Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I finally got off my butt and took the Technician Exam.

Then they asked me if I wanted to take the General right then, but having not looked at any of the question pool ahead of time I missed it by 2. So I'll try that again in a month or two and it looks like Extra would also be easy if I just study for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
See, i'm the opposite. I've been working on electronics and circuitry for years now. Complex impedance and antenna theory and amplifiers are things I know. What is the ERP of 150W blah -4db blah blah +7dbi etc and complex impedances are what I understand.

Its stuff like "What is a zepp antenna" that I guess on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also what is the obscure english word for getting a radio licence and then immediately wanting to go ham on building a radio tower in the middle of my rural forest.

because uhhhh

(I do CAD for fun, i'm not actually going to build a 60ft tower... maybe)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Stop no don't encourage this behavior

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well if its for a good cause :hmmyes:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well i've got 120ft old growth trees to deal with, so I think if I ever do put one up it will have to be more than a telephone pole. If I ever do get offered a bunch of nearly free tower sections. But this will be a multi year things because my idea right now is just to do passive reception and route it to a web gui. I'll figure out more to do eventually.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Licensing? Grover was a licensed electrical inspector at the end and he'd obviously say its alright!

(It is alright, its just not up to modern safety standards. Just buy new commercial units and not garage sale jank that someone may have tinkered with internally and you won't have any issue)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Curly Shuffle posted:

One of those plug-in outlet testers shows I have a good ground in the outbuilding I use for my radio shack. I sank an 8' ground rod right outside the shack next to where my feed lines come in. My power supply, transceiver, tuner, and end-fed sloper are all grounded to the ground rod. Is it cool that I have essentially two paths to ground (the ground rod outside the shack and wherever the AC outlets are grounded to)?

No. A network should only ever have one earth ground, with all the systems ground wires returning to that point where its also tied into the neutral.

You can get a 1:1 transformer and a breaker panel to make your outbuilding its own power distribution network, tied to that new ground rod.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Motronic posted:

No 1:1 transformer. A properly installed subpanel in an outbuilding will have the grounds and neutrals separated and will have it's own grounding system that is bonded to the existing grounds at the main panel or wherever the location of the one and only ground-neutral bond is in the system.

Well yeah but that's still only one earth ground. Thats how my shed is setup. The transformer is only if you for whatever reason actual need a separate earth point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If you do have an independent ground it should never be floating, it should be earthed. And this if there is a voltage fault to ground it will ground it and trip the protection circuits.

Grounding an external wire antenna is more like doing a lightning rod, and you definitely don't want that tied into your residential ground.

You can put a big 100k power resistor between the two to prevent the few volts they may drift if you really want.