Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I just got my technician license a few weeks ago, and I'm studying for the general license right now. While I'm not too crazy about yapping over the airwaves, I like the digital transfer modes that you can play around with. Slow-scan video looks kind of interesting, and packet radio looks like it could be handy in the event that net access gets spotting during the aftermath of an emergency.

Is there a good software package for tracking communication satellites? I've heard that you can actually see them (and the ISS, too) with the naked eye if you get a clear night and little light pollution.

While the online tests are OK, I much prefer to just go through the entire question pool. That way, you see every question and nothing should come as a surprise. I used the ARRL's study guides for that, since they teach you everything you need to know and refer you to the appropriate questions in the complete question pool that is included in the study guide.

Technician guide: ISBN 0872599639
General guide: ISBN 0872599965
Extra guide: ISBN 0872598659

Watch out for that Extra license guide, though. It's old, and the current question pool will expire around 1 July 2008, but the information itself is still valid.

Greetings from grid EM90ec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

nmfree posted:

https://www.hamsexy.com is a great repository of "whackers" of all sorts. Some of the things/people that they document is truly astounding.
I had never seen this site before, but some of the news stories on there are pretty entertaining...

Hamsexy posted:

The “official” ARES person, guy, fellow, whatever, immediately jumps into action telling people to back up, that this is a very dangerous situation. I proceeded to inform him that the small piece of debris stuck into the grill of the truck was indeed my vehicle, and I had not recovered all of personal belongings yet. His response was that he was an “official” ARES something or other and that I needed to heed his warnings.

He proceeded to show me his identification cards, and HAM license etc. to which I showed him my Bass Pro Shops Outdoor rewards card, which seemed to aggravate him even more. He started yelling and fussing about something, I really started to get angry. I should mention that I am 6' 300lbs with three tours of duty in the middle-east and this fellow was about 1 foot tall and about 99 pounds including all his radios, bat belt and tactical vest. Around this time the police officer, seemed to sense that I was about to pound this guy into oblivion, got out of his patrol unit and walked over asking who he was. To which the ARES fellow responded with the same nonsense he had spewed to me. Another patrol car pulled up and the officer hopped out and asked, verbatim:

“What the fu– is that thing?” Pointing to the ARES mobile. The ARES guy went to his spiel again after which he asked to leave, to which he said he had some sort of aggreement with the State Police, the officers responded with telling him that they would more than happy to call the State Troopers to come pick him up after they brought him back to the station house. The ARES dude, then huffed and puffed about legal ramifications and then got into his “emergency vehicle” and drove off.
Seriously, if you are really into ham radio, that's great. Take that enthusiasm and go design a better antenna or do some experiments that advance the art. But don't act like a tool by doing this stuff.

Have you ever taken an electronics/computer/math/science class at university and had that one guy in the class? The one that constantly mutters under his breath that he already knows all this stuff and always tries to correct the professor? :pseudo: It is my suspicion that those are the people that become whackers when they begin to get involved with ham radio. I can understand taking a lot of pride in what you do, but don't demand respect just because you are wearing a funny hat with strobes on it. Yikes.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

bladernr posted:

As far as I know, that's accepted practice at all test sites, but YMMV so disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer :) but at the very least, be sure to ask the VEs if that is still allowed.
This is still the case. You can take the technician, general, and extra exams all in the same session for $14, if you know your stuff.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

My Technician license had long-since expired and been purged from the ULS database. When I was thinking of New Years resolutions around the start of this year, I decided that I should study for another Technician license for some mental exercise and to see how things have changed over the years. Everything came back to me fairly quickly, which is good, and I passed my Technician element exam at the beginning of March. I decided that I should challenge myself and keep going. I ordered the ARRL General and Extra license manuals and got to work. Last night, I received this:

I owe much of my success to the training videos from NRHARC on Youtube (which I highly recommend).

General: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs_Ab58w9LI9T0qCOsOD25KKTCAV92L5W
Extra: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs_Ab58w9LI_6ENIq9q8geKXTrtHDT6ns

I watched both playlists at 1.5x speed and still understood it all (the instructors speak very, very slowly), so the 7 hours for the General playlist and 20+ hours for the Extra playlist aren't as bad as you would think. You also shave off a lot of time if you skip ahead 30 seconds here and there through material you may already know, questions, introductions, etc. The ARRL Extra Class license manual was much easier to understand after watching the videos, and I took a bunch of sample tests using https://www.aa9pw.com/ for practice.