voice of Mongolia and (best of all) Voice of Korea (as in Bad Korea, not Good Korea). There also seem to be a few hams in South Korea transmitting in CW in SW band(s) too, from what I've stumbled across in my listening. If you get your receiver going, I'll be interested to hear what you find over there.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 3, 2008

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Epicenter posted:

This is really interesting stuff. I'd like to get into it, but I think the route I want to take is building my own radio. I've got lots and lots of spare parts around and I suspect most all I'll need to buy is a VCO for the tuner and proper antenna, as I understand it. Could anyone recommend some good resources for plans/info on building a good reciever?

I'm not looking into transmitting (yet!) due to this licensing business; but if I can get a transmitter built and working I might look into it. I'm currently in Japan and I'd like to see what I can hear in this part of the world before I head back to the states.

A 2-second google search turned up this DIY guide to building an HF superhet receiver. If you're electronically-minded, I'm sure that'll get you started in the right direction.

If you're just building an HF receiver, you might also want to look into some direct-conversion receiver designs too, as the overall design of that type is supposed to be less complex than that of a superhet. Unless you have really precise components, though, you may have to integrate a PLL to keep the receiver on frequency. I suspect this is less of an issue on the lower bands, though.

McRib Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 3, 2008

lostchicken
Sep 6, 2004
"Well, I suppose he's... mostly harmless..."
Just another reason that one might want to get involved, ham operators usually are the ones running communications at charity races. I (K9ZAL) do it every once in a while, and it's a whole lot of fun.

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

Well, I just grabbed my Arrow Antenna, HT, and my Powerbook to track A0-51. As it came over the southern horizon, it broke squelch on the downlink, and within a few minutes I was listening to a number of stations exchanging greetings and signal reports. loving awesome. Next time, i'll try and transmit :)

73's Goons, and Clear Skies (for you fellow amateur astronomers in the group).

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Epicenter posted:

If you want to get a little more complicated, the new model of the SoftRock receiver just came out.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

McRib Sandwich posted:

If you're just building an HF receiver, you might also want to look into some direct-conversion receiver designs too, as the overall design of that type is supposed to be less complex than that of a superhet. Unless you have really precise components, though, you may have to integrate a PLL to keep the receiver on frequency. I suspect this is less of an issue on the lower bands, though.
Thanks for the link-- this is a great article.

I think if I don't use an IC with a built-in oscillator I'd build a circuit from a VCO, or a few VCOs selectable with a rotary switch for different ranges. The input voltage would be provided from a stable regulated power supply with two potentiometers on it; one with a wide range of resistance and one with a small one (in series) to act as a coarse and fine adjustment of the power supply to the VCO. That sound.. sound? ;) I'd probably build the whole thing inside an old frequency counter and rig up the tuner frequency to the input circuits to get a constant LED/VFD readout of the freq; put some BNC connectors on it for connection to my oscilloscope etc.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there some good (but not very expensive) PC controlled receivers/transmitters? I'd like something I can tune with a computer, view signal strength, the sort of things you can do with the 'software radio' in the OP, but locally.

Also I've read there are transmissions of text messages and even images via radio, and I'd like a means of decoding and viewing this information. http://arstechnica.com/guide/audio-visual/shortwave/shortwave-6.html -- this article describes using "MixW" with a radio connected via RS232 cable to a PC to interpret this data, and it would even display morse code as readable text. However I can't seem to actually FIND any of these computer controlled modems for sale. :(

Anyone know where I might find one for a reasonable price? Thanks :)

EDIT: seems MixW can read from any audio device, so it's just a matter of finding a radio with an RS232 interface then...

Epicenter fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 3, 2008

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Epicenter posted:

Are there some good (but not very expensive) PC controlled receivers/transmitters? I'd like something I can tune with a computer, view signal strength, the sort of things you can do with the 'software radio' in the OP, but locally.

Also I've read there are transmissions of text messages and even images via radio, and I'd like a means of decoding and viewing this information. http://arstechnica.com/guide/audio-visual/shortwave/shortwave-6.html -- this article describes using "MixW" with a radio connected via RS232 cable to a PC to interpret this data, and it would even display morse code as readable text. However I can't seem to actually FIND any of these computer controlled modems for sale. :(

Anyone know where I might find one for a reasonable price? Thanks :)

EDIT: seems MixW can read from any audio device, so it's just a matter of finding a radio with an RS232 interface then...

MixW is nothing more than an audio DSP app that decodes and encodes various modes. You only need an audio line to decode. To transmit you can either use VOX which will key your radio when there is audio, or you can do the more robust approach of using an RS232 line to key the push to talk line.

There are several PC controlled receivers out there, and maybe a transceiver or two. I have a couple of PCR-100 boxes, they are fun, cheap and get you into the PC scanning world pretty easily. Their actual radio performance is nothing special, but they are very wide band and let you get a taste for many different services.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Welp,

I've studied as much as I can between classes and homework assignments. I'm off to the testing center to take my Technician and General exams. Wish me luck!! :sweatdrop:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Good luck! Take your time, double check your answers.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm looking to get into this and could really use a recommendation on a radio. What I'm looking for is (please pardon my noobishness):
- Ability to hear USB/LSB and CW
- As wide a frequency range as possible
- Some sort of standard connector for an antenna
- An RS232 port for control from PC
- Audio out jack for connection to PC

I want to be able to control the radio and tune/scan via software on my PC, essentially-- and then view things like CW/RTTY/SSTV on the PC.

Also I am trying not to spend too much money, maybe $150 total w/ the radio and antenna. Is there anything out there that would suit my needs for that price? Also if anyone is selling some cheap SW gear I'm very interested. :)

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Epicenter posted:

I'm looking to get into this and could really use a recommendation on a radio. What I'm looking for is (please pardon my noobishness):
- Ability to hear USB/LSB and CW
- As wide a frequency range as possible
- Some sort of standard connector for an antenna
- An RS232 port for control from PC
- Audio out jack for connection to PC

I want to be able to control the radio and tune/scan via software on my PC, essentially-- and then view things like CW/RTTY/SSTV on the PC.

Also I am trying not to spend too much money, maybe $150 total w/ the radio and antenna. Is there anything out there that would suit my needs for that price? Also if anyone is selling some cheap SW gear I'm very interested. :)

Woof. That budget is a deal breaker. You're really going to have to hunt. Nearly any HF transceiver made in the last 15 years will fit the bill but even a TS-440 still commands at least $400 (and usually requires an additional IC to make it talk RS-232!). Antennas are very nearly free if you can scrounge enough wire and 75ohm coax for a dipole. Standard antenna connectors are SO239 / PL259, although N type, BNC, SMA and RCA connectors are standard depending on the era, primary frequency usage etc. etc. For any audio connections to the PC you are going to want at least a 1:1 audio isolation transformer and a 600:1 transformer... Look around for PSK31 to PC connections, if you can set up for PSK31 you can work anything.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I guess RS232 control is out of the question. I was just using the 'software radio' linked in the OP and the ability to view the spectrum and scan with my PC only seemed very appealing. :( I assume this can't be done without such a setup, and I'd have to just view a very small portion of the spectrum at any given time.

Or is that not even a feature of a higher-end reciever? Do they have a separate spectrum analyzer running, there? And the tuning is entirely different monster?

What would be my best bet in an inexpensive tabletop reciever I can just plug into my PC's soundcard input and interpret what I find? I figure I'll just buy an antenna; something that'll work reasonably well indoors or poked out a window will have to do since I can't run anything on the roof etc.

It would just need to meet the other requirements besides RS232 control, and have an LCD/LED/VFD frequency readout.

Thanks again for the advice.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
:woop: :woop:

I passed both the technician AND general exams! I took the extra for giggles and, well, it wasn't pretty. Two columns of 25 questions each, one whole column was red from wrong answers! Oh well.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to F5 the hell out of the FCC database page! :f5:

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Epicenter posted:

I guess RS232 control is out of the question. I was just using the 'software radio' linked in the OP and the ability to view the spectrum and scan with my PC only seemed very appealing. :( I assume this can't be done without such a setup, and I'd have to just view a very small portion of the spectrum at any given time.

Or is that not even a feature of a higher-end reciever? Do they have a separate spectrum analyzer running, there? And the tuning is entirely different monster?

What would be my best bet in an inexpensive tabletop reciever I can just plug into my PC's soundcard input and interpret what I find? I figure I'll just buy an antenna; something that'll work reasonably well indoors or poked out a window will have to do since I can't run anything on the roof etc.

It would just need to meet the other requirements besides RS232 control, and have an LCD/LED/VFD frequency readout.

Thanks again for the advice.

Well, a software spec-an is doable and there are SDRs out there. Just not for $150! :) Well, new an IC-706MKIIG would fit the bill with flying colors. Just get a $10 cable to play RS-232, hook it up with Ham Radio Deluxe. That is likely out of your comfort zone. I think I paid $750 for it? Don't forget, any HF 100W transceiver you get is going to need a powersupply. I have an Astron 25A and that was $100 I think.

On the older side of the house, I have a Kenwood TS-440S/AT that I bought from a friend for $400. They can be fidgety and have problems that require cracking open the case but the problems are well documented and easily resolved (for the most part) if you are handy. They are also retardedly easy to modify for MARS/CAP (open up frequency transmit) and 60M and such. Literally you cut one diode.

Check ebay, nearly any HF transceiver will seriously fit your requirements. I also have a Yaesu FT-817ND which would also fit the bill, but it's seriously cramped but seriously portable and lots of fun.

However, all this being said, your ears are going to be a better "spec-an" than nearly any software package and it's sort of a neat trick but isn't uber useful except for ultra QRP tricks.

If you are space limited, and can't hang a piece of wire out of the window look at buddipoles, just remember any vertical is going to need radials. Really, a long wire and a tuner will get you most anywhere.

For reference I'm a general and have been hamming it for about 5 or 6 years, and when I was a kid with my stepdad who is an Extra. (And got it the hard way, dagnabbit! At the FCC field office at 23 WPM!) Also, ham radio is a lousy spectator sport. Much more fun when you can *do* things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Dolemite posted:

:woop: :woop:

I passed both the technician AND general exams! I took the extra for giggles and, well, it wasn't pretty. Two columns of 25 questions each, one whole column was red from wrong answers! Oh well.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to F5 the hell out of the FCC database page! :f5:

Cool man! Get on the air as soon as you get your call! VHF is for wussies. Real men talk on 160M! :)

Just remember, all you new hams inspired by this thread. Be safe, Ham Radio does things at powerlevels you guys aren't used to. 100W HF will burn, and 5W VHF will boil your eyeballs.